How is your weather? (Part 1)

if it wasn’t for the aqua ducts bringing water from the colorado river it would be nothing but a desert. if you keep your windows closed with no windshield protector the pressure from the heat could blow a window out. i remember when i was stationed in N.M that happened a few times.

2 Likes

You almost have to live like a spider or scorpion and only come out at night. I think they have big tarantulas out there.

The mountains in New Mexico would be nice place to spend summer.

Next week… fall like…highs in the low 70Fs and lows in the low 50Fs… Shouldn’t last forever though …heat will be back.

1 Like

@RaleighWx

Folks on the Florida coast really need to watch this. The latest trends I am noticing is a slower speed and closer track to the SE FL coast. A landfall even if brief is entirely possible Saturday night/Sunday morning. #Isaias

It can stay away. I’m enjoying this respite a lot. Weeds have been taking over while I was hiding in the shade, out of the heat.

2 Likes

12z GFS has it hitting central Florida/space coast and then moving offshore and hitting again the S Carolina and speeding up the coast (mostly as a heavy rainstorm…should weaken inland) but looks to run thru all the major cities (Dc/NY/Boston).

1 Like

This is a storm to look at… i’m updating on severe warning thread.

I still have cauliflower/broccoli that has yet to head up…planted in April! My lettuce has flowers.

2 Likes

Hottest day of the year in parts of Europe. Paris was 104F and London was 98F. Pretty impressive stuff.

1 Like

We have those in CA. At least fist size, and larger.

1 Like

I wouldn’t wait on it

I’m all in at this point. I have no idea how to grow those things here. I think 1 year i actually got a nice head of the purple stuff. It seems impossible with this climate.

It is so dry here. Having sand for soil has its downside and that is if we don’t get about an inch a week, it turns crusty fast. Instead of weeding, now i’m watering…even the big trees (oaks/conifers) i’ve started giving a good soak. Also laid down a bunch of woodchips.

Maybe rain tomorrow but the odds are slim and it looks like very little…after that a big high pressure system comes down and next chance of rain is late week…looks dry again after that. Tues morning GFS has upper 40Fs…with this bone dry soil that might be a possibility.

As a generality, I find brassicas tend to do better as fall crops.

Which would take watering

Ugh. Hurricane I. is heading for us on Wednesday as of right now. Predicted 25-40 MPH winds…looks like I will be busy over the next couple of days staking a few trees & thinning some apples and peaches to try and avoid broken branches or fallen trees. Always something to worry about…2020 has sucked in that regard!:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Looks like it goes right thru CT/MA/VT and into W Maine as it heads north very quickly.

1 Like

yeah. not good for trees filled with fruit! i have several of my cherries that put on a lot of growth on top this season that I’m worried about breaking in high winds.

1 Like

Yesterday was very weird here… topped out at 73F but most of the day was upper 60Fs… clouds the entire day made it feel like fall. Dropped to 52F this morning which is the coldest morning since June 14th (50F). Still no rain…last good rain around here was July 9th.

Where the city rebuilt the roadway a few years back…they put in new sidewalk/sod/trees… no shade so it’s hit by sun all day. Grass is brown, trees leaves are all falling off. Someone forgot to water.

2 Likes

I was really hoping to at least get some outer bands from the storm and some reduced humidity. I guess not…

I was cold last night…put on a long sleeve for the first time in a long time. Some clouds this afternoon…upper levels must be really cold. 71F…dewpoint is 45F… very dry for early Aug.

International Falls, MN was 39F this morning.

1 Like

Dodged this one…Those high level winds broke it up and it was pretty disorganized from the get go, so thankfully Isaias was pretty much a non-event for us…we were expecting some N’or easter like conditions today but it’s not even really that windy and no rain…

1 Like

we got a few little bands on and off today with a bit of rain, not like we needed any more…

1 Like