How is your weather? (Part 1)

It can be frustrating watching the weather. Tonight’s low is supposed to be 22.
Hope you guys stay in the upper 20s or higher! Partial crops are better than nothing! Last year the apricots cropped a total of ONE fruit. Just one. But, it was better than zero! With apricots, I don’t expect much (but I always hope).

2 Likes

Well, we got 26-28" of fairly heavy snow out of this storm. It’s still foggy and cold, with another smaller round of snow coming in later today and again tomorrow. Ahh, springtime in the Rockies.

3 Likes

Cloudy today, after more rain this morning, it got to 70. Grass is really greening up, even seeing some leaves coming in on some of the non fruit trees.

Ground is so sopping wet, like walking on a sponge.

1 Like

Lettuce is pretty hardy, it can take it.

1 Like

omg… so what does that make for the year so far? When that stuff goes it will go quick.

Hoovie’s Garage (Youtube) is in Witchita, KS and i noticed the grass was all green in his video he had out today.

Cold here… feels like winter today. Snow all melted already…that was quick.

Don’t know the year/season total, just I didn’t track it. It was fairly cold, cloudy and snowy early (like Nov-Dec) then fairly warm but still cloudier than usual, and recently we had been getting a bunch of little storms, like 4" or so of snow, twice a week. Then this one. Overall the mountains are above average for snowfall like around 110% or so state wide last I heard. But totals can vary quite a bit from spot to spot. If the ski resorts weren’t all closed for the virus, this would be some great skiing.

I am just grateful that this storm happened before the fruit trees leafed out. If it had been otherwise, would have been a lot of broken branches.

2 Likes

There’s one tree in Manhattan that bore a crop every year I was aware of it. Dropped apricots all over the sidewalk. The few I managed to taste were pretty good. I was always out of town when the ripening peaked. SE corner of 10th and Pierre. Someone should get some sticks off of it this winter (hint, hint).

3 Likes

Great tip @jcguarneri ! You even recalled the address… that’s a good memory! I will definitely try to cut some scion.
I might actually know that place… I will have to check a city map.

1 Like

OK, I do know that house! They have a ton of different fruits growing all over, pretty wild looking. There is a pear tree just east of that house that drops bushels of pears all over the street and sidewalk every year. I have actually stopped at the house with the intention of introducing myself and asking them about their figs. They have figs that come back every year and have been loaded with fruit when I have seen them, so I am very curious to know which cultivar it is. No one was home, so I never got to ask. I am usually only up there in the late summer/early fall, and so have never noticed the apricot tree (too focused on the figs I guess :yum:)!

1 Like

Yeah, the houses on both sides of 10th have some interesting stuff going on! There are actually at least two apricot trees. The great big one on the East side is the one I already described. There’s a smaller one on the West side that I never saw fruit on, but it’s there in the latest Google Street View. Looks like bigger fruit, but the reliability of the other tree is a big plus. I would probably try to ask the homeowner’s permission to be polite, but since the tree is between the sidewalk and the street, it’s in the right-of-way and therefore on public property…

2 Likes

8 degrees. That’s enough of that

3 Likes

Yeah…temp really dropped…20F here with no snow cover… Should slowly warm now into the 50Fs but early next week…lots of sun. 60Fs probably by the end of the month around here…

1 Like

10 day forecast shows a couple days right around 50. That will sure feel nice. It will be great to get rid of the snow and let my driveway dry out a bit. A muddy mess every afternoon. No way to get up the hill without 4wd

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it didn’t even get down to the forecasted 34 here. (Revised up from 31 2 days ago, and from 28 5 days ago…you know how forecasts go.)

20 degrees here last night. Will be curious to see if those apricots produce fruit again this year.
I do want to meet the residents that live in both of those places. They don’t appear to use a lot of the fruits, based on the numbers that are all over the sidewalk and spill out into the street. Perhaps they are not the original owners that planted all of that stuff… or maybe they just get overwhelmed with it all and can’t keep up.
The figs hang over onto the sidewalk, but are planted on the homeowner’s side of the sidewalk… but still, I have THOUGHT about snipping a few sticks. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember watching those figs one year, and I never saw them ripen. I’m guessing the owners or the squirrels were getting them as they ripened. Or maybe I stopped looking too early!

They definitely don’t use much of those fruits, if any. I’d love to hear the story. The apricots were usually ripe the first or second week of July.

1 Like

Noted!

1 Like

that supposed to hit us by the middle of next week. yay!

1 Like

Some evenings in the 30s last week, but now moving up. We seem to be entering the endless rain of spring. Tough to try and find any dry weather to do outside chores. We are looking close to needing our first grass mowing. Wow, I thought I was fairly prepared, but early spring has really be sneaking up on me.

2 Likes

I’ll take it. Still no window for dormant oil spraying, but in another couple weeks there should be.