How is your weather? (Part 1)

12z GFS runs not 1, but 2 tropical systems into Louisiana …One near New Orleans and the second one west more.

Got some rain here…less then 1/10 inch…need more. Hot next week…mid 90Fs looking likely now. Better hope the storms fire today and drop more or i’ll be watering like mad.

@MikeAdcockWx

Dropsonde in #Marco splashed at 993 hPa under 15 kt of wind, so likely closer to 992 hPa. Eyewall drop showed a peak of 66 kt at 977 hPa. Looking at the profile, it would reduce to around 50 kt, but SFMR indicating up to 54 kt. Vortex has a closed eye now of 10 n mi.

1 Like

looks like new orleans in the crosshairs again. at least they aren’t predicted to be a cat4 and cat3.

35 min
A Tropical Storm Watch has been issued from the Mississippi/Alabama border eastward to the Alabama/Florida border. #Marco

35 min
A Storm Surge Watch has been issued from Sabine Pass eastward to the Alabama/Florida border, including Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Maurepas, Lake Borgne, and Mobile Bay. #Marco

36 min
BREAKING: A Hurricane Watch has been issued from Intracoastal City Louisiana eastward to the Mississippi/Alabama border, including Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Maurepas, and Metropolitan New Orleans.

1 Like

96 Hour UKMET, EURO, GFS, ICON 00z model runs.
TEXAS/LOUISIANA residents from Port O’Connor to Grand Isle should take note of current trends in model runs. Potentially dangerous situation developing for Western Gulf states.
All models showing a Sub 960mb hurricane as Laura nears coast.
Less than 4 days from potential impacts. Not a lot of time to prepare.

Bring it on! With rain, please.

Nice day today, after rain past two days (scattered, some places may have missed out). Muggy and hot…then perhaps rain from the tropical systems in Gulf of Mexico later in coming week.

…MARCO BECOMES A HURRICANE…
…LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE AND HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS EXPECTED
ALONG PORTIONS OF THE U.S. GULF COAST…

Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate
that Marco has strengthened into a hurricane with maximum winds of
75 mph (120 km/h) with higher gusts.

According to my home weather station we haven’t had rain since 8/11/2020. Our trails through the properties are so dry they’re covered in a fine sand and when we drive over them a cloud of dust follows. *Edit: We did have a rain event on 8/16 (the hurricane remains) but for some reason my system is going back to 8/11.

1 Like

I dug a hole the other day to put in a blueberry and the soil was so dry/dusty. Amazing how fast it can dry out here…we had over 7 inches of rain in June and now this month we’ve had just a tad over an inch. The never ending sunshine, wind hasn’t been helping either. Overall its been nice (temps/humidity) the past few weeks, just non stop watering.

Chance of rain tomorrow and late week.

228hr GFS has some snow flakes for the Black Hills of South Dakota… seems early, we’ll see.

our severe drought here has worsened. almost exceptional now. we’ve had a few 1/4in. rainfalls this month but after 10 min. its like it never happened. they are saying yields in the potato fields will be 50% of average. 2020 bites! see cooling down coming. maybe will bring more moisture. at this point it won’t help the farmers as the plants cease growing by the end of august anyway.

1 Like

Our apple orchard is as dry as I’ve ever seen it (10 years). We have irrigation for the blueberries & peaches but the apples are on their own. They seem to be holding up pretty well though…and I have hand watered the stuff I put in this season.

2 Likes

1 Like

I’m seeing more squrrels into the apples and pears than usual - probably thirsty

2 Likes

Cooler in the 70’s today with a breeze. This usually does not happen until October.

@keyswxpro

The significant wave height at the @CDIPBuoys buoy (Satan Shoal) just off the Florida Reef tract SW of #KeyWest is approaching 6 feet this morning. By this evening, seas likely will be approaching 15 feet there as SE gales rise over the Straits of Florida. @NWSKeyWest #TSLaura

TS Marco…

@TropicalTidbits

52 min

Keep in mind that impacts from #Marco that are ongoing along the north gulf coast extend well east of where the center is forecast to make landfall later today. Heavy rain is spreading into Alabama and the Florida panhandle, where flash flood watches (green) are in place. Be safe

the drought is moving south now. all of aroostook county is severe when last month it was just the north. bought some corn from a local farmer and its tiny compared to regular years.

Apples will cook on the trees today. Calling for 98F and should be plenty humid.

2 Likes

damn Rob! you get a lot of 90+ for z4. we rarely see 90 here.