How is your weather? (Part 1)

This covers the 11th-18th… the dark blues hint strongly at record cold.

Probably have their thongs on in Alaska.

2 Likes

sucks for us but we are used to this kind if cold in may. seen accumulating snow quite a few times this time of year in my life.

1 Like

Well, we’ve had freezes here in May twice, in 2016 and 17. That’s why we do most of our garden planting and plant outs around Memorial Day.

I have two big plastic tarps, one medium sized one and a table cloth that I drape over them. I have three runs of strawbs, so I can’t cover them all. It covers about 60-70% of my Earliglow and Jewel, but not the newer Flavorfest.

It seemed to work fairly well when it got down to 27 in the patch, but not when it dropped to 24. I’m not feeling good about this weekend, it’s supposed to rain Friday, then freeze that night. This is crazy.

I’m kind of excited because a couple of my Reliance peach trees had late blooms that survived. We also had a lot of blooms on our apple trees this year That’s the good news. The bad news is that they are predicting a 30 degree night this week. I am going to try to cover/water everything that I can, which I should have done weeks ago when we lost almost all of our peaches, nectarines, and early strawberry blooms.

1 Like

Now the forecast in Central KY has been lowered to 29 F for Friday night!
I mentioned snow in 1991 at Kentucky Derby…this will be a week later…although I don’t know about snow, the frost may look like snow that night.

(Or, they may revise the forecast before the weekend! Happens about ever day anyhow.)

1 Like

27F here last night.

2 Likes

I’ve got a heap of ancient quilts and blanket and sheets that a sensible person would have thrown away. Quilts are heavy enough they shouldn’t blow away in a reasonable breeze.

3 Likes

Same here. My mother in law gave me a bunch of old blankets years ago and i just leave them in boxes in the garage for this stuff. It does look like multiple nights will have to be watched. I’m covering Fri/Sat mornings…and again Mon/Tues mornings… wind might be a big issue…but i think i can at least keep some stuff protected. Also going to spray all the blooming trees with liquid kelp a few times this week.

44F and east wind…

1 Like

Revised the Fri night low to 31, hope it keeps moving up. But, I’m prepared to cover them, I have way too many blooms and actually some small berries to protect.

BTW, we had very heavy rains this morning. Worried about my new strawbs getting drowned if this keeps up. Plus, with below normal temps and clouds, the soil will take a long time to dry out.

1 Like

Farming should be more fun and less worrying…….so cheer up and enjoy the rain, it could be snow!

2 Likes

luckily here everything is still dormant because of the cool wet weather thats moved in the last 4 days. while the rain is needed i wish the snow squalls blowing though would stop. rhubarb is up a couple of inches but even 20f won’t phase it. currants buds are showing a little green but they are just as tough as the rhubarb.

1 Like

I took a look at them today, and although they’re a bit muddy, I guess they’re okay. I’m making sure the roots don’t get exposed. Looks like they might be trying to start some kind of leaf growth.

Hope I didn’t get them in the ground too late. They had been in the frig for a month before I planted them. I was out there Sunday in shorts and a t-shirt planting them, and today I was in sweatpants, sweatshirt and Carhart hat.

Went out to the backyard patch and did some more weeding in the mist and cold, after feeding the cats.

I once got in 1,000 strawberry plants, and put them all in the ground by hand 50 to 100 per day after working a full shift at the factory, which I was doing at that point in life…so it took me most of the month of May to plant them. And I ‘stored’ them in a plastic bag in the shade of trees, and soaked them a few minutes before planting them.

I don’t know how many plants I lost out of 1,000…not more than 25 probably.

Even snipping half the roots off won’t hurt them. Short term flooding, or short term drought they tolerate too.

Planting them too high…good you are keeping an eye to exposed roots…they don’t like that.

1 Like

Flooding can wash the dirt off the crowns and expose the roots - that they don’t like

3 Likes

As of right now we have lows of 32-34-34-32 for 4 consecutive nights starting Sat. night. No buds open yet so we’ll see. Got down to a surprise 32 last night as well…light frost in shaded areas. Average temps for this date are 60/43.

2 Likes

I measured 26.1 and 25.7 on 2 of my sensors. Forecast was for 30, but we usually are 3-4 degrees below the forecast. Saturday the forecast is for 36 as a high for the day, and 26 as the low.

2 Likes

The weather channel is calling for 27 now for Friday night for Somerset, KY. weather Underground is calling for 28 for Berea KY for Friday night.

Some local flooding yesterday, and still a misting drizzle. The Appalachians will get SNOw
early Saturday morning!!!

1 Like

I’m hoping we escape this one …NWS has 31F for the low which will occur Sat morning. The core of the coldest air appears to move thru Friday afternoon and then quickly exits… A slight warm up for the Sat/Sun…should hopefully rebound close to 60F …rain moves in for Sunday afternoon/night… GFS shows over a half inch… Second chunk of cold air moves in Monday afternoon… Tues morning temps will be near freezing again.

2 Likes

Odd if it turns out to be colder in KY than up here in N IL or WI

1 Like

We’ve had less than an inch of rain in the last 3 weeks or so, and there’s none in the 10 day forecast. Hope this isn’t the beginning of a drought.

2 Likes