How is your weather? (Part 1)

No surprise here…one year ago the Old Farmer’s Almanac predicted six degrees below normal for the month (of Sept.) for KENTUCKY!!!

Mandatory Evacuations for everyone outside the levee protection starting early tomorrow morning in Louisiana. Mostly Lake Catherine, Lake borgne Venetian Isles area needs to begin leaving early tomorrow. Mayor just ordered it.

its normal here. 1st. frosts usually come mid sept. killing frost in oct.

1 Like

And a hurricane on the way maybe?

Yes. You can follow it on Severe Weather Thread…

Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Miami FL
223 AM EDT Sun Sep 13 2020

The National Weather Service in Miami has extended the

• Flash Flood Warning for…
    Northern Miami-Dade County in southeastern Florida…

• Until 630 AM EDT.

• At 223 AM EDT, Doppler radar and automated rain gauges indicated
    thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. Between
    3 and 4 inches of rain have fallen. Flash flooding is ongoing or
    expected to begin shortly.

HAZARD…Life threatening flash flooding. Thunderstorms
producing flash flooding.

SOURCE…Doppler radar and automated gauges.

IMPACT…Life threatening flash flooding of creeks and streams,
urban areas, highways, streets and underpasses.

• Some locations that will experience flash flooding include…
    Miami, Hialeah, Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Key Biscayne, South
    Miami, Virginia Key, Kendall, Miami Gardens, North Miami, Doral,
    Miami Lakes, Hialeah Gardens, Pinecrest, Opa-Locka, Miami Springs,
    Sweetwater, Miami Shores, West Miami and El Portal.

Additional rainfall amounts of 1 to 3 inches are possible in the
warned area.

TS Sally:
Hurricane warning now issued from Grand Isle, LA to Ocean Springs, MS

Hurricane Paulette:
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for…

• Bermuda

Friday through Sunday looking like mid-30s at night…that forecast changed fast!

3 Likes

Paulette now forecast to become a Major. Bad news for Bermuda…

11:00 AM AST Sun Sep 13

Moving: NW at 14 mph

Min pressure: 976 mb

Max sustained: 80 mph

1 Like

The weather model doesn’t look quite as cold for the NE>…the cold doesn’t look to penetrate as far south as earlier runs. Should still feel very crisp.

First sunny day here since last Sat. That is the longest cloudy stretch in a long time. Nice dry stretch coming up here with plenty of sun.

1 Like

Back to really hot! High 80’s .

The flooding from rain is going to be bad. The 12Z HWRF predicts 54 inches of rain in Mobile, AL despite having a much weaker storm.

We got over 4 inches of rain since last night. So much that part of our driveway got washed away. Looks like we’re going to need some gravel brought in. But, it’s been relatively dry here, so the ground’s not too squishy.

Since the ground is so wet, and was windy, one of my apple trees fell over. It was mostly dead, as it hadn’t leafed out the last couple years. It had some kind of root rot it looks like. That makes 3 apple trees I’ve lost this year.:neutral_face::worried:

2 Likes

Yup… rain can be worse then wind. Hopefully the heaviest falls over non populated areas.

Clear skies here but not. The smoke from out west must have made its way over because it is really hazy. Temps probably aren’t going to climb as much with this smoke in place. Gorgeous day overall…temp of 71F and a very light wind.

2 Likes

You have a tractor then to level the road? Too much rain, not enough rain… too cold/too hot…lol. We should all live in San Diego :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, yes I have a tractor, and it actually still has the grader blade still on it. But, our driveway isn’t flat at all, so we have drainage issues. I’ve dug some diversionary ditches, but new ones get started by heavy rains. Our driveway hasn’t had any gravel or creek rock put on it in about 2 years.

Oh, and our power went out this afternoon for a couple hours also, even tho it wasn’t storming anywhere close. My guess was that all the rain and wet soil caused some trees to tump over on some power lines. That makes 3 outages this summer.

Does your soil freeze in the winter then? That must sort of lock it up if it does? I think that is what happens around here, but then in spring everything gets soft and then you run into problems again.

I have a bunch of grape tomatoes and they all split from the recent rain…ugh …time to prune and compost.

It does get kinda cold (for me anyways), but I don’t think it lasts long enough to freeze the soil. But we do get a lot of rain in tbe winter and spring, so the ground seems to be perpetually soggy then.

@JackSillin

The most notable change with overnight forecasts from NHC and model guidance is a shift east in the storm’s expected track. The threat to #NewOrleans is no longer quite as high as it was yesterday. The threat to places like #Biloxi #MSwx and #Mobile #ALwx has increased.

Room to plant new ones!

1 Like