How is your weather? (Part 1)

Had a rain soaked Memorial Day, but it was sorely needed…Only a 1/2 inch, but it’s a good start and should get things greening back up again after the scorching hot previous couple of weeks. It’s actually raining right now…

Looks like we’re in for a wet week…I’ll take it…

Update at 12:30 PM…ET

3:45 PM ET…close to 3 inches in less than 12 hours.

1 Like

I can’t remember the last time it rained here in Central Maine…maybe 2 weeks ago? Looks like a few mid-summer like days coming up and possible t-storms on Saturday…we need some rain!!! Another cooling trend starting Sunday…down to about 40ish at night early next week but at least no frost!

1 Like

Plant shade trees!

been 3 weeks here! having to water everything every other day because stuff is just leafing out . some hasn’t even yet. i don’t ever remember having to water in may. chance of showers weds-fri. night with highest chance fri. then dry and back in the mid 60’s sat- sun. drove though the farmland this morning. fields look like Arizona sand its so dry.

2 Likes

i have a few on the west side that have started shading for late afternoon sun. I probably will do a metal roof and possibly solar panels on the south facing when i redo the roof (shingles are pushing 20 years and have had some hail on them a few times).

Over an inch of rain last night. Lots of lightning. Hot and humid again this morning…looking at 85F today.

The late week cool off is going to feel nice…should be perfect camping weather. Enjoy the cool weather because it doesn’t last long…

Great - the only veg crop I have growing at all well is the lettuce - and that will put an end to it.

Are you sure you really like lettuce?

2 Likes

Got 1.6" of rain yesterday and today. It was very much needed. May have saved a bunch of my trees. We’re still way behind on rainfall for the spring, but at least it was something.

2 Likes

Yeah that cool season stuff is very difficult up here…its either snowing or 90F. Today feels like July. Front should clear thru on Friday so then cooler/drier. Strawberries and black raspberries are full of blooms. Should be a good strawberry year but might go quick with this heat.

Threat of rain all day around the city but only a few drops. I had 90F in the car…so that is a first for the year.

Just looking at the GFS…the 850 temps are actually a few degrees C warmer then those in place right now…so if conditions are right…expect temps even warmer then now mid/late next week.

1 Like

we missed the record by 1 degree. 87f , 88f was the record. muggy as hell . fri- sat am best chance of guaranteed rainfall.

2 Likes

Yeah, umm, not a day I want to relive anytime soon.
All the garden is crying mercy.

2 Likes

Look at Miami… they’ve had over 14 inches of rain in the last few days… without any hurricane…

Just today over 7 inches… They’ll need boats to get around.

1 Like

We hit 89.2 F yesterday, and today should match that. Trying to get the veggie gardens planted and the soil is really dry. Never had the A/C in the window in May before.

1 Like

We’re seeing some sun today so it’s starting to dry out…But yeah, they’ve been inundated for sure and no where for the water to go…a buddy of mine who lives down there posted some pictures of the streets in downtown Miami, they were completely flooded…looks like a river…

1 Like

Miami is going under. All Florida is. Place is flat as a pancake and only 1 inch above a rising sea level

Flooding like that in Florida or anywhere in the Deep South freaks me out…all I can see is gators, snakes and god knows what else swimming around in those waters.:dizzy_face:

1 Like

Golden Noble hit full bloom yesterday, and little black bumble bees have been at work on it. Wolf River is only at first pink. The micro climate along the Lake Michigan shore makes sure the trees planted here don’t get too far ahead. Eat your heart out, @moose71. You’re about the only one behind me.

6 Likes

85 and humid today, has been near 90 the last three days, with no real rain. Things are finally drying out some. Maybe we can get our gardens planted out within a week.

Mosquitoes and ticks seem to be plentiful this year.

1 Like

with this hot, humid weather i can almost see the growth right now. my adirondack gold apricot is full of blooms and bees. almost all my cherries have swelling flowers ready to pop. currants and gooseberries are covered in flowers and growing like crazy the last couple of days. hard to believe last week i still had a snow drift near the garage. gotta love n Maine. once its starts, things grows quickly. got some thunder rumbling in the west. cmon rain!

3 Likes

Yeah it is a tropical jungle down there. I’m always interested in their weather because its so different then the rest of the US. Would i live down there? Maybe if i had a few acres to grow all my favorite tropical fruits…but i’m sure the nonstop heat/humidity would get old after a few years. AC bills are probably a good chunk of change…since they must run more or less year round. Hawaii would be my first pick :pineapple:

85F and humid again… rain all around us. Last 2 nights we’ve had storms move thru late in the evening…maybe again tonite…who knows. Sat and Sun morning should drop back into the 40Fs… good sleeping weather.

The growth on the plants has been amazing. Even my i thought dead fig is back to life.

2 Likes