How is your weather? (Part 1)

Fair turning to poor turning to dreadful

2 Likes

praying for you guys! stay safe!

1 Like

Iā€™m heading to my place by Tallahassee. It looks to be better farther north and well inland obviously. Iā€™ll go up tonight. People in The Villages where Iā€™ve been working are going full on stupid crazy already. Dumb northernersā€¦,ā€¦lol

3 Likes

i guess its better to over react than under :wink: that said, id dig in and ride it out but Iā€™m just a weather nut like that. if i was in tornado alley id probably be a storm chaser.

2 Likes

Euro takes it right at (maybe a tad south) L Okeechobee and then does a hard right turn over FLorida and goes right thru the middle of the state northwardā€¦ maybe landfall Wpalm beach or somewhere in that regionā€¦

landfall

I havenā€™t ran the AC in close to a week. Amazing that it was almost cold last night sleeping. Winds h owling again today but back out of the southā€¦clouds looking like rain but radar empty locallyā€¦ One of the strangest/coolest/cloudiest Augustā€™s in my recent memory. Reminds me a lot of August of '97ā€¦there was also an August in 03 or 2004 ish that i remember seeing frost on the 25th.

2 Likes

1 Like

Disaster scenario.

4 Likes

That would be interesting, Luisport.

I doubt that trackā€¦but we shall seeā€¦Monday is a ways out, and they arenā€™t even good with 24 hours ahead!

(As I posted somewhere, a couple days agoā€¦might be a 90 mph stormā€¦or twice that. But it doesnā€™t look good for Florida!)

3 Likes

Having thankfully dodged Dorian, we were blessed with a gorgeous sunset yesterday.

while we were lucky, I know a lot of folks up in the Carolinas got slammedā€¦hopefully anyone among the growing fruit community that was in path is safe.

4 Likes

my stepson is under a hurricane watch in Halifax, N.S. supposed to get 95mph winds there. many are evacuating the s.w coast of nova scotia.

3 Likes

What a freakin stormā€¦So lucky it bypassed usā€¦:astonished:

1 Like

WTNT65 KNHC 061255
TCUAT5

Hurricane Dorian Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL052019
900 AM EDT Fri Sep 06 2019

ā€¦DORIAN MAKES LANDFALL OVER CAPE HATTERASā€¦

Surface and radar data indicate that the center of Hurricane Dorian
made landfall at 835 AM EDT (1235 UTC) over Cape Hatteras, North
Carolina. Maximum sustained winds were near 90 mph (150 km/h) with
a minimum central pressure of 956 mbā€¦28.23 inches.

A Weatherflow station at Ocracoke, North Carolina, recently
reported a sustained wind of 73 mph (117 km/h) and a wind gust of
89 mph (143 km/h). Other stations at Hatteras High School and
Buxton both recently reported a minimum central pressure of 957
mbā€¦28.26 inches.

SUMMARY OF 900 AM EDTā€¦1300 UTCā€¦INFORMATION

LOCATIONā€¦35.3N 75.5W
ABOUT 5 MIā€¦5 KM NE OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDSā€¦90 MPHā€¦150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENTā€¦NE OR 50 DEGREES AT 14 MPHā€¦22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSUREā€¦956 MBā€¦28.23 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Blake

Iā€™ve always been interested in weather, but I think as you get older you get ā€œmoreā€ interestedā€¦Found myself looking at personal weather stations but never pulled the trigger. I think Iā€™m finally ready. Was eyeing this one in particularā€¦ambient weather ws-2902, seems to have really good reviews.

Mainly Iā€™d like to be able to link up to weatherunderground and also see what the weather is doing at my house when Iā€™m away and track historical data. This unit looks like it can do all of that right out of the box for a pretty reasonable priceā€¦I recall there was a thread on this topic, but couldnā€™t find itā€¦if someone can point me in that direction Iā€™ll move this post over there. Thoughts?

2 Likes

My thoughts are that every time a new weather station hooks up with Weather Channel or Weather Undergroundā€¦it give them that many more ā€œRECORD HIGHSā€ for the current year!

(They donā€™t tell you that the 114 old standby stations of NOAA show there is no temperature increase in the US in the past 15 years!)

1 Like

Here is a picture of the outer edge crossing over us Wednesday evening. The worst was Thursday morning but it was not bad and we had little damage.

7 Likes

Pretty excited, got my weather station up and running yesterday. Once I found a good location, the rest was easy. Able to report in real-time on Weather Underground and Ambient weatherā€¦

Station ID: KFLJACKS3469

https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/a98ebc20a30986b39b927137e42d7bb3

2 Likes

We still have not had a decent rain in over a month. I few sprinkles here and there. The ground is as hard as cement. Not a downpour just a slow steady rain. Nothing is site for the next 10 days.

1 Like

I am watering twice a week. So far lost about 5, or said another way, about 3%, of my container trees at this juncture. Only 2 to 2.5 inches rain since Week of July 4th.

Seedling pawpaws seem unusually able to hang in under dried out conditions.
And one 3 year old I thought had died from lack of waterā€¦put out new growth when I soaked it good. So, itā€™s apples, plus a few other, that Iā€™m having a time with keeping wet under these conditions.

(And we were waay ahead for the year up until thenā€¦the ā€˜spigotā€™ got turned off.)

Last year I didnā€™t have to water hardly at all. We got about 80 inches last year.

1 Like

I think we have had just about as much rain as you have had. Not much at all. I am on a well so I cannot water as much as I would like to. I have enough to use inside my house and that is about all. We REALLY need rain, a day or two of a slow steady rain.
We were way ahead of last year, even more than about 20 years of rain up until about the end of June. Like you said, the spigot just got turned off.

2 Likes

Ours comes in humidity. Although we have had rain as well. Everything is dripping in the mornings. Hell keeping up with the grassā€¦

2 Likes