How is your weather? (Part 1)

A bit floody here, another storm crawling up the river now.

We could use some rain here. They keep predicting it, but nothing much materializes.

The light is finally at the end of the tunnel! Finished planting 56 peach trees yesterday just in time for a 1/2 inch of rain tonight. 60s this weekend then summer kicks in around Tues/Wed with multiple days in the 70s with sunshine. I can hardly contain my excitement!

3 Likes

you guys have been pounded by rain this spring. every storm seems to just pass south of us. we get some but not like you have.

1 Like

Iā€™ll set up a pipeline from here

We got a gullywasher last nite. The neighborā€™s pond has returned, after being drained 5 years ago.

We got very little rainā€¦ I think this weekend should change thatā€¦gfs shows about 1/2 inchā€¦ still looks VERY warm in the extended.

That is a lot of peach trees. I potted up some rosemary and my back was hurting after that :slight_smile: All the same variety or a mix?

Some fog this morningā€¦havenā€™t seen much of thatā€¦ should be a A+ dayā€¦73F with light north winds and sun.

1 Like

Praying that the rain next week comes. Weā€™ve not only been unusually dry but believe it or not those humidityā€™s are quite low for us. Fire warnings are out and my place is in the woods. Fortunately itā€™s not around a bunch of trees and has a decent fire break nearbyā€¦Rain, Please rainā€¦

1 Like

A ways above average temps. tooā€¦

I was thinking about you and your place when I saw a story (last week?) about fires in Florida. How far were/are those fires from you?

The Waculla fire was 40 or so miles away. The other one was almost Alabama and a few hours away. So far nothing close by. Most of the area around here is timber or farm land and these guys usually understand the severity of burning or doing stupid stuff so hopefully we wonā€™t have any. Canā€™t stop lightning but we arenā€™t having any rainā€¦LOL. Thanks for the thoughts.

3 Likes

Contender & Red Haven. I was a bit worried that we would not get the promised rain this evening but it all came together & now they are calling for 1/2 inch.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think iā€™ve tried Red Haven before but have Contender but that died but it was in a rough spotā€¦ I would try it again though in a better spot.

Sunday is suppose to be crappyā€¦mid 50Fs so im waiting planting a few things until Monday.

Today was A++ ā€¦74Fā€¦dewpoints in the low 40Fsā€¦ light winds and hardly a cloud in the sky. Took 2 bike rides and a long walk. People were out all overā€¦river was packed full of boats. I could take months of weather like this. Also noticed that all the local apple treesā€¦the bloom is amazing this year. The crabapples are just pure flowersā€¦ you can smell them from quite a distance.

1 Like

big warm up coming. possibility of 70f come midweek. most of my plants are fertilized. now i have to get to mulching. most things are starting to bud. still have a 4ft. snowbank near my russian mulberry. the dogs favorite spot to roll around right now :wink: this is probably one of the latest Iā€™ve had snow still on the ground. went by a brook yesterday and the fiddleheads are just coming up.

3 Likes

Will that be your first 70F this year? This does seem late for snow to still be on the ground. Isnā€™t mud a season in Maine? Long ago i use to follow a blogger that made his own house from concrete in Maineā€¦and i remember something like that.

Ground is dry hereā€¦almost too dry. Up to 76F this afternoonā€¦rain is still holding west and north. GFS shows almost 1.5 inches of precipā€¦that would be the most rain in quite some time.

Tropical Depression #One Advisory 1: Tropical Depression Forms Off the Coast of East-Central Florida. Tropical Storm Watch Issued For a Portion of the North Carolina Coast.

yes it will be our 1st 70 of the season. plants are 2 weeks behind here. yes the mud season runs from mid apr. to mid late may depending on how wet it is. our deep frosts really heave up the ground in the winter making whole dirt roads turn into a mud pit once it melts until it drives out. seen pickups driving a long on a seemingly good dirt road and suddenly up to the doors from a frost pocket. high lifts are standard if going off road this time of year.

1 Like

I posted a couple days ago that we had a weather event. I now see a ā€œsurvey teamā€ has determined we were hit by a 25 mile long MacroBurst with 80-100 mph winds. My home weather station measured 65 mph winds. We were fortunate that our home and out-buildings werenā€™t damaged, the garage has 2 courses of HardieBoard damaged from a white pine. We spent yesterday checking our woodlots and found it was worse than we expected. After that we did some cleanup around the garage, then helped clear trees for our neighbor, her husband passed unexpectedly this past winter. We have several more days of work at her place. We then began clearing trails that go through our properties. This is going to take all summer to clean up. I guess we bought the sawmill at the right time, weā€™ll need to get that set up. I have a lot of photos, but hereā€™s just a couple to show what weā€™re dealing with. We lost some beautiful old trees. White Pine was by far the hardest hit tree.

4 Likes

More rain

Wow! Brutal.