How is your weather? (Part 1)

Last year iirc no frost here til Nov, leaves still on the trees in Dec

Now that is something. Up here we had pretty much frost/freeze everyday from Oct 12 thru the 24th…coldest morning being 26F on the 21st of Oct. Then November 9th was 21F and the 10th was 18F so that was that… A lot of plants will hang in there during the upper 20Fs/low 30Fs…but once the teens show up it is game over.

Sever weather later tonite…something to watch. Cold front moving thru.

Should be in the 80Fs today… Starting to get to that point where we won’t see 80F again until next spring/early summer… Next Monday/Tues looks clost to 80F…after that i would probably say bye bye to summer warmth…as we enter October the temps really plummet back to typical fall weather.

1 Like

Perfect start to the day here…Nice mild temps and 5 days since the last measurable rain fall. Although the forecast is calling for a high near 95 that will challenge our 1961 record…Not sure where in town that particular weather station is or if was relocated since 1961 (that would be interesting to know). My bet is we top out at around 92…guess we’ll see…

3 Likes

The storms last night produced 5 tnads in Iowa and 1 in Wisconsin. Very nice light show with a lot of lightning.

If the month ended right now this would be the warmest Sept ever …temps are running +6F … #1 warmest was 2015 and 2016 was the 7th warmest…still some time for monthly avg to drop so not sure where we’ll end up. Temp forecast is 70F ish the rest of the month (Monday closer to 80F)…but overnight temps will bring it down.

Over an inch of rain last night. That puts the rain total here for Sept at 6.55 inches. Depending on how late week goes with a very good chance of rain/storms Friday…we might break into the top 10 of wettest Sept on record…#10 is just over 7 inches…so 3/4 inch or so should do it. Another shot of rain for Sunday…

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah the NAEFS has been all over that cold shot into the Pacific Northwest. Looks like it has some staying power. The flip side is the monster ridge that looks to be stuck over the SE into the Ohio Valley/East coast…should see record heat in those areas.

3 Likes

The prognosticators were giving from 40 to 100 percent chance of showers and a chance of thunder early this morning…I do see a couple spots where the pavement outside is damp, but I surely didn’t hear no thunder. Technically, we may have gotten a ‘shower’ but it wouldn’t have been enough to ruin a letter printed with an ink jet printer!

1 Like
2 Likes

Yea!!! Holy Skamoly!

From The Weather Channel Android App: https://weather.com/storms/winter/video/major-winter-storm-this-weekend?pl=pl-the-latest

2 Likes

Second week of October looking pretty chilly across the northern states…

73F today with dewpoints around 40F… very dry air. I’ve slowly been ripping out most of my garden.

3 Likes

My fall brassicas just coming in - not time to do that yet.

1 Like

My purple headed cauliflower or whatever it was i started maybe last March…finally headed up maybe a month back. I probably should pick it. The cabbage loopers have been horrible. I squished a bunch of them the other day. My plants i started at the end of July are growing pretty quickly…i also have some heading lettuce that looks good. I think if i can time this stuff right fall time might be the better way to go with this stuff.

Here is one of them…i had 2 heads like this. What they did was form heads on side branches…the main stem still never formed a head…so i cut them all down.

Pouring here this morning. Maybe another 1/2 of rain. Dry tomorrow and then rain Sun and onwards. Ugh.

Next week on GFs not looking nearly as cold. Maybe low/mid 40Fs late week. Prior ones had it showing a chance to drop near freezing…so the season marches on.

4 Likes

Here in northern VA it has been dry, dry, dry. Every time I take a look at the 10-day forecast hoping to see some rain coming, nothing.

Whenever I walk the dog I look around at the trees and see a lot going yellow and brown in sections and some looking like they have just died. I saw 9 big oaks along one 1/4 mile stretch in my neighborhood with all brown leaves, looking dry and dead. I lost a few apple trees I had in a nursery area from not keeping an eye on them and watering enough. I’m watering the main trees and gardens fairly regularly, but they really need a deep soak.

1 Like

Chance of first frost tonight. I’d like another 7-10 days to keep picking fall red raspberries, but it is getting to be that time.

1 Like

we’ve had 2 but didn’t hit us on the hill here yet. i hear you about the fall raspberries. they are 2 weeks behind because our cold spring and just started to produce last week. autumn britten, polka and jaclyn. my floro. rasps. prelude, cascade gold and ACC eden should give me a good 1st harvest next summer. baby cakes blackberries still have a lot to ripen also. supposed to get a good frost here sun. night. maybe we will dodge the bullet again. :wink:

4 Likes

Don’t even try to grow broc and caul in the spring anymore. Fall is the right time for it, unless you plant too late and get frozen out

1 Like

36 this morning. The raspberries get another a few days at least. Next chance of frost is Thursday

2 Likes

suposed to hit 28 sun. night here. they may be all done.

2 Likes

Geez…72 here last night. I’m going up to Northern Kentucky this week , Weds.Thurs. Friday, looks like 90’s there until Friday…Heat has been tough this year…

1 Like

our average for October