How is your weather? (Part 1)

This Canadian air first week of August is rather rare…have seen several times in later August over the past 60 years.

1 Like

Feels nice to great a break from the heat/humidity. AC has taken a few day break too. Going to go right back ot summer though by the looks of it… Heat gets turned back on Friday and Sunday should be right back into the 90Fs or better with plenty of humidity. 15 day is more or less summer…so a quick taste of fall.

Tropical downpours right now…more rain & less wind (thankfully!) than I expected…so far.

3 Likes

Tropical storms are kinda fun…have experienced several.
But I suspect hurricanes are not fun.
Been in Tampa, Pensacola, FL and in Brunswick GA for tropical storms…and just missed one in Myrtle Beach one time.
Carolina Beach with snow is kinda fun too.

Freakin HOT!!!

2 Likes

I predict record cold for Florida this winter :santa:

Actually…Florida is probably due for some cold? Its been some very mild winters down there lately.

2 Likes

Yep, yep, I was in Highlands county with 17 degrees in 2009 I think it was…killed an orange tree or two.

Might be a cold winter…there is an el Nina I think this winter?

Well we ended up getting some pretty nasty 40+ wind gusts…not real excited to tour the orchard tomorrow morning. Hopefully no major tree damage even if we did lose some fruit.

1 Like

I was in S Florida Jan of 2009 and it was very cold the last few days we were there. i think i remember seeing frost in Key Largo (Homestead, FL showed 35F that morning). 2010 looks like it was even colder.

Warmer overnight here… about 10F over the previous…dew points have crept back up too. Still looking for rain…even the weeds in my lawn are dead :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I got through the peach orchard. One smaller tree down…split down the middle where “rot” spot had started. A few peaches fell…but not as many as I thought. The worst thing was that quite a few 2-3 year old trees with a lot of new top growth are now leaning and need to be staked. Ugh…more work.

1 Like

Yeah…storms are always a little scary if you have a tree or more full of fruit. Picking up drops gets old. I’ve filled up a few 5 gallon buckets with dropped/half chomped on apples already.

I had an old (10 ish years) apricot that fell over the last storm we had (50mph+ winds)… One thing i’ve noticed about stonefruit is that they are not a long term type of tree up here. Seems like they have an expiration date and you have to be ready to start over all the time. Also they get blitzed by critters both winged and non winged. My Saturn peach got swiped clean the past 2 days. Thinking either squirrels or chipmunks.

I’m about done with apple growing… the birds just peck way too much of the fruit…and with how dry it has been i don’t blame them (although i do have a pond and a bird bath which they use). I’m going to chainsaw 2 apples–plus we really don’t eat apples in this house unless they are Honeycrisp.

Berries are still doing great. Awesome blueberry year. Raspberries are still blooming/have set fruit for fall. With the lack of rain i’ve had to water a lot.

1 Like

Can’t catch a break…we’re getting about a 1/2 inch to an inch each every afternoon…

It has been mild the last couple of winters, but we go in cycles…A few years back we had one of the coldest days/nights in the last 20 or so years…I happened to be out camping with some friends that weekend it got down to the low 20’s…I was not as prepared as I should have been and it wound up being a long cold night…

@warmwxrules I’d gladly send some of this your way if I could…

Seems it’s not letting up…4:20PM ET…

drydrydry

1 Like

so far were up to the 2nd driest on record. people have given up mowing lawns and just 50 mi. to the south the lawns are green. its only a small area up here thats in severe drought.

I think we’re above normal third year running.

1 Like

It is pretty rough here, but areas of Iowa have it worse… This map isn’t all that accurate because there are areas near me that have had good rain, and then areas like where i am that have had pretty much nothing. Only positive is no mowing for the last 3 weeks. Lots and lots of watering. I try to fill up a few 5 gallon buckets everyday so the water warms (our well water is cold).

2 Likes

Yeah, others have it worse. The rain around here has been hit and miss - our place is mostly miss. I recall last week seeing the Cubs game deluged out from the rain that went right past us.

A week or so ago when i was looking at other cities i noticed Chicago was way below normal for precip (at Ohare)…so they probably needed it too.

We got just enough rain this morning to wet the pavement…lasted maybe 15 minutes. Looking at radar there were some good cells to the north/east (the trend this year)…that area along i94 from Minneapolis to Madison has had a lot of heavy rain this summer.

Looks like a tornado hit a few miles from my house yesterday. Lots of rain too, river was higher than for Isaias a few days ago, the highest I’ve seen it. Heard some talk about it being a thousand year storm, not sure but it is a real mess.

You make out okay @ahmad?

Thanks for checking Brent! I actually wanted to check on you too. We had two record breaking events in Delaware this week! On Tue a tornado hit Dover and traveled on land for about 30 miles reaching Middletown and Glasgow, then on Fri we had record downpour in North Wilmington, I think about 4” in half an hour. Here is how it looked a few hundred feet from my house yesterday!

Luckily my garden suffered minimal damage, a downed 12’ cherry tomato and pepper plant and snapped RDB fig. My main concern is pluot cracking (they are all bagged, so cannot tell how many cracked) and quality of my nectarines which are due to be picked the end of next week.

3 Likes