How is your weather? (Part 1)

This is a nice cool down for us. I can’t wait!

3 Likes

I picked the full grown peppers but left the plants, they’re still alive and maybe the little peppers will get bigger

1 Like

No rain, or cool down for us. Could someone tell mother nature “it’s fall”? lol

i have 4 in the greenhouse still going after 4 frosts. almost ripened. leaving them to see how far they will go.

1 Like

Do you use any sort of heat in your greenhouse? Do you keep anything going over winter?

Stuck at 50F and wind here. Should warm up late week. Still no hard freeze until at least late month.

no. surprising the frosts haven’t killed them in there yet. mines a portable but i leave the frame and remove the cover in the winter. its only held in place with velcro. 10’ by 20’ 7 1/2’ high from amazon. cover has lasted me 3 yrs. so far but uv is taking its toll.

I knew a guy east of here who built a greenhouse using those polycarbonate greenhouse panels. I guess it worked well but even keeping it warm in the winter, he saw very little growth during winter until about mid February…and it was costing him a small fortune.

I have a few LED panels now that i’ve got plants under. They seem to be getting cheaper and better.

There is a dude with a website that grows pineapples inside his house year round and has been fruiting them for years.

3 Likes

i have 2 leds that were meant to grow cannabis. they work great for growing herbs , veggies and starting seedlings . i know of some folks here that tried growing year round but found it way too expensive to heat. the nurseries don’t start their seedlings until late april / early may here.

My GH experience (and that of other GH growers here) is that plants may survive in Dec and Jan if you have enough heat, but there is little to no growth. Plants don’t really start growing again until there are 10+ hours of light per day (artificial or natural).

Then again, the extra lighting can help with the heating too, so perhaps not all bad. But usually I just wait til Feb each year…

1 Like

…TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS ISSUED FOR PORTIONS OF THE NORTHERN GULF COAST…

Special Message from NHC Issued 17 Oct 2019 14:27 UTC
NHC will initiate advisories on Potential Tropical Cyclone Sixteen, located over the southwestern Gulf of Mexico, at 10 AM CDT.

2 Likes

WTNT31 KNHC 171456
TCPAT1

BULLETIN
Potential Tropical Cyclone Sixteen Advisory Number 1
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL162019
1000 AM CDT Thu Oct 17 2019

…DISTURBANCE OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO EXPECTED TO
DEVELOP INTO A TROPICAL OR SUBTROPICAL STORM LATER TODAY OR
TONIGHT…
…TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS ISSUED FOR PORTIONS OF THE NORTHERN GULF
COAST…

SUMMARY OF 1000 AM CDT…1500 UTC…INFORMATION

LOCATION…22.4N 95.7W
ABOUT 140 MI…225 KM E OF TAMPICO MEXICO
ABOUT 620 MI…995 KM SW OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS…35 MPH…55 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT…N OR 355 DEGREES AT 8 MPH…13 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE…1007 MB…29.74 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect from the Mississippi/Alabama
border to the Ochlockonee River, Florida.

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect from Grand Isle, Louisiana to
the Mouth of the Pearl River.

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect east of the Ochlockonee River to
Yankeetown, Florida.

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect from Indian Pass, Florida, to
Clearwater, Florida.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for…

• Mississippi/Alabama border to the Ochlockonee River, Florida
  • Grand Isle, Louisiana to the Mouth of the Pearl River

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for…

• East of the Ochlockonee River to Yankeetown, Florida

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for…

• Indian Pass to Clearwater, Florida
1 Like

Careful when you ask for rain in Florida. You might get it

3 Likes

we are getting pounded by a nor’easter right now. heavy rain and gusts to 45mph. that should take care of the last of the leaves.

3 Likes

Power was out for a few hrs last night. Had to bring the flags in off the flagpole it looked like it was going to come thru my bow window any second

2 Likes

1 Like

Yeah…impressive sat image today… its all blue skies and calm around here. Perfect fall day. Another month or 2 and that would be a big blizzard.

2 Likes

yep. if it was 10f colder it would have been a easy foot of snow. we’ve had permanent snow on the ground here as early as the 1st. week in oct.

No hard frost’s here yet. Still picking raspberries north of Minneapolis.

I still am eating a few Caroline. Mine are in a somewhat shaded spot so they don’t do the greatest but still give some berries.

1 Like

Last weekend i watched a bunch of videos of a couple who have been farming/homesteading/whatever you call it just north of Anchorage, AK (solar power/generator/wood heat). I am fascinated on how they do things up there–i couldn’t stop watching the videos on YT. I have come to realize it probably isn’t much different then growing crops in say north central Wisconsin except they have almost day long sunshine in the summer///and they don’t get the humidity up there. It does get into the 80Fs…but mostly 60Fs/70Fs and overnites seem to run in the 40Fs and 50Fs…even in July. They do grow beautiful cabbage /broccoli/carrots/potatoes… although they also use a high tunnel greenhouse for warm weather stuff (corn/tomato/peppers)… Everything must be fenced (moose/rabbits) The salmon fishing (they had a few videos) looked awesome–rivers are crystal clear. Not sure if i could do it up there, but the summers seem amazing and the firewood is endless (lots of beetle kill trees).

57F here…not a bad day…should add about 10F to that the next few days. All the plants are going out one last time for a long weekend.

2 Likes