How is your weather? (Part 1)

That all heads this way later next week… going to be a wet one i think.

1 Like

Here after only 2.79" of rain (during our rainy season) it’s very welcomed.

yep. they were buried. they normally don’t get as big a snowfall as this so probably caught them off guard.

It’s about 45 and we have getting some kind of ice type precipitation, I think it’s called grapple. Now it seems like it’s turned into a cold steady, rain. We got over an inch of rain Thu, and this looks like this will set in for a few hours. And the ground was just starting to firm up a bit, too. Guess I’ll be helping doing house chores today.

Flurries here, not sticking.

Crocus and anemones in bloom

The other risk factors in cold areas are insufficient food stores (which can be mitigated to some degree by feeding thru the winter), and quick drops in temps which can catch the bees off guard and they may not have time to reform a cluster to stay warm or have to reform it away from their food stores.

One can get some idea what happened when you open the hive. Is there stored honey and pollen? Are a lot of bees dead head first in a cell (a sign of starving). Things like this can give the beekeeper an idea of what went on.

1 Like

Yeah i don’t know…i’m surprised they can raise bees in that climate. I don’t think they starved but maybe temps played a roll along with all that snow. Probably need some sort of protection in the winter.

It was snowing in Tokyo, Japan today…nothing sticking… pretty rare for there this time of year.

Down to 20F this morning… Rain looks to move in mid week thru the end of the week… temps look March like… nothing hot…no 2012 heatwave… but not really seeing any snow or real cold…although next weekend will probably see some teens maybe overnight.

1 Like

Looks pretty wintry around here

1 Like

Quite a contrast

1 Like

A little dusting of snow yesterday, drizzling today with a high hopefully mid-40s.

1 Like

Send that north.

Crap day…stuck in the low 40Fs with thick low clouds. Sun should be back tomorrow.

1 Like

Rain rain rain rain rain… Had some rain yesterday but today its a washout…temps should drop too… sun back for the weekend.

Looking ahead…late March to early April…the cold stays in the Pacific Northwest/Canada/Alaska…a good place for it :slight_smile:

Heatwave across the south/Florida bakes… Northeast stays mild… Not too bad.

2 Likes

Got a nice spring blizzard going here. So far about 1’ of snow on the ground and it is supposed to keep coming for another 12 hours or so.

Glad I haven’t put the shovels away yet…

Warmer here today but pretty breezy, Friday/Saturday are highs of 30ish with lows in the teens, looks like after this Sunday, spring will be a permanent fixture of 45+ everyday with nights between 20-30.

Luckily with this cold weekend and no consistent temps to date nothing is even bud swelling here. Dodged a bullet…

3 Likes

Nights in the 60’s…at least this night. Blooms and leaves coming like mushrooms and dandelions! Overnight.

2 Likes

10 degrees when I got up a bit ago

No more frost/freeze warnings. :grinning: Weather has been updated. Temps from 60s to mid 70s but very windy.

2 Likes

Yesterday’s high reached 72! Not that you could really tell, winds blew all day outa the south, about 25 mph. Winds switched and blew outa the north 22+, low was 27 overnight. Still blowing. High today of 37, winds dying down to the teens by late afternoon. Apricot buds are showing pink and peaches are swollen bud stage. Still have close to 4 more weeks to go until we are past our usual last freeze…

Rare is there not a April frost or freeze here in KY. But, I used to plant things like lettuce and tomatoes in late March some years. Have given up on that…too much trouble to cover and uncover.

Compared to Kansas, we have it better here I presume. But, we’ll be fortunate if things don’t get a hit by cold weather in April. And if that happens…since things are so far along…it will be bad. Still…if it only gets into upper 20’s in April…some trees will have a crop.

I saw Sunshine Blue blueberries blooming Wednesday here. Ayers pear blooming yesterday.
And my Redfield apple is going to bloom for the first time (about time…that M111 root was in no hurry)….showing a little pink in the blossoms.

1 Like