How is your weather? (Part 1)

we’ll see close to 100 degree days in the summer with 100% humidity…To your point you learn how to cope with the environment and how you dress is key…I was well dressed to be outside in those conditions, multiple layers and what not, but once I got cold that was it…down here when it’s hot you just do things a bit more slowly…I might call ice fishing in 0 degrees a bit crazy…

1 Like

It is in the 50’s these last few days here in SW Ohio. It is supposed to rain the next two days here. I am actually sitting outdoors at my patio table and chairs on my computer now. Interesting weather for January.

2 Likes

One day reprieve. Mid 20s today. Back to single digit highs and below zero lows for the foreseeable future starting tomorrow. Daily snowshoe trek is starting to get old, but there’s an awful lot of winter left.

1 Like

Short Range Forecast Discussion
NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD
307 PM EST Thu Jan 09 2020

Valid 00Z Fri Jan 10 2020 - 00Z Sun Jan 12 2020

…Heavy rain, flash flooding, and severe weather will increase throughout the day on Friday across the central U.S. ahead of a developing low pressure system…

A strengthening trough will be in place over much of the western states into the weekend. Meanwhile surface fronts will slowly move eastward while providing a focus for a broad area of 1 to 2+ inches. The rainfall coverage and intensity will steadily increase along the High Plains, Midwest and for portions of the Mississippi Valley where Gulf moisture will feed northward near the fronts resulting in an additional 1 to 3 inches. Due to the slow progression of this system, storm motion will be slow and expected to track over the sames area. This will become become problematic as soils become saturated. A large portion of the central U.S. will likely reach or exceed flash flooding conditions. The area will the best possibility for excessive rainfall spans from northeast Texas to southwest Missouri, with a broader area from eastern Texas/western Louisiana to southern Michigan. Additionally, the Storm Prediction Center has outlooked a Moderate Risk of severe weather on Friday for parts of the Southern Plains to Lower Mississippi Valley.

We’ve been around 50 this week in Nebraska, and have planted some black walnut seeds in areas that would often be frozen (unless insulated by snow). Planting seeds in January. I’m not complaining!

1 Like

Expect flash flood watches to be issued from east Texas northward in the mid MS valley.

Rain this morning… streets turned to ice skating rinks but salt trucks were out in force…

This winter has been so weird…its like the longest fall ever… not really cold yet…not really winter in these parts…

“wintry mix” on the way

Day 1 Convective Outlook
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0652 AM CST Fri Jan 10 2020

An outbreak of severe thunderstorms is possible later today through tonight, with the most dangerous portion being tonight into early Saturday morning with a potential derecho and embedded strong tornado risk . Primary changes this outlook are to expand the Moderate Risk east across the Lower MS Valley and increase tornado probabilities for the evening/overnight period.

GFS says game over next week… Lots of cold air heading this way. Pattern change. The 20th/21st would both see subzero high temps… ugh… i guess it has to happen.

Still no snow here…

2 Likes

You’re more than welcome to take ours for the rest of the winter

1 Like

It IS supposed to be winter

no…this has been amazing. very weird though… it feels like November still… one of the weirdest late fall/early winters i can think of… too bad its going to do a last year and flip hard… we also started last Jan warm and then flipped to -30F… so who knows.

I think it’ll start to feel like a proper winter again real soon! :open_mouth:

Snow came this evening and very windy at the moment.

Thanks for the map…but I tend to think it’s a bit exaggerated but we will see.

I agree. GFS tends to overshoot the cold. But still worth watching. Seems a pattern shift in a couple of weeks seems to be the direction of most forecasters.

1 Like

GFS is almost always too cold…but…there are times when it isn’t. The issue right now is snowcover…without snow this time of year…it is about 10F warmer then it would be with typical snowcover… I will say the cold weds morning… (it was 4F here…without snow…with snow that would have easily been -10)… was shown on maps almost 2 weeks ago (i know because i had an appt on that day so i was looking way out ot see what hte weather would be like))… I really think the weatherman may one day go away…once models become even more accurate … Alexa what will the temp be 11 days from now… “bla blah blah…and blah blah blah”,

Jan 18-24… looks awfully cold in the central US… Whole country look cool…except Florida…

1 Like