How is your weather? (Part 1)

The rex block is in place…high pressure to the north across Michigan/lakes and low pressure to the south over TN/Ky. Wisconsin has cleared but MN has some work to do. Northeast is looking fantastic today… we’ll see if we can ding an 80F here…looks wet this weekend.

Maine doesn’t show any rain in the next 6 days on the GFS…

No you’re right they should grow just about anywhere…thought I had a good place with nice afternoon shade, got a couple of blueberry bushes nearby that are doing really well…that spot didn’t work out…all the stores are sold out of them, when they get back in stock, I’ll try planting in a few different places…maybe I’ll get lucky.

1 Like

they have all kinds of z6 hardy blackberries in stock here at TSC that are barely hanging on. i could save some for you and send them to you. never could understand why they send stuff like that that just dies and gets thrown out. we’re in z3b- 4a! they also have probably 60 trees that are all dying. all z5 rated. nice big ones too. most are dead fro frost last week.

that’s sad…you’d think they’d pay more attention and send the ones with the proper hardiness…

Do Triple Crown grow up where you are? They grow here but fruiting is another issue. I ripped mine out years ago. Black raspberries and summer raspberries work fine…although SWD has made a mess of growing berries around here. As in i hope you like eating squirmy larvae.

The wild blackberries are invasive here. I don’t know if it’s true but I’ve left some wilds because it’s believed they help the specific cultivars. The wilds Are definitely invasive at my place

2 Likes

is the fruit on them decent?

Meh…small and inconsistent

1 Like

no. the only bred blackberries I’ve got to grow and fruit here are baby cakes dwarf blackberries which have good sized tasty berries with no thorns. have nelsons from fedco i put in last year that should fruit this summer… there is a wild one i found a few years ago but the fruit is about the size of a big wild raspberry. they are prolific and tasty and nearly thornless though so i put in 6 plants to see if fruit size improves under cultivation. swd hasn’t shown itself yet but I’ve been preparing by planting early fruiting varieties.

I have a bunch of the black raspberries that keep venturing around the yard…the thorns on those things will rip you apart. I did get fruit of triple crown for a few years (not much…i think it was because they were covered with snow). Maybe a dwarf is what would work best.

SWD is thick here. Even the early fruits now seem to get them (I’ve seen them in all raspberries…even the gold variety)…i’ve also seen them in sour cherries. Other fruit seem to be ok. I have some of that sugar substitute erythritol that has been shown to kill them so maybe i’ll spray this year and see what happens. Fall raspberries are the worst for them…i think the population overwinters here and even more fly in later in the summer on south winds.

Up to 74F… with light east winds…thank God for high pressure.

1 Like

Weather Underground says next 14 days rain in KY…Saturday the possible exception.
Didn’t get much today, with the low pressure sitting overhead…the one that was in Wisconsin earlier in week.

Hoping like hell we get this rain. Really hoping the 40 percenters are in my 40 percent! LOL…

It was about 70 degrees yesterday afternoon and I didn’t even think to check the weather. I woke up this morning and about half the basil, one pepper plant, and the bitter gourd I put in the ground got burned by a frost. The eggplant and tomatoes were all fine. We’re usually, but not always, safe to plant by around Mother’s Day here. I don’t remember ever seeing a frost this late in May around here.

1 Like

Heavy cloud cover has made it way back north. Sun might be hard to come by the next few days. Temps look mild. This pattern is very annoying. Did the jet stream go on vacation? Very messy looking low is moving west and north… Hard to keep a tan in this pattern :sun_with_face:

83f sunny and windy. fire danger is very high. no rain in the 7 or 10 day. stuffs just started leafing out so i have been watering to give them a good start. R.H been staying about 20% which is very dry for us esp. in the spring. dust blowing everywhere.

1 Like

Looks like next weds rain moves into Maine…doesn’t look all that impressive as of right now.

Looks awfully wet across the wet side of Texas and into the OK/AR… something to watch

Denver was 90F yesterday and dropped to 45F overnight… crazy mountain air

71F here…took awhile to warm up until the sun made an appearance. Winds did kick up some.

1 Like

Yes, we have had burn bans off and on here. My chickens are sneezing all the time, I am blaming the dry dusty weather.

1 Like

Front lawn going dormant, so I’m watering…in May. Just nuts.

1 Like

They should wear masks.

2 Likes

Some rain overnight …dropped to 60F…probably the warmest overnight here so far this year. Still cloudy. Should warm up into the 80Fs this weekend…some rain chances. Doesn’t it always storm on Memorial Day? Seems like it does. Who knows. It does look warm and wet for next week.