How is your weather? (Part 1)

Friday overnight will be the killer

Both Friday and Saturday forecasts proved to be lies.

Cannot depend on any of them.

Theyā€™re saying 32 now

1 Like

74F right now but the hurricane winds arenā€™t so fun. This should be it for the warmth for awhile. Probably mid month before the 70Fs/80Fs are backā€¦that is when iā€™ll plant the tropical stuff/warm weather stuff.

Lots of curculios here. I have breeding program that is strong :slight_smile:

I worry about next Sunday/Monday morningā€¦ The 850 temps for Friday look way too warm for any frost/freeze. Maybe in Sparta or some cold drainage spot. Keep an eye on late weekendā€¦that is when the colder air slips thruā€¦ May 11th thoughā€¦that is pretty late even for here for a frost.

Apples are in full bloom as are the sweet cherries. Have seen a ton of bumble bees this year. I had a group of them working the plums/pluotsā€¦

Some pluot bloomsā€¦with some peaches/etc in the back. May have plenty of peaches to feed the squirrels this summer :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Only plums and honeyberries blooming so far, but Iā€™m also seeing more bumblebeeā€™s than usual for this time of the year. . . nice to see.

@warmwxrules,
Mother Nature is something. You are two zones colder than me, your apples are already in full bloom. Mine just started and wonā€™t go full bloom until, maybe, 5-7 days from now.

It says it could go as low as 34F by Fri. Wonā€™t harm fruit but could not get nice stretch of good weather to graft peaches.

Wow. Wild plums here are just starting to think about blooming. Apples are likely at least 2 weeks away from full bloom, and from the looks of the forecast it may be more like 3.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised - my apples are just getting to pink, and Iā€™m a zone warmer than you. Everything else is in full bloom, but the apples are slower than ever.

You are rightā€¦i have no idea what I was thinking. My pears are just getting ready to bloom and my I think itā€™s a sweet 16 or mac has opened a few flowers and a graft on my other tree which I believe is HC but not sure (I have a labeling problem) is blooming.

Is HC an early bloomer?

There are a lot of apple flowers this year on all trees. Could be a huge apple crop in Wi if this is any indication.

Mid 60Fs todayā€¦ Cooler week. NAEFS still wants to keep ridge in west and trough in east thru mid monthā€¦no heatwave any time soon east of the Dakotasā€¦

2 Likes

One thing I noticed and maybe you see that up thereā€¦is everything here seems to overlap in blooms. Plums, pluots, sweet cherries, nectarines, apricots and peaches all are blooming at the same time or within a few days.

It always bothers me when the cots are getting to shuck split while the cherry next to them is still in full bloom. I donā€™t want to spray then. Wish Iā€™d planned better for such things.

Calling for 33 Friday and Sat night here, I sure hope theyā€™ll be accurate this time. A couple times last month they called for 33 and it was in the high 20s.

Iā€™ve got a strawberry patch full of blooms, even a few small berries, and my Prelude raspberry is about to bloom, so I canā€™t afford another freakinā€™ freeze.

I canā€™t stand this schizo weather. It was 80 yesterday and sunny, then it came a downpour for about an hour and probably dumped another inch of rain we didnā€™t need. A couple of my newly planted strawbs were in some puddles, but are okay now.

1 Like

Nobody that I know within 3 hours grows anything but apples and pears. Wild American plums abound in the area. Peaches, sweet cherries, nectarines, and apricots wouldnā€™t stand a chance here, unless grown in pots. Nobody out in the country grows trees in pots :grinning:

The majority are in the ground now. I have very few potted fruit trees (less then 5)ā€¦last spring killed off about 75% of what i had and iā€™m not replacing. Iā€™m pretty much done with that. I do grow tropicals in pots but that stuff all comes inside. Container trees work but the amount of effort is not worth it at this point.

These are in ground treesā€¦ the background blooms are wild plums (on same tree).

3 Likes

In my garden apples bloom in this order

1. Zestar
    2.Harralson

3 Golden Delicious and Honeycrisp

Bob, if itā€™s going to be borderline try running a sprinkler over as much as possible, might make all the difference!

2 Likes

Well GFS is colder now for Sat morning and warmer for Monday morningā€¦both offer chances of frost/freeze. Yuck. Probably cover what i can and the fruit trees can deal with it. Hopefully it sticks between 28-32Fā€¦ Hope for wind and clouds.

Of course after mid month itā€™ll probably jump into the 80Fs or 90Fsā€¦

Thanks, but I donā€™t have a sprinkler big enough to cover the whole patch. I have covered them with tarps for previous freezes, and it did okay, but I donā€™t have enough to cover them all. Guess Iā€™ll lose some more. Theyā€™ve revised the forecast at 32/34 Fri/Sat nights.

This is way too late in the spring to be dealing with this. Strawberries are touchy tooā€¦i know iā€™ve had them get hit in previous years. I have some that are open already so iā€™ll have to blanket them.

1 Like

We need a weather pattern change!