How is your weather? (Part 1)

Should be well into the 70Fs by Thurs…thru that next week…looks nice and mild/warm… i’m going to plant my ginger in the ground finally.

This is a seedling apple with some other things grafted to it (summer apples/hc/etc)… Full of blossoms this year.

2 Likes

Garsh! Nothing doing that far along along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Most advanced is tight cluster. Wolf River hasn’t budded out, yet. I hope it’s OK. I’m going to cut down Golden Russet on B9, which died suddenly last summer. I don’t see any rootstock suckers.

Temp got down to a low of 31.1°F last night.

Thanks @Chikn, it made me smile! And especially, yes, my dogs think I’m a better woman than I ever could be :dog2:

Thanks @moose71, I do have blackberries, a few raspberries, and blueberries, also one gooseberry bush. I tried to steer from a monoculture orchard, but at the same time, I’ve left fruit as the only option in my head, when there is so much more to be thankful for.

Thank all of you for reminding me how we are blessed in so many ways, esp now.

1 Like

I was optimistic but we’ve been issued a freeze warning. While I was covering my strawberries and potatoes we got a snow squall. It’s sticking for a bit and slowly melting. I have to let the blueberries fend for themselves. This is unbelievable.

2 Likes

Best of luck @Joe. I think I got numb to covering and uncovering so many times. I had blooms in February, so yes it has been a long time since this roller-coaster ride started

3 Likes

another 3in. of snow coming tom. night. don’t think i remember ever having this much snow in mid may. or remember my early plants leafing out so late.

3 Likes

Did you say snow???

yep. and only my currants are budding out. even honey berries are still dormant though the buds are swelling and greening.

I harvested some green onions and my Turnips yesterday…LOL And on my second planting of radishes

1 Like

It may sound crazy, but I’m happier with temps below freezing than I would be with temps in the 90s right now.

4 Likes

All i need is 5 to 10 acres around Homestead…

35F this morning here…no frost. Clouds stuck around late and then we had wind all night…tonite will be the final challenge…but my thinking is we stay above freezing all night…or a tad above.

After today get those thongs out because Florida heat is coming north. Next week should easily jump into the mid 80Fs…might be talking about AC.

Record heat into areas that just saw record cold?

1 Like

talk about screwing up growth cycles!

i agree! at 75f and up I’m under the A/C!

1 Like

Well we shouldn’t be worrying about cold anymore until next fall …or so i hope. I haven’t had the furnace on in weeks (it did dip down to 68F in here overnight) but as long as the sun shines it warms up quickly in the day.

The Reliance grape is waking up. I haven’t had fruit off my grape in years. A couple of those nasty winters/springs kept knocking the vines back so they’d have to come back up from about ground level.

The black raspberries are just starting to show their flower clusters…

1 Like

Really? Mine won’t bloom for a month or more. Wild plums haven’t even bloomed here yet. I saw the first few serviceberries blooming last weekend.

1 Like

my serviceberry is still sleeping. probably because it was under the snow up until about 12days ago.

1 Like

Ha…they are half grown here! Serviceberries that is.

I covered my grapes again tonight. Calm, clear and cold. Right now there is big-time radiation cooling going on, but the dew point is much higher tonight than Friday night.

Frost warning further west of us