How is your weather? (Part 1)

Odd, but not unheard of. 27 Somerset, 28 Berea is the latest for here………
at one point in 1985 I think it was, Cincinnati OH was the coldest spot in the 50 states…at 35 below zero.

If it would stay cloudy all night Friday, then it wouldn’t get that cold, but if the rain (possible snow) clears out before temps drop to freezing, then it will get COLD.

I’d bet on snow for Gatlinburg, TN at the top of the mountain on Saturday morning…even if not in KY. And certainly Mt. Mitchell in NC!

2 Likes

got 6’’ of snow coming sun! not unheard of but pretty late even for us. glad nothing is leafed out as yet. just got done fertilizing everything.

2 Likes

Yeah, if it can stay cloudy before daybreak we might have a chance, but with it raining into the night, it’ll be tough to get the tarps down. Still calling for 28 here; 27 on Portsmouth, OH across the river; 26 in Paris, KY. There’s even a frost watch for us tonight, with 36 forecast.

It might be a good thing with rain falling first on things, then it freezing on the fruit might give it a bit of insulation?

2 Likes

Wow…have you had snow in June>? I once got caught in a late June snowstorm in Wyoming but that was in the big horn mountains.

18z gfs looks colder but the cold air is in and out so fast…the coldest air aloft is in place around noon Friday and already moving out late Fri/Sat… that should keep temps around freezing … Rain amts look far less on Sun and the second cold shot doesn’t look too bad…

Touched 69F this afternoon…lots of clouds mid day but has cleared out this evening.

I’ve got a few apples, but most as big as small blueberries turned mushy, and fell off.
Maybe 2 dozen betwween 8 trees. And…Friday night might get them too.

Only the BlueBerries are loaded…best crop ever. So far as I can tell all varieties tolerated temps in 20’s without any loss of blossoms, even ones in full bloom.

Repeat…pawpaw, mulberry, jujube blackened, apples already set froze and fell, honeyberries and blueberries unscathed.

(Oh, and serviceberries made it…yum if can beat the birds to them)

1 Like

I just came here to complain about the predicted freeze Friday night. I’ve planted 18 tomatoes, 18 peppers, 40 watermelons (all plants) and my 18 hills of squash have already come uip. That is too say nothing about all my fruit. This is INSANE!!! I can’t remember when we’ve had a frost this late. They are only predicting 31 for me and as you say, with clouds and a little luck I’ll make it…but I’m never lucky when it comes to weather. My garden is spaced out way too much to try to cover things, so all I can do is cross my fingers. Hope you make it over in your area!

btw…even if I survive the frost I think this cold snap has already hurt my garden. I had planted several seeds about 1.5 week ago, with all this cold weather (and in turn cold dirt) most of my seeds haven’t come up. Add to that all the rain we’ve had and I bet my seeds have rotted. Oh well, if this were easy everyone would do it!

6 Likes

Yes, my neighbor has a TRUCKLOAD of gravels at the bottom of his driveway…from yesterday morning cloudburst…so that too. At least I don’t have tomatoes out yet. Been too busy.

Hope yours make it…somebody’s are going to get froze, just depends on exactly when the cloudcover departs following rain Friday and into the evening.

Planting tomatoes or peppers here before Memorial Day weekend is just asking for heartbreak. This area has frosts in June, but they aren’t common.

1 Like

I have once or twice over the years gotten tomatoes through planted prior to April 1st. Generally April 15 here. But, in no way has this past winter been “usual”.
Started with snow for Halloween…and now possible snow second weekend in May!

In Vancouver, WA we had unusual March and April, not much rain. We usually have hard rain for days and weeks.

Now in early May we have had a few days of rain, off and on.

Due to unusual weather, my multigrafted plums all bloomed too early and no bees pollinated them. So just leaves this year. Cherries are doing much better, they bloomed weeks later and have many fruits growing already.

Although HUD had sent a letter to us to remove all gardens and that they had a plan to create for us a garden area, Covid put them on hold. My state representative I contacted told me let her know if they say anything more. But for now, a short time anyways, I keep my garden. So with the 70-80s highs and 50s lows I planted tomatoes, lots of them. I don’t want to invest in more topsoil/compost or organic slow release fertilizers right now for that reason.

4 Likes

We’ve got picture perfect weather…low humidity and mild temps couldn’t ask for anything more…

2 Likes

I had planned to put in my first row of beans for the year, but now I’m waiting til the soil warms up again

2 Likes

I have one planted in the ground…rest are still in pots.

Looking at the models. Not really thinking a hard freeze around here… maybe some frost. Probably just cover the strawberries.

mid/upper 60Fs just north of Anchorage the next week… I’m starting to think gardening up there might be better then here…

2 Likes

Next winter we’ll get some real cold down their to thin out some more of those iguanas.

Really hasn’t been bad here…should see mid 60Fs today again… nice weather. Not quite thong temps.

temps

Freeze warnings out for most the state…

1 Like

Just got all my beans sprouting, half of my tomatoes planted, and the hot peppers in small pots in time for this crazy freeze.

1 Like

2 Likes

The difference is we get 27 or 28 on Friday night…you get it for most of a week. :confused:

1 Like

Bad news for sure.

2 Likes

That type of weather isn’t that unusual for this area. I have a couple pears and maybe two apples that are showing a bit of bud color. The rest are at silver tip - 1/2" green.

2 Likes

Forecast has been revised up to 30 from 28. If the clouds and winds can stick around a bit longer we might have a chance.

3 Likes