How is your weather? (Part 1)

lol.

We had a one day reprieve. Single digit lows starting tomorrow here

2 Likes

yep. teens for highs starting midweek here. next couple days in the mid 30ā€™s i better get out and enjoy it!

We had a pleasant blast of cold last night dropping the temperature to about 50 degrees. Mid 80ā€™s expected later this week.

Mid 30Fsā€¦ more snow melting. We lost a lot os snowpack over the weekend. The east/west/south facing roof is snow free againā€¦ and the north is almost there.

Jan ended +6.6Fā€¦ and about a foot of snow.

Looking out I donā€™t see anything that hints at subzero Arctic tempsā€¦ actually might be hard to find any single digits at least in the next week.

Maybe March will get us. There was a winterā€¦around 1999/2000 ishā€¦that we didnā€™t drop below 0F until Marchā€¦it was an odd year. I remember taking the boat out in Feb and there was hardly any ice. That was the same year i think we hit 80F in March and i took the boat out that day and the water was so cold and the air so warm that the aluminum was sweating like madā€¦

2 Likes

Low 60s yesterday and today, but a bit cooler temps coming with heavy rain tonight and tomorrow. Was hoping we could a week of dry weather to dry the ground out a bit. But, dry winters donā€™t seem to happen here.

Yes, it was either 1999 or 2000 ā€“ Iā€™d have to do some research to figure out which, as I canā€™t remember. But, 13 was our low for the entire winter. And that set a record for my lifetime here in KY.
But, so far, we are at about 15 for a low this winter.

I am thinking weā€™ll get colder in the second half of February but time will tell. Will be the highest for a winter low in my part of KY if we donā€™t dip lower.

Groundhog saw his shadowā€¦if that counts. And honeybees are swarming a yard full of crocus todayā€¦mid 60ā€™s and cloudy.

Iā€™m getting the years screwed upā€¦2000 was the warm Marchā€¦ that was the boat year for meā€¦ starting March 5th that yearā€¦it was 4 days in a row of warmthā€¦unheard that early in the yearā€¦
70F
74F
82F
74F

It was 2002 that meteo winter (DJF) didnā€™t have a subzeroā€¦ March 3rd was -2F and 4th was -6Fā€¦
ā€¦ it did hit 0F in Febā€¦1F in Jan and 0F in late Decemberā€¦ so closeā€¦ It was 90F on April 15thā€¦ Jan that year had 5 days above 50Fā€¦ but Feb and March were 'eh ā€¦

Was almost 60F and sunny here yesterday, t-shirt weather. 9.5F outside right now with light snow. Thatā€™s almost a 50F drop.

1 Like

warmwxrules, I am glad you figured that out for where you are.

Still, here in KY it wasnā€™t 2002ā€¦because I was living in Cleveland County North Carolina 2002, 2003, and Charlotte 2004, 2005, 2006 in the winter monthsā€¦and my recollection on Kentuckyā€™s winter wouldnā€™t be as specific but I was living in Rockcastle County KY 1998-2001. It was during that span that we had our record warm winter here. (Oh, mid-Jan through April I was in Richmond KY in 2004ā€¦ and 2005 part in London KY and part in NCā€¦it was rather mild doing outdoor construction.)

May well have been different in Wisconsin or Michigan.

The late 90s were very mild winters up here. I met my wife in '97 (she was in high school and i was over at her house constantly) and can still remember that time period being very mildā€¦ i think the cold of the early mid 90s flipped to a much warmer stretchā€¦

ughā€¦iā€™m old.

Looks like the west coast trough and se ridge in the futureā€¦

2 Likes

it was like that here as well. i think it was the winter of 97ā€™-98ā€™ we barely got any snow. was 30f above average. your not the only one feeling old!

1 Like

Jan. 1998ā€¦oh, I remember that one alright. Forecast called for a ā€œlight dustingā€ by NWS and all 3 Lexington KY tv channels!

We got 14 inches, and I-75 was closed, and I had to get to a nearby town for removing snow from parking lotsā€¦snow removal contract.

Ainā€™t participated in ā€˜snow removalā€™ since. Hibernation is for me in such events!

2 Likes

Yeah those late 90s were nice and mild hereā€¦ I would pick my wife up and we would just go drive around almost every single night and i donā€™t remember any extreme coldā€¦although i do think 2000 was very cold winterā€¦ so it did bounce back. If you remember '97ā€¦the news was all El Ninoā€¦all the timeā€¦or so it seemedā€¦

Going back furtherā€¦i remember going out to California in summer '92ā€¦ we came back and i remember how cool it was (i think it was August '92)ā€¦ and years/decades later only came to figure out it was a '91 eruption of a Pinatubo volcano that probably caused that cooling. Something we really havenā€™t seen since (or so i think). Maybe Yellowstone will go and weā€™ll see some real cooling.

Chilly day but sunny againā€¦that is 4 days in a row os sunshineā€¦liking the return of that. Should be around 10F tonite. GFS still only hinting at one cold shot around mid monthā€¦but who knowsā€¦that might modifty.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Our first snow in several yrs. But the sun is poking thru and it will be gone in 24 hrs.

4 Likes

Nice! It adds moistureā€¦that canā€™t be bad?

I remember years agoā€¦i still have some screen grabsā€¦but snow made it all the way down to the gulf coastā€¦the beach had snow.i think it was near south padreā€¦

Dropped to 9F hereā€¦but up to 28F ā€¦sunshine again. Man these sunny days are so much nicer then the never ending cloudiness.

3rd week of Feb has a nice trough into the southwestā€¦while summer comes to the southeastā€¦quite a difference from west to eastā€¦

1 Like

Tornado warning in several nearby locations. Looks like we will be on watch all night.

I think that may be the same system moving our way. @dutch-s, I expect you guys will get hit with that early/late afternoon as it moves west to east across Floridaā€¦Itā€™s expected to come our way between 7PM and midnight, heavy rains and wind gusts up to 60mphā€¦havenā€™t had anything like this in a whileā€¦

that same system is supposed to drop up to 25in. of snow starting today into fri. night!

1 Like

Yep. Looks like it was pretty wicked west of us. I need the rain but hate the foul weather. Be safe.

1 Like