How is your weather? (Part 1)

Yum yum…

Sorry, Couldn’t help myself…

5 Likes

Yeah i just got home and it was still 49F out on the interstate. I think if something does happen it will be very short lived. The dewpoint is about +8F over the other night…so hopefully 33F-35F… for a low. Still a little wind too.

Record cold morning here…30F … from 1967. Wind was dead calm all night. I’m sure a few more things will have been hit. Luckily not everything is blooming yet. I’ll be very interested in how the stonefruit has been hit by this cold. I think the apples have enough closed blooms to be ok.

Fairbanks, AK has had 2 days now (in the last 3) 80F or above…omg.

neither of mine have even leafed out yet.

1 Like

they can have it!

They have one thing going for them up there and that is 24 hours of light… i think that probably keeps the temps from dropping off a whole lot at this time of the year. Their summer nights are much cooler then around here so warm season crops are about impossible without a high tunnel. I did some digging in the past and noticed lots of 40Fs/50Fs in the Eagle River, AK area during summer. Actually great for lettuce/berries/etc…not so great for tomatoes/peppers/melons.

Taking a look at May of 1967 for La Crosse …does look similar to this May…temps did rebound into the 90Fs after the cold…although i don’t like that 33F on May 22…

May1967

1 Like

Yup. None of the wild black or red raspberries have leafed out here either. Neither have any of my domestics. I imagine they’ll grow exponentially once(if) we get some rain and normal temps.

1 Like

a few days in the 60’s and some warm rain will really make them take off.

2 Likes

got to a balmy 28f today with a 10f windchill. felt like winter!

Raspberries half full size blackened here…
All early apples gone…late ones thin and scarce.
Not many cherries.
Only blueberries totally unhurt.

Sorry to hear that. One thing about living this far north is that we usually avoid spring frost damage to fruit. I checked on a couple pears that are just past tight cluster today. I didn’t see any damage, but I suppose it may still show up. Most of my apples are still at half inch green, a few at silver tip. No more frost in the 10 day forecast, at least for now.

2 Likes

We almost never get rain in May here in SoCal. So when the forecasters said there would be a slight chance of rain, I pretty much ignored them. My wife and I stepped out tonight for a walk and were met with a few sprinkles. We shrugged it off and headed down the hill. About two streets down the hill, the heavens opened and what turned out to be a very brief, but heavy enough rain shower came down. We were soaked pretty much instantly and the dogs were not happy.

Then I remembered the two bags of concrete mix I bought last week and left outside, because you know, it never rains in May in San Diego. So a hurried jog (which was really a walk - I’m out of shape) up the hill to toss a box over the two bags. Hopefully they didn’t get too wet.

2 Likes

It started snowing last night around 8pm and we had a low of 25F. Tonight may be the last frost for us, but NOAA and AcuRite have a 20 degree difference in forecast for Thurs night. After that I hope our night temps will be above freezing. Start planting out apple and pear grafts Friday.

Only 40F overnight and already back into the mid 60Fs…feels much warmer this morning. Should jump into the 70Fs tomorrow. Very good shot of some good rain Sat/Sun… We probably could use it. Part of my lawn that usually browns out in the summer is already browning… Should make a run at 80F mon and tues if not low 80Fs… Get this stuff cranking.

Second half of May looks mild/warm. At 7 day it’s getting a little omega block type look to things…trough along the west coast/trough along the east coast…that means ridging (and heat) for us in the middle. That trough to the east seems to hang around for awhile…still a deep trough there on day 10.

I’m out planting peaches today…it’s brutal 20 mph winds…feels about 15 degrees colder than the 53 it says.

1 Like

Supposed to get a couple inches of rain overnite and tomorrow, tho the radar doesn’t show it yet.

Already pretty warm

So much crazy weather this year! We had a little snow yesterday but as far as I can see nothing was damaged.

The endless fog and rain (third week!) is much worse for the bloom than a little snow. Pears and cherry had ideal pollination weather. Apples…not so much, but we’ll see!

3 Likes

Turned the heat off for hopefully the last time this year. I don’t think I’ve ever had the heat on this late into the spring.

4 Likes

I haven’t had mine on this month. I get this thing where i refuse to run it again…it was down to 66F in here the other day…but jumped back up to 73F yesterday…so all is good.

Should stick 70F or better the next 7 days… going to finish putting everything in the ground today. Probably mid 80s next week. Naefs keeps near record warmth right thru late May.

It actually has a “summerish” feel to it this morning outside…wet from the rain, but very mild. Mid 50Fs overnight…

10-4 on ‘summer’.

Had cold drizzle yesterday…but 80 today…and guess what…an afternoon ‘pop=up’ thunderstorm.

1 Like