How is your weather? (Part 1)

Our mud season about 4 hours South of moose71 runs earlier and was much shorter this year than in years past. I attribute that to the warmer winter temps and frost coming out of the ground earlier. That being said…April & May have been much cooler than normal…mostly the daytime temps as we avoided the below average nighttime temps (thankfully) this year.

2 Likes

Wow… yeah straight line winds are nothing to mess with. There was knockdown of trees in NE Wisconsin one year that you could see from space. I think they let loggers in there to get what they could but i’m sure it was a mess moving around. Good that you have a mill…those look like a lot of fun (given you have access to trees). Do you have a tractor or some way to move around trees?

Rain day today … Dry slot right now but should see more later this morning/afternoon… Less then half inch so far. Temps down to 52F… probably not getting out of the 50Fs…

0.7" here (Sheboygan) already. They say there’s a lot more to come. The motorcycle was ready to go before the Supreme Court of Wisconsin invalidated “Safer at Home,” but I guess I’m practicing social distancing, today, anyway.

Is it a Harley with the foot pegs and ape hangers? sidecar? :motorcycle:

I’ve never been into motorcycles but i do have way too many bicycles (mostly mtn bikes). We’ve got a few trails around here in the bluffs that can be fun to ride (riding uphill sucks).

Rain is done here for now…dry slot looks to stick around for the afternoon…although maybe some drizzle. I’ll be mowing in a few days for sure after this.

I’m not sure how warm it has been over on that side of the state but man the past few days have been gorgeous here. Last night we took another long walk… I can see why people live out in California /Arizona/etc…this is the weather they get in winter.

Praying this is an accurate forecast. We need rain really bad. I watered every day this past week just in case. The plants look good right now…Rain is just so much better IMO…

Yes, and last fall we picked up a set of forks for it. With the quick attach it’s so easy to switch out between the bucket and forks. I never realized how handy those forks are!

1 Like

Been raining here all day, we have had an inch or so less rain than normal this month so it’s welcome.

Might even have to mow the lawn soon… something I always try to avoid until I can’t anymore and I’ve shared dandelion seeds with the neighborhood…

1 Like

It’s an ancient and venerable Honda Goldwing. This photo is 13 years ago. I took other vacations up to five years ago, but, since my employer has taken to compensating me for unused vacation, I’ve relinquished the time rather than spent it.

http://lacusveris.com/Moab/Snaps/Transportation.shtml#0150

2 Likes

Those bikes are bullet proof. My oldest brother had an Interceptor (new) back in the 80s and i knocked it over (i was a kid)…oops.

Will be interesting to see if we get stuck under clouds all day tomorrow :frowning: Looking possible. Probably clear out just as the sun goes down.

Next weekend shows warm on GFS…would be 80F or better both days.

Flooding all over the place

That has been one nasty system hanging out in the middle of the country!

We got less than a tenth on Saturday. I’d guess we’ve had less than half of the normal precip since mid-late February.

Wow… had about 3/4 inch here.

There is a small band of rain heading west down i90 right now that should be in here shortly.

Today high of 56F …low 52F… . be nice to get some breaks in the clouds…we’ll have to see.

Yesterday we had a season high of 86, very warm, I actually worked up a sweat. We had to turn the AC back on this weekend.

Low end estimates for rain here from now until Wed is 2.5 inches, while high end forecast is 3.5 inches.

Great, right when it was just dry enough to disk and till the garden plots, and mow the lawn we will get a deluge.

Between the freezes and the almost incessant rains, it’s driving me crazy. Or more crazy, anyways.

1 Like

GFS model of rain accumulations up until Thu morning. Looks like we’re on the hook for 3-4 inches by Thu afternoon. Awesome.

The tropical storm is influencing this system, instead of it sweeping thru quickly, it’s being blocked on the way out.

Been doing a lot of mowing today, because it may be over a week before it’s dry enough to mow again. All this water on the ground will do wonders for my newly forming strawberry crop. Not.

Under a tornado watch until 9pm. Thankfully I just got done ride mowing and push mowing, and am soaked from the humidity. I can see why we’re under a watch, it’s super soupy and still.

2 Likes

Just mud those crops in…

My tomatoes look like garbage. I need to revamp this whole seed starting operation. Some things worked fine (herbs) but man…the tomatoes have been fail after fail…i think its the soil…very heavy garbage i had bought awhile back. Going back to peat moss or something different. I think the lights are fine (LED/very bright)… Next year…its always next year!

Blueberries are blooming. Sun starting to pop out a little. Maybe get a walk in today.

4 Likes

Good advice…mud them in…
(when more rain is expected).

(Mudding in followed by drought is not good at all.)

1 Like

Gary over at The Rustic Garden Youtube channel has a nice little tutorial on making your own seed starting mix. And here’s his tutorial on starting tomato seeds.

1 Like

I was being sarcastic…

I will say last spring they were mudding corn/beans in around here because nothing would dry out and the time to seed /plant was passing quickly.