How is your weather? (Part 1)

6-9" today and tonight. Ground blizzard tomorrow with 35-45 mph winds and -20 to -35 windchill. I saw on the news that MNDOT is using dozers to push snow as far back off the Interstate as possible in western MN to help with drifting. Looks like it’s gonna be ugly.

2 Likes

Wind here was crazy last night. Thankfully, it only had about 4-5 inches of snow to blow around…still some sizable drifts in some areas though.

1 Like

supposed to get nasty here the next couple days with
-0f windchills.

1 Like

Snow is a few hours out here… Can you imagine rush hour tonite on 94/52/i90… holy cats it is going to be ugly… I’ve driven 52 south out of the cities during an ice storm years ago and those were probably the worst driving conditions i’ve ever experienced…like you couldn’t go more then about 25 or 30mph…cars would pass but they would go flying off the road …witnessed that several times…no better time to be in a hurry then in an ice storm :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just started snowing in Des Moines. Can’t see 75’ off the end of the deck. We’re supposed to get 3-5" with ice in the middle of the day.

Looks like about 8°F overnight last night in beautiful, bustling downtown Sheboygan, WI. Snow tonight, and more cold Sat and Sun night.

I once drove from the west side of Oklahoma City to TX/OK border, not much more than 100 miles on I-40 in 8 hours. Nothing but ice. At that point, 3am, I did a 720 spin in the middle of the road. But I did get home by dawn.

At least it’s Friday. Traffic in the cities is always a lot lighter on Friday. If you’ve never been in a blizzard in western MN or the eastern Dakotas…consider yourself lucky. There is nothing to slow down the wind for miles and miles and miles. It’s crazy

Snows and sleets now with wind blows up to 30 mph. The temp will drops to -7F at night this coming weekend. Oh well, Z5 weather.

Some friends of ours lived in North Dakota for a few years and they couldn’t wait to get away (because of the winters). They are in Minneapolis area now.

Snow is building here… few inches already.

Earlier today the gas stations/stores were so busy you would have thought the end of the world was near.

2 Likes

6" of heavy, wet, sticky sn~~ here. Temps to go down to 5—10°F tonite. Temptation is to do the least amount of clearing, but, if I don’t move it all, it’s gonna set like concrete.

Our coldest weather of the year… Just saying…:grin:

1 Like

Have you had a freeze yet?

Flurries here …only 3 inches of snow fell…so storm was a little bit of a dud… here comes the cold now…was 31F a few hours ago…now 16F.

No. Only two minor frosts. We don’t usually get an actual freeze.

That 28° coming up Tuesday will get you pretty close to a freeze. Looks like your all time record low was a shocking 4°!!. If you ever see that again, you’ll certainly have a freeze on your hands lol :snowman::rofl:

1 Like

I was living in Highlands County, FL …. if I remember correctly, winter 2008/2009? when it got to 17 degrees twice.
(You should have seen the gecko’s falling out of trees and off fences!)

1 Like

True it can get pretty cold. It almost never lasts more than a day or two though. I’ve had a few busted frozen water pipes but just exposed ones. We don’t have a frost line for pipe burial.

It was 18-24 inches in Ohio when I lived there. It damn sure is hot in the summer though.

My blackberries, hyacinths and Chestnut are getting buds. Nothing open yet. My horseradish is massive and happy as hell right now. And I’ll plant onions and potatoes pretty soon and probably some lettuce and carrots. Probably mid February. Those will withstand a few mild frosts if we get any.

3 Likes

Don’t get to feeling too secure, there’s likely to be a cold snap in February, maybe more than one. Based upon through Jan 18th, my part of Kentucky should be rated Zone 8b…so obviously we’ve not had winter yet!
We are Z. 6b.

-2 with a -25 windchill. Should give an idea of how strong the wind is

Holy crap!!!