How is your weather? (Part 1)

Well. It had to happen. Our first >70 day happened yesterday. 73.2°. For those of you not up on California weather, it’s starting to look like the RRR (ridiculously resilient ridge) years are reappearing. It won’t be long until we’ll need to revive the “It’s raining in California” thread during the drought years.

Probably saving on those propane and electric bills, then.

Our niece and nephew live in our old house, which has one propane wall heater (30k btu). They just had about 150 gallons put in their empty tank. I’m not thinking it’ll be enough to last them the rest of the winter.

They also use electric infrared heaters, which can really use the juice. May be why their electric bills run about $100 more than us per month.

1 Like

up here propane and electricity are crazy expensive. reason why no one heats with them here. woods the cheapest . then fuel oil. some use pellet stoves to supplement but too many incidents of fires with them. we are looking into putting in a heat pump to hopefully offset some of our oil costs.

2 Likes

Zone 6b in Kentucky means the AVERAGE is 0 to -5 at the low for the winter.
Based upon the current winter, if we don’t drop below 15 in February or in March…then this year we are in 8a like north Florida!

Normal? No.

Especially when I recall cars driving on Lake Cumberland in 1977 and -20 for a high one day in 1985. Those weren’t normal either, and got us lowered into zone “5” for a spell by the Weather and Ag folks who decide those things.

2 Likes

You should try a heat pump. They work well even below zero with some of the higher end models. Even here i think one would work well because we don’t really get that many nights below 0F and lots of days in the 20Fs… I’ve even been tempted to put one of the heat pump hot water heaters in when my powervent nat gas dies… in summer it would about run for free considering its just going to cool the basement…something i do with the aC anyways.

i have nat gas…and it is really cheap to run so i haven’t really thought about anything else. The furnace is a high efficiency model…except it isn’t a variable speed like the newer ones…which would be nice …mine is either on or off…no in between.

Another sunny day here…isn’t tonite some super moon?

Anyone noticing the longer days… i did for the first time yesterday… it creeps up on you slowly…

3 Likes

theres a $1500 rebate going on right now so we may take advantage. wish we had nat. gas here. nearest pipeline is in NY i think.

1 Like

that moon is wicked bright. use to love riding sled on a full moon night like this. everything is crystal clear.

I THOUGHT that looked like an outhouse!

3 Likes

Yep, but it hasn’t been used in about 20 years, according to my wife, this is her family farm.

They didn’t get city water out here until 2003, so everybody had wells.

There were/are two wells here, one was dug out by hand about 80 years ago and lined with stone. The other was drilled 35 years ago, it has a 6in steel casing.

The water table is very close to the surface, they never went bone dry, and it was very good tasting, according to her.

Regarding outhouses, I wanted to build a nice new one to put out by the barn, because it’s a long way back to house. But, alas, that has yet to happen, like a lot of things I’ve planned.

2 Likes

Our bluetick coonhound Beau who is skiddish from his past life got lost tonight at my daughters. His first trip there. Too many people, too much excitement. Fortunately, it was bright enough to search for him by the moonlight. FINALLY found him about half a mile away. Silly goose!

He’s there in my profile pic in front, looking curiously dalmation-ish in color while sweet Katie our choc lab looks on. Me, I’m the old gray goose who aint what she used to be :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks mighty chilly!!!

1 Like

my son had 2 beagles. they would sometimes be gone in the woods as long as a week running rabbits behind the house. once they cut a track they were gone! could yell all you want they just kept going. you can’t be more that 29 -30? :wink:

Our local utility offers almost zero in rebates. I know i’ve read threads where people about get these high efficiency water heaters/etc for nothing after rebates…but i suppose that money comes from somewhere.

Wow is it snowing here. Probably some of the heaviest snow this season. They upped the totals .8-11 inches locally.t.hat would be the biggest storm this year. I-90 …i-94 .would be fun about now…

GFS has -20F Friday morning… cold air moves in and out quick… i guess clouds/wind will make or break that.

2 Likes

94 is about 30 minutes south of me and that section would be just fine today :grinning: Not a flake in the air.

I see New Ulm, MN got about 9"

Yeah the Madison to Eau Claire would be a parking lot. Already a semi off the road near me.

Should let up some here in the next half hour…waiting to snowblow.

1 Like

We have a high end Lennox heat pump (large unit on pad) and have forced hot air…we only use electricity w/ propane back-up. The unit has been extremely efficient & reliable. Our recent utility bill for January was $189.

1 Like

Some chilly air this week, but it’s short lived

A high of 79, today. Low to mid 80’s for the remainder of the week.

1 Like

Ouch that -4 day makes me shiver!

1 Like

-4 days make the sunny days in the upper 20s feel really nice :wink:

1 Like