How is your weather? (Part 1)

I’m actually due West of Boulder up in the foothills, roughly 3000’ up in elevation from Denver. But yes, the weather here is a bit easier to take (even up by me) than other areas which are consistently cold and cloudy in the winter. But as fruitnut points out, the fruit rees would prefer a constant cold over the swings to warm sunny and back to winter again; although we humans love it.

That front is thru here now. Went from near 70F and sunny during the day to 30F and freezing drizzle and fog right now. Supposed to get down to 15F or so tonight and tomorrow night. Then back to sunny and 60F+ next week. I’ll see how the fruit rees with leaves handle it.

1 Like

Mild day here…mid 60Fs…some sprinkles here and there…clouds. Looks like after midnite the cold air comes in and it’s a cold weekend. I’m having doubts about a hard freeze/frost locally…models look too warm…with wind and clouds…should get plenty of mixing. If we make it thru this stretch…growing season should continue on until late October…because more mild air moves in next week and on. Having said all that i still get to move in all my tropicals tonite for the weekend.

Shh… we know it is coming. There is no need to talk about it… :sob:

I really hope i never see -33F in my lifetime. I also hope we get no snow this winter :slight_smile: Cold is nothing to me…it is the snow that i just don’t really like.

North Dakota is going to get hammered…a new glacier going to start forming?

3 Likes

Surprised not to see frost warning - forecast low has dropped to 33 F

Tested a Fuji today, still not ripe. Gonna keep them on the tree if it’s not supposed to drop below 33 F.

Probably no frost here…freeze is looking unlikely… Models don’t seem cold enough. Add in wind/clouds…should be ok. If we get thru Monday…looks mild until late month. Could have a late freeze.

Bad stuff here…

From The Weather Channel Android App: Santa Ana Winds Create Extreme Wildfire Danger in California - Videos from The Weather Channel | weather.com

Light snow showers here this morning, 30 degrees right now. Sounds like maybe up to 3" of snow by tomorrow a.m. At least we’re not getting hit like the Dakotas.

About a 1/4 of rain here…temp sitting at 42F. Just above freezing the next 3 nights…something to watch. Brought all my plants inside.

Denver dropped to 9F this morning… not sure but that sounds like a record…after 83F just a couple days ago.

That storm has largely past us now. Got maybe 3" of snow and likely an equal amount of water as frost/ice as the storm brought a freezing fog for most of the time it was up here. Min temps last nite were 10F, with it being around 18F most of the day yesterday.Fruit trees were in full leaf still, and sagging quite badly from the combined weight of snow and ice/frost. I knocked off what snow I could yesterday, but the ice wasn’t coming off. The tree leaves sounded like china, hard and brittle when I was removing the snow, very easy to break them off.

Should get back to more typical fall weather now, mid 50’s for highs and around freezing for lows. We will see how the trees take this sudden freeze we had.

1 Like

Yeah…10F after such warm weather… it will be interesting to see what happens next spring when things get going again. I was reading in Idaho they were going full bore to try to harvest the remaining onions in the ground (maybe taters too?)… Snows weren’t that impressive…i think nws showed the highest was 9 inches somewhere in the mountains.

The record low for Today in Denver is 22F set in 1946…so that record got smashed.

One other thing…a nasty Typhoon is heading towards Tokyo… Japan just got hit a few weeks ago by a powerful Typhoon…this could be the worst hit since the 50’s in Tokyo.

1 Like

Snow flurries today! They didn’t last long but they were there… many trees have not changed color or dropped leaves yet and my strawberries are mid bloom.

Thinking about moving South or West to get more growing days. Husband likes the Pacific NW. Maybe just one more winter here in the frozen North.

2 Likes

Agreed! These winters are just too long. I’m 46 now, by the time I’m 60 I want to be in a position to get out of here 3 months a year.

2 Likes

I would love to live here but be a snowbird. That would be the dream right there. I hope you’re able to make it happen!

2 Likes

My cousin lives in Rochester. He HATES the winter…with a passion…but has a house/job there. I think he wants to go west. Years ago it was California but now i think its more Arizona or even Texas. I’m thinking he must be about 50 now. The guy travels a lot to get away from Rochester it would seem. My brother and nephew also have homes in Rochester (think they are both south of the city a little now…they move a lot) but all they do is hunt and fish so they love this time of year.

Me… give me a UK type of climate. Mild…some cold, some warm but overall mostly pleasant. Not the humidity we get either…that is what kills summer. Plants love it…i don’t ::slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like you’re familiar with the town. Have you spent much time in Rochester? It’s an interesting place. When I moved her in 1999 it had a small town feel to it. The population has doubled at least since then. Housing costs are rising fast, my home has gone up in value so much that I couldn’t have afforded it if i’d waited a year to buy. The schools are bursting at the seams. There’s still not much to do though, as downtown is all mayo clinic. It is better than it used to be though.

As for hunting and fishing, I could see hunting being great around here if you have a place to go. I see deer and turkey all the time. Fishing, don’t get me started. I grew up in Northern MN past Mille Lacs lake and the fishing here is abysmal comparatively. There are no natural lakes in this county. They’re all man made overfished stocked ponds. There’s Canada geese everywhere but you can’t hunt them. They just make a mess. :slight_smile:

I love having all four seasons but who needs -40 windchills?? Not me!!! I feel the same way that you do, some cold but mostly mild, and less humid would be wonderful.

1 Like

You people south and east of me 2 - 4 hours complaining about cold and winter bring some humor to my life. Pretty much like my complaining does to someone in Ely or Warroad I imagine.

2 Likes

One of my brothers moved there in the mid 80s…back then you could buy a house pretty cheap. I remember their first house was off 52 near the mall. Since then they’ve jumped around the city… I haven’t looked at prices up there lately, but if it is like here they’ve skyrocketed. We use to do all our school shopping up there (TJmaxx///no clothes tax).

Silver Lake is the goose hotspot…or it was. That place was disgusting.

You can fish the Zumbro River. :slight_smile: I think most people come over to the Mississippi or head north to Brainerd/Rainy or L of the Woods… Mille Lacs is insane because everybody and their brother ice fishes on it.

41F here…windy. Temp hasn’t done much today.

1 Like