How is your weather? (Part 1)

im not complaining but I’ve never seen a JB here. i guess we are lucky for now.

1 Like

Saw my first Japanese beetles in Corbin KY…the year 1977…up the fence row behind the original Kentucky Fried Chicken store…eating up sasafrass trees like they were candy. I know they’ve since migrated slowly as far west as the Rocky Mountains…but I don’t know how far north they survive.

1 Like

They survive fine in the Minneapolis area.

4 Likes

Hot and humid…should stay hot thru monday…slight slight cool off…and then a better cool off late week. Probably AC weather thru mid/late week around here…then maybe a break.

Chip budded for a few hours. 89F and more humdity…sweaty mess. I didn’t chip bud at all last year so i want to move some stuff around.

Last week i had to chainsaw off a large apricot branch that finally gave out from last winter…it wasn’t doing much and finally the leaves just all curled up…

Turning crusty around here. The lawns are quickly browning up. The soil is mostly sand so it doesn’t take much to go from lush to crust. Ever so slight rain chance this weekend…Monday night looks the best chance.

2 Likes

Gotten dry again, so today I’m going to water a couple of trees in prep for budding on Monday

1 Like

I did some more budding. I’ve done pluots, peaches and cots so far… The cots being the most annoying and peaches being the easiest. One problem i have is using tiny budwood…my container trees put out very little growth so while there is mature buds to use, they are tiny…so a little annoying to deal with…Still have to put a satsuma on 2 more trees and then i should be about done… I’m going to get rid of most of the container trees after this. I’m going to keep the containers to the tropicals.

86F/65F … ragweed should really get going here in the next week. (fun).

1 Like

It started to hit me today

Gonna wait a couple days for budding - still too hot and dry

1 Like

I placed about 30 buds this weekend…we’ll see how many actually make it. Some looked real good others are …eh… I won’t know until spring.

91F and humid with lots of wind. Storms to the north…should push thru here in a few hours i think. Been 8 days with no rain and its amazing how dry everything is now. Only good thing is shouldn’t need to mow anytime soon.

Extended looks very mild…no heatwaves in sight. Should see lots of 70-low 80F ish temps…overnight lows drop to the 50Fs late week. I noticed the last round of cool weather triggered my potted strawberries into blooming a bunch (everbearing).

2 Likes

Glad I got out in the heat earlier today to mow as we’ve had a couple storms blow through tonight, with another coming in, I can hear it rumbling now to the west.

My Mom is here visiting us, and we had finished supper this evening and decided to clear off the table and play some dominoes. It was rumbling outside, and raining pretty good, we need it. Anyway, we were just sitting there playing and BOOOM! lightning struck very close by, just a flash and instant explosion. It sounded like someone fired off a shotgun at the front door. My wife screamed, thought we got hit.

I don’t know where it struck but it had to be within a couple hundred yards. We are up on a hillside, almost surrounded by big trees, so I’m surprised we don’t get more close calls.

Anyone on here ever have a really close encounter with lightning?

1 Like

Getting a nice toad strangler we desperately needed, just like a cow peeing on a flat rock, a real gully washer. Do you have any other raining hard euphemisms? raining cats and dogs?

3 Likes

Was 90s now is 60s-70s

3 Likes

Delugeous

4 Likes

No rain, but grey skies. A tad humid, a very gentle breeze, and one can wear pants or shorts.
Perfect day to go to the county fair!

4 Likes

Humidity dropping, pressure rising, and They Say it’ll cool off some overnite.

2 Likes

Fantastic, I want to hear more!!!

1 Like

Typical August…warm, high humidity and thunderstorms…temps aren’t ridiculously high and we’re expecting a bit of a break next week when the highs come down to the low 90’s, and then 80’s towards the end of the week…

This is the best part though, tropics are quiet…hopefully I didn’t jinx it…

3 Likes

It has been dry the past few week…very warm and dry. Cool overnight …looks wet weekend though…high chances of rain Sat…some Sun and again Monday. Hope this pattern isn’t turning wet again. Kind of liking this dry…don’t need to mow anymore.

2 Likes

Hardly any rain anywhere…but torrents of rainwater were pouring off the cliffs into the Kentucky river around 5 p.m. today just south of Lexington.

1 Like

My DeafBlind former university roommate lives in Jacksonville

1 Like

Cooling just a bit!

2 Likes