How is your weather? (Part 1)

Eastern New England has been horrible these past few days…a system just keeps spinning offshore and bringing in the dreaded Easterly winds and damp dank cold and precipitation. Yuck!

2 Likes

we got about 1/4in. of rain but the clouds are clearing and it supposed to be partly cloudy and windy in the mid 40’s . snows really taking a hit but possibly a big snow mid week next week. the fat lady still hasn’t sung yet!

2 Likes

Freezing rain overnight in my part of Kansas. Low was 26. Still hovering at 26/27. Ice pellets are coming down now, and bouncing off the porch and vehicles. Lovely. We just had 3 days of upper 70s for the highs, M-W. Of course peaches are blooming and apricots are in the shuck.

This current temperature map of the U.S. is just evil!

5 Likes

Moderate freezing rain in Des Moines. Yuck!

2 Likes

That’s very cool.

2 Likes

Upper 60Fs yesterday felt like heaven…super nice day. All the trees are pushing green… 39F and rain now…should switch over to snow… hope my gardenia will be ok in their low tunnel overnight. Temps should rebound quickly.

Got to expect stuff like this in April…been too lucky.

20 degrees with a single digit windchill. Rather brisk out there today

1 Like

Up into the 70s today, dried out the garden enough that I could till and put the peas in the ground. Cold front right on the Mississippi now and heading our way with back-to-normal.

1 Like

We have three seasons in Thailand,hot, hotter and darn hot.

April is the hottest. Each season lasts about 4 months:
roughly speaking:

• Summer March - June
  • rainy season July-Oct
  • cool season Nov - Feb
3 Likes

This guy i watch is near Chiang Mai …bananas everywhere, rice paddies, pineapples, etc… it was just over 100F on his latest video…air is really nasty though… I’m sure the rain helps green it up because it looks a little brown this time of year.

1 Like

ZGuess what? Chiangmai is in the north, an area where is, on average, cooler than central Thailand where Bangkok, the capital, is located.

Chiangmai can actually be cool or even cold in Dec/Jan (at least, for a few days). You can grow bananas anywhere. But fruit that need some cool climate like longans, lychees or even strawberries can be grown in the northern region.

1 Like

There was a video a few weeks back where he drove to the top of the highest point in Thailand…I think the temp was mid 20s celcius… very nice…lots of flowers blooming up there. You could really see the air pollution in the lower elevation areas. Check him out on Youtube…he’s an EV guy from Norway who’s currently somewhat stuck in Thailand (wife is from there/family lives there) due to covid … Bjorn Nyland…speaks Thai, English and Norwegian. It is interesting seeing all the people with facemasks on and its 100F or more…that has got to get hot.

…around here it is snowing…the grass is covered. I hope my lettuce and broccoli and onions are fine under it for now…because the temps are suppose to fall into mid 20s F … lol… 50F and sun tomorrow…

3 Likes

I’ve got 4 inches of new shoot growth on some containerized apple trees…and it’s supposed to drop below freezing in about 10 days.

Appears no fruit set on first apple that bloomed (probably no pollination).
Redfield is in bloom…maybe 250 lovely red/pink blooms…so pretty. First year it’s bloomed. Granny Smith and Anoka are available for pollination…so we’ll see.

8 degrees around 6 a.m. On our way to the low 40s today though, so hopefully the single digit stuff is done until next fall.

2 Likes

Looks like heat with a bit of cool and some rain next week… Actually looks like good growing weather…

3 Likes

Ugh. So the wait begins. Things haven’t been too bad for weather this spring here, but there is always the potential for it to turn worse. We had a mild winter and will have peaches if the weather holds in spring.

2 Likes

I got my ice storm two days ago plus the temp dropped from 70s to 24 degrees and all the apricots blooms are gone. I hoped you don’t have the ice and low temp that passed it through here. Good luck.

That’s awful, Have you survey the extent of damage fruit-wise?

Ugh. Sorry Tony.

We are OK so far. My Toka plum is farthest along at about the bud burst stage. Apples are just showing silver/green tip.

We had a low of 27 last night, but nothing that anything couldn’t take. But we have a 72F degree day in the forecast this week, and that will move things along quickly.