How is your weather? (Part 1)

Yeah this next week looks pretty mild. Nothing diving into the 40s overnight during the next 2 weeks for us.

1 Like

Front is passing thru us right now. They Say we might get 2-3" rain in the coming week, but I know better than to count on it.

Whatā€™s left of the growing season here are the Fuji apples, once I pick the Brooks plums, which I canā€™t keep the squirrels out of. Everything else is either picked, finished, or never fruited in the first place.

1 Like

I have so many houseplants that iā€™ll be playing musical chairs moving them in and out of the garage until daytime temps get too cold. I can usually push that into late October in a good year (weā€™ve had Halloweens that you can wear shorts and some you need winter jackets)ā€¦maybe even keep them out some in November. Winter starts here about November 15th. The problem is usually cloudsā€¦iā€™;m not sure how the NE isā€¦but November is the cloudiest month hereā€¦and December is a close second.

1 Like

This thing looks impressive. Snow even into W Kansas/NEā€¦

Rainfall totals for the next 7 daysā€¦should help some

Frost, eh?

I saw it had snowed in Idaho and MT.

Raining hereā€¦monsoon season followed the remnants of Hurricane Laura I reckon.
Quite often we have a wet late August in KYā€¦but definitely not all years as some are quite dry.

Earliest frost I am aware of here was Sept. 18, 1980ā€¦following a long hot summer.
Mid October or late October the usual first frost here. 1987 I picked tomatoes from the garden for Thanksgivingā€¦Iā€™m thinking this year may be closer to that year than to the September frost year.

1 Like

Usually light early frosts donā€™t do a lot of harm, itā€™s the teens we get in November that will put everything to sleep for good.

Nice day today ā€¦72F/46F ā€¦ canā€™t really get much better. Full sun.

1 Like

75f and sunny here but last day of 70+ for awhile.

Iā€™ve lived in Colorado for a long time now, but even Iā€™m a little shocked by this temperature swingā€¦

Capture5

Any idea on what kind of damage I might expect on trees that have been basking in 90ā€™s for the past two months? Anything I can do?

1 Like

wow!

Wow is right! Here in Maine most of September is like a slow burn toward fall/winter. Honestly the thing that I notice is the dwindling daylight more than the cooler temps because the sunshine is still brilliant & warm.

October is when things really start to get dicey. We usually get our first ā€œkillingā€ frost around the first/second week of Oct. Around the third week of Oct things really go downhill temps and daylight wise. By the end of the month we could see measurable snow. November is just plain nasty as far as weather goesā€¦for every ā€œniceā€ day (sun and ā€œmaybeā€ in the 40s) it always seems like we get about 4 bad onesā€¦a very wet, dreary & dark month.

My ranking of months weather wise from best to worst (might surprise some people):

1. September
  2. June
  3. July
  4. May
  5. October
  6. August
  7. January
  8. December
  9. April
  10. November
  11. March
  12. February

Those last 3 are the pits for me.

2 Likes

Those are rainfall totals in millimeters, right? I donā€™t buy it that we will get 2-2.5 inches of rain here in E.C. Iowa.

Donā€™t ever believe rainfall totals off those models. If anything just know there is a chance liquid might fall from the sky. The GFS is even heavier on precip with this model run for east Iowa (Quad Cities area looking wet) ā€¦this thing is going to be fun to watch. Now it shows snow into N Texas :slight_smile: Yeehaw! Who knows what happensā€¦elevation obviously will play a huge factor out west and time of day (night) Looks like all rain here. Even frost is unlikely in these parts, but temps are going to feel frigid. Calling for highs in the 50Fs next. Cold September rain.

2 Likes

i concur. at least here the temps swings arenā€™t as severe as in the western states.

1 Like

sept. is my favorite month to go camping. warm days and cool nights. no bugs. and the fishing is usually good with male brook trout sporting their fall spawning colors. :wink:

4 Likes

October is probably the best in terms of weather around here. Summer humidity is almost always gone, shorter days, coolerā€¦but still lots of sun. Fall colors start showing. This time of year is hunting time so there is that too (bow hunting runs mid Sept into January).

We could see 2 days with highs in the 50Fs next week. Last time we had a high temp in the 50Fs was May 18th (59F). With all the rain around/clouds next weekā€¦frost is looking very unlikelyā€¦should stick into the 40Fs overnight. Warm up by Thurs.

1 Like

November, December, January are best here. Iā€™ll be planting carrots, cabbage, lettuce and a few others soon. We never get enough frost to have to worry about the winter crops. Iā€™ll pay better Attention this year and will hopefully have a good crop.
Hunting here starts bow Sept 19. I love bow but itā€™s usually pretty darn hot for it. Still short sleeves and bug repellent.

No frost here usually until mid to late Jan

Iā€™m thinking I might even try a late sweet drip sorghum this year. I plant now I think I can still get a decent crop

1 Like

I was behind a car with Florida plates today. Probably getting ready to roll out :slight_smile:

I would say if you hate coldā€¦you can usually aim for about November 15thā€¦up until then i feel like itā€™s pretty safeā€¦after thenā€¦ runā€¦run as fast as you can==Florida/California/Arizona/Gulf Coast ā€¦

we were gun hunting one year and it started snowing pretty heavyā€¦the old guy (family friend) i was with (i was a teen/hunting with older brother) said he was ā€œgetting out while the gettings goodā€ā€¦ that has always stuck in my head for some reason. I still remember him fish tailing all over the place as he drove away.

80F sunny and low humidity this afternoonā€¦iā€™m going for a bike ride.

1 Like

Rain! The only rain on the national radar map - right on top of us!

1 Like

Under a quarter inch here but a lot more to the south. Temp really plummeted over night (64F right now). Should see rain later today and then off and on for most of the week. Going to feel like late October.

Going to be moving a lot of plants around today.

mid 60ā€™s with high wind advisory.(+40 mph).