How is your weather? (Part 1)

-3F out there this morning… 8 inches of fresh snow and clear skies… There was also some frozen fog in areas…for some reason. It wasn’t that bad out there because there isn’t any wind. The sun should help things moderate some this afternoon.

Models did really well with the snow amts with this storm…

Temps are all over the place this week.

1 Like

Ugh, more rain, started about midnight and has been coming down off and on since then. More coming through now, with no let up until tomorrow morning. The snow just about finished melting so this will make it just a quagmire. At least it’s 48 now, so no more frozen stuff.

Those rebates are put in as a requirement from state regulatory commissions, which get a say in how rates are set as a check on utilities being effective monopolies. It’s more common in high-regulation states and less in low-reg states. I think WI used to have a more robust program, but the Walker administration did away with a lot of it. My brother lives in Middleton, and when he looked in to it, the program sets the maximum income eligibility so low that most people who can actually afford a property don’t qualify.

Just one day of cold, then back to same-old

That would make sense. Very much a monopoly… i guess a person could say screw it and throw about 5kW of solar on the roof…which is tough in this climate when it can be cloudy for a week straight. I have no idea how or if grid buyback is even a thing here. Maybe you can’t even hook up to the utility (and sell solar back). Although there is a house i drive by daily that has got to have several kW of solar on the roof…not sure how they do it.

Today would be a great day for solar…fresh snow and sunshine and cold temps.

1 Like

many of the bigger farms here have gone solar. if i had more land id consider that with the heat pump. the income eligibility here in Maine is pretty low. a lot of people have the pumps here and for good reason.

1 Like

I must have missed the January thaw in Sheboygan, WI.

5 Likes

My brother in law is from Sheboygan… I think the whole family worked at Kohler at one time.

Cloudy and 26F but feels so much colder then yesterday when the sun was out.

Still should see coldest temp of the year Friday morning. GFS spits out -20F …i think we make a run for it…clear skies/calm winds and a fresh’ish snowpack…crazy thing is by Sat we should be in the 30Fs so a nice 50F+ turn around.

…WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
10 AM CST THURSDAY…

• WHAT…Dangerously cold wind chills expected. Wind chills as
    low as 35 below zero.

• WHERE…Stearns and Todd Counties.

• WHEN…From midnight tonight to 10 AM CST Thursday.

• IMPACTS…The dangerously cold wind chills could cause
    frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 10 minutes

1 Like

Looks like we rise into the mid 30Fs… drop to near -20F…and then rise back into the mid 30Fs…all by Sat or Sun…

big cool of coming after today but still above average for the date.

Big cool down just now got here! Sleet is pounding off the deck slider and the wind is out of the NW about 25mph! Think I’ll stay in tonight.

1 Like

Now they’re calling for windchills of -42 or lower. Schools already closed for tomorrow

2 Likes

-21 with a -38 windchill at 6:45 a.m.

2 Likes

-6 F here in Omaha a few hours ago. Hopefully this is it for the year.

1 Like

Not quite 2° when sun came up. Windchill -13°. Brrrrr… That’s cold for Kansas!!!

2 Likes

Balmy NE Florida…

2 Likes

We went from 32F at 6pm last night to our current -3F… Should be coldest day of the year…and night.

Right back above freezing though this weekend…so its a quick blast.

Canadian blowtorch the last week of Feb… should keep our temps in check to finish off the month.
And looking at the planet…i don’t think i’ve ever seen so much record? heat in the N hemisphere at one time… crazy… All of Europe/Russia/China/Japan bakes (at least compared to norms)…

supposed to hit -30f with the windchill tom.

2 Likes

Oooooohhh… sorry about your weather! :confounded:
I grew up in northwestern MN, a little north of your latitude. I don’t often miss the long cold winters!

1 Like