How is your weather? (Part 1)

2 inches of rain so far…drizzling right now… Another low pressure far to the south is pulling a cold front thru now…should be clouds most of the day.

Heaviest path sat just west of this area…lot of totals between 3 and 5 inches. Area rivers will be mud for awhile.

1 Like

Yeah…cool high pressure from Canada isn’t too bad this time of year…it’s when we get it in January that it can get ugly.

Looks like a beautiful stretch of weather coming up for the midwest.

AC takes a vacation for the weekend.

2 Likes

The hurricane finally looks to be over! About 3.5"s, a few thunderstorms overnight. We needed the first 2".

Around here, I think we got just about the right amount.

We had a brief downpour, a quick line of storms blew through, we got about 5/8" of rain. We were under a severe t-storm warning for about a half hour, the wind got pretty intense, but didn’t last too long.

I went out afterwards to inspect things, and the trees looked ok, but a few of the new blackberry canes got blown over. We planted a few tomato plants, so I had put down some straw mulch around them about an hour before, so they looked alright after.

After the storms had rolled to our NE about 25 miles, they spawned a few funnel clouds, there were a few tornado warnings but don’t know if anything touched down.

Right now, it’s clearing off, and the temp is down from 90 at 5pm to 72 now.

1 Like

was windy and low 70’s today. chance of rain goes up tom. watered tonight just in case it all misses us.

1 Like

We’ve had nearly 12 inches of rain in basically 4 days. We needed it bad. Now if we can get our normal afternoon rain we’ll be all good. :+1:

1 Like

we have a 4in. deficit so some good steady rain would be nice. luckily our clay soil is very slow to dry out.

2 Likes

Believe it or not my place in Monticello is clay about 18 inches down. It’s pretty darn hard stuff too…

1 Like

A stiff SE breeze today kept it in the 60s today. A chance of steady rain tomorrow…then a few days of comfortable 70ish weather…summer hits around next Tuesday…80s/60s highs & lows after that.

1 Like

Finally! 1/2" of rain last night. Things seem to have perked up.

1 Like

heavy rain and thunderstorms last night. i can nearly hear everything growing out there. :wink:

2 Likes

summer is officially here…the feel like is only 105…do anything physical outside during the day and you’re drenched in 5 minutes…evenings are muggy but tolerable…on the plus side we have’t had any more rain and things are drying out a bit…

1 Like

Apparently this is about the weather a couple of years ago.

I had 20 trees in my backyard. I felt I had to destroy Golden Russet after it died last summer with a load of fruit. Wolf River has not yet leafed out fully this year.

The rest of my trees are setting fruit.

Authorities I have consulted are blaming the Polar Vortex of Jan 2019 two years ago for latent damage to the B9 rootstocks of these two trees. Wolf River did bear a little last year, so I’m skeptical of this explanation.

I have decided to submit this for discussion by practical orchardists here in hopes that you all will confirm or deny this diagnosis.

2 Likes

May be vole girdling.

1 Like

Low 90s through the weekend…no sign of rain until at least a week from Saturday. Maine is becoming a desert!

1 Like

yeah its getting pretty bad. we got 3/4in. the beg. of last week but was dry for a month before that. I’m watering everything every other day. at least the fungal issues are being dealt with naturally but I’m starting to see heavy bug damage. time to spray!

Getting dry enough to notice, but nothing hurting yet for moisture here in S.Central Kentucky.

But, speaking of weather…unusual weather…we are supposed
to be getting THUNDERSTORMS out of the North-East from the low pressure that soaked Virginia the past few days…

Thunderstorms from the NE happen maybe once every 5 years over the past 60…and usually in month of August.

Strange pattern.

Unusually cool for June compared to last summers heat wave. When it rains it is a tropical downpour with incredible lightning ! Very dramatic !

2 Likes

Went from record-wet May to bone-dry June. I water a bed, come around the next day, and no sign of it.

The cherries certainly aren’t cracking like they did last year!

2 Likes