How is your weather? (Part 1)

Winters are colder and snowier here also, but I’m sure your location has always been snowier than here. Last summer was quite cool. Barely enough hot days to get the tomatoes to ripen

1 Like

I filled the snowblower gas tank all the way to the top yesterday and made sure it ran. If it doesn’t snow all winter in E-C Iowa, you are welcome. Lol.

1 Like

I’ve no doubt those strong gusts are going to knock down a lot of power poles (and obviously trees). Some prolonged power outages could be coming… That means water lift stations and drainage/sewage pumps…

the local news man reported we have the 9th snowiest novermber on record and we aren’t even done the month. last november was the 8th at 29.8in. avg. is 7.9in. we avg. 120in. of snow a year here.

1 Like

Ya, way more snow there. We average right around 45" annually. We’re a long ways from any big bodies of water, so there’s no lake or ocean effect snow. If you get up along the MN side of Lake Superior they get around 75-80" I think. I’d imagine the UP of MI gets quite a bit more than northeast MN.

1 Like

The snowiest part of Wisconsin is Hurley…that sits just south of Lake Superior… avg 167 inches…which is insane…we avg low 40 inches here … in 96/97 Hurley had over 300 inches.

This storm i’m saying 2 to 4 inches locally…

Sierra Nevada in California will be measuring snow in feet with the storms out there.

2 Likes

we broke our record in the winter of 07’-08’ at 200’’ and we’ve been getting above average snowfalls ever since. before that we were getting below average snow and much warmer winters. one year we got our 1st. snow 3 days before x mas.

1 Like

It’s the cosmic rays, man.

1 Like

It’s starting!

2 Likes

Oh my. That’s looks brutal. :astonished:

1 Like

Yes it is! Very very dangerous!

Sitting at 41F with sunshine… This is going to be a sloppy mess around here. Still think snowfall totals aren’t going to be impressive until you get north of this area. Newest model runs still show mostly rain here in the river valley. Between now and Sat we could be looking at over 2 inches of liquid …lot of rain for this time of year.

The storm late week/weekend looks warmer so should be mainly a liquid system.

1st week of December looks very chilly in the west…some record cold i would imagine by the looks of the naefs…

1 Like

As a comparison…here in 5A Central Maine…we have bare ground. Yesterday was 50 degrees & today in low 40s…I’m going to fin finish up wrapping tree trunks because next week looks like true winter.

1 Like

Ice is the name of the game where I am now. I remember my childhood was filled with the white stuff…now ice is an unfortunate reality through the entire winter…definitely more precipitation of all kinds in recent winters. Winter comes earlier and stays later…but its up and down temp wise.

1 Like

That’s quite a variance in a relatively small (acre wise) state.

1 Like

About 350 miles from South to North though…and of course the ocean influence accounting for the biggest variance.

1 Like

About an inch of snow/slop here…winds blowing about 40mph…there is one band of snow that might clip us in a few hours…not sure… About .70 of liquid precip… so gfs was a little too wet with this one…