How is your weather? (Part 1)

Both San Fran and LAX have not a drop of precip thru Nov 18th on the GFS. Looks like the dry warm trend continues …NAEFS even has record heat for North Cali mid Nov… Probably going to be a very warm November.

1 Like

Yep. It’s been back to drought like conditions this fall, after a pretty moist winter last year. Feels like summer never left.

Yep, we’re starting our 3rd day w/out power. Appreciating the generator and wood stove!

1 Like

Sorry to hear you are without power. We were without power last November for 7 days. It was not pretty.

Power was restored about 11:30 am this morning (Sunday). It was a minor inconvenience, we heat for the most part with wood anyway and we have a generator to run all that we need. Pales in comparison to what people suffered along the West Canada Creek here. Multiple bridges washed out, homes flooded including a retirement community, and even a couple camps washed down river. One of the local convenience stores was flooded and I can’t imagine what will have to be done to get their underground gas tanks up and running again.

5 Likes

I complained when we lost power for about half a day.i thought that was annoying. I hear you on a generator…i have one too just in case. If anything i can keep the freezer/food cold and the water running.

We are heading into some winter weather here this week after today/tomrrow… Lots of teens for lows in the extended…probably some snow Weds.

Still lots of leaves on the trees around here. I saw one good sized tree this morning that the leaves were still totally green. I’m guessing those will just freeze off.

Heading into mid and later November… the real cold (vs norms) moves into the northeast…while California /…desert southwest cooks…Nice time to go out to Phoenix/Vegas/etc…

2 Likes

I was thinking I might be able to till the leaves into the vegetable garden next week, if the dry prediction held out. Then I looked at the temps. Ground gonna be froze

Ground here is already starting to freeze up some. It was 26F this morning when i was in the car. It did warm a little this afternoon. Lots of sun today finally but the wind felt frigid. Should freeze up really good late this week…

Looks like the heavy snow stays south of the area again…

1 Like

South of YOUR area!

2 Likes

I’ll probably get like 50 inches of snow in April :slight_smile:

We recently went from 94 to 39 in 15 hrs. Also set an all time low for Oct by 8F. 16F vs 24F.

We have chinook winds but not like the Dakotas and Montana:

The largest recorded temperature change in one place over a 24-hour period occurred on January 15, 1972 in Loma, Montana, when the temperature rose from −54 to 49 °F (−47.8 to 9.4 °C). The most dramatic temperature changes occur in North American climates susceptible to Chinook winds.

Spearfish holds the world record for the fastest recorded temperature change . On January 22, 1943, at about 7:30 a.m. … The 49 °F or 27 °C rise in two minutes set a world record that still holds.

3 Likes

We watched “No Country For Old Men” the other day… I thought of you because one of the characters in that movie talks about Alpine, TX. Good movie.

3 to 5 inches of snow here…roads are a mess. A lot more fell then the model showed…ugh. I wonder if it melts or do we keep this until spring.
The chinook are amazing. I’ve always had this idea to drive out to Rapid City, SD (dead west of here about 600miles) during one of those really good ones in winter…where they can go into the 70Fs… while it’s like 10F here… Usually you get a good chinook when a cold front goes through south Florida… its just an observation i’ve seen many times of the years…if it’s cold in Miami…start watching for downsloping winds off the Black Hills.

1 Like

That’s pretty crazy right there, But then again we are talking about bipolar Texas climate lol
Those are impressive numbers. Our wild swings are mainly due to an extreme inversion layer with our single digit humidity. In the valleys here it was in the 30’s and 600’ elevation gain it was 62°.

1 Like

Down to 14F this morning… snow cover really helped the temps drop out. Sunshine today… Little warmup for the weekend and back down we go… highs next week only around 20F for Mon/Tues…that is colder then our normal lows.

1 Like

In the south of France it is rainy season. This period of rain on and off will take place through Nov. Then, in Dec. or Jan. There will be a few sprinkles of snow, but we have wind! Not the mistral thank goodness. That wind could easily blow the roof off of your house! We will then get a few days of sprinklings of snow in either Dec. or Jan. Probably end of Dec. from what I have heard. Last year it was 68F on Xmas day. Snow for atmosphere is just fine with me after too many years of the whole mess! I like the idea that there are four seasons here without extreme winter. We are only four hours or so from the French and Swiss alps. Go there is you want snow!

There is a gas fireplace here which is the only source of heat for the entire two story house. Most houses are four stories and involve far more complicated heating systems. I just miss the fragrance of the fire but not the mess.

Cozy in Uzès !

3 Likes

‘Sweet Moose!’

Rochester, MN was 1F this morning…they already are down to 6F … Could be heading for subzero reading … Areas of central WI should fall 0F to -10F overnight…records should be broken.

2 Likes
1 Like

Looks like we went to 9F here… Sparta just to the east dropped to -3F… and Black River Falls (ne of here) dropped to -8F. Man… some ugly cold air for this time of year.

2 Likes

23f for a high today. with windchill near 0f. tonights windchill is going to go -0f! even cold for us for early nov.