How is your weather? (Part 1)

Oh yeah. Our last frost is usually mid March to early April. Some years we get several frosts some years none. Really hard to say. 8B is a weird zone being close to the gulf but only 25 miles from Georgia.

I don’t worry much about it. I just plant things that can withstand frost up to late March. Then I’ll go full on. I didn’t do much last year I was exhausted from work and waiting for a knee replacement in November. I was struggling most of the year with the knee. I’m doing well now and looking forward to doing more items with less of each veggie this year :grin:

3 Likes

Well bundle up, you’ll be cold soon!:grin:
Our air temp is zero with a 20 mph wind outa the north.

1 Like

Hahaha!!! My wife and I are originally from Ohio. Me Columbus and her Cleveland. We actually like putting on the sweaters and jackets now and again. It’s that frigid Cleveland type weather we just never want to see again!

1 Like

Nice!
Will be starting my tomato and my pepper seeds in a couple of weeks myself. Would love to find a place plant some onion starts too. Just too tough to buy descent size property in these parts.

1 Like

I know what you mean. I’m fortunate here. I’ve been growing the Texas 1015 super sweets here with great success. I bought the whites and the reds this year. I was very fortunate a few years back to be able to buy 50 acres. I use about 3-4 of it to grow on. Hopefully I’ll be successful this year with my Amaranth, sorghum, corn and pumpkin again…

1 Like

Wind roaring here tonight, temps were mid 50s today, after rain this morning, ended about 3pm. Now it’s 38 and dropping, supposed to be near 20 tonight and not get out the 20s tomorrow. Calling for the teens Sunday and Monday nights, brr, but no snow.

Damn. It’s supposed to drop here too but not near that cold. My Ex is from Ashland. I almost moved up there with the current company I work with. I love Kentucky but that kind of cold just might kill me after 30 years in Florida! LOL… Be safe!

1 Like

Ashland is about an hour east of us, we go there quite a bit. Nice river town. Also has a Rural King, so all the more reason to go!

Well, I lived in north Texas for 30 years, and love that we get four true seasons here, but believe me, I do not like this part of the year. I spend most of my time here in the winter in long johns.

I was out for a stroll today while it was warmer, but doubt that’ll happen tomorrow. At least it’ll be back in the 50s next weekend. During these brief ‘warm’ spells, I’ve been out working on my trees, clearing fence lines and trying to redo a grape arbor my wife (tried to) build a couple years ago.

1 Like

That’s actually funny to hear. I planted a dozen muscadine vines last year and they are thriving on the ground. I have a bunch of 4x4’s and am going to trellis them soon. Good luck!

1 Like

Low of 27 so far…say didn’t you get a few flurries even, Subdood?

1 Like

We were in Key Largo in Jan of 2009…i saw frost and a lot of trees did not look happy the one morning. That was the day the temp didn’t get out of the 50Fs for most the day in Key West (high temp was 61F)… Very bad timing because as we left the temps were nearing 80F again…

There really hasn’t been any cold weather in S Florida in years…i’ve actually been on the lookout for a cold snap down there but i see nothing…lots of warmth…

Very true. Although I hate South Florida. It’s become a population issue for us in N Florida. To me, it’s to hot to much. I lived in Puerto Rico for 3 years and the temps. Were much more comfortable there then S Florida. They are bringing their NE influence and politics up here since they’ve overpopulated the south and most people here really don’t like it. I’m about as far North as you can get and not be Georgia. This is my retirement place and it will never be overpopulated. Not in my lifetime anyway. Tens of thousands of acres of timber land around me. :grin:

4 Likes

I still see a few Florida plates on the road up here this time of year…i need to honk and see if they are lost! Lots of snowbirds around here.

Winter sucks but it is doable. Heck the days are already getting longer…and i could never live in the tropics…my body hates high humidity. I would much prefer California but the population there is even crazier then S Florida…and unless you have Mark Zuckerberg money you are living in a cardboard box.

0F this morning… still haven’t had many subzero temps yet this year.

3 Likes

I use to dislike winter when I lived north of Madison, WI.

I really, really dislike winter now that I live in central/west central MN. I love it here from April through November(ish), but December through March really wears me out.

2 Likes

many people move up here to get away from the cities but most don’t come here in the winter. after they have gone though a few, many move more back south. just too severe for most people to take. theres just not much to do here in winter unless you like to ski, sled or icefish but that requires you to go out in the cold. many of my old schoolmates that stayed here, all snowbird to somewhere in the south or west in winter. i plan to do the same.

1 Like

Very true regarding Cali. Where I’am, it’s considered “affordable” (by California standards) at about $600/sq ft. or $900,000. for a 1500 sq ft. ranch style house.

Yeah, we got some flurries this morning, but it’s mostly sunny now. The wind’s blowing and 29, so it’s pretty raw out there now. Good day for some chili and watch some football. Calling for 17 tonight, yikes.

Locally we’ve had quite a few huge senior living facilites go up… I’ve thought who is staying here if they have a choice to go somewhere warmer…but i guess if you don’t need to go outside it isn’t all that bad. Luckily this year winter just started…but who knows how bad March?April will be… we haven’t really had a mild spring lately…this year will probably be a turd again.

1 Like

A neighbor just sold a ranch house probably that size (although we have basements here) for $161K… but it sold very quickly … they probably had mulitple offers because there just isn’t much in that price range.

Long range shows no cold air…looks mild for this time of year.

1 Like

Looking like a heatwave is in the works for areas to the north of me… a very mild pattern is about to take over. This winter might end up being a very mild one here. I’ve got about 7 inches on the picnic table so the snow is going nowhere…

2 Likes