How is your weather? (Part 1)

Oh yeah, and I still have 10 apples that in pots that I grafted so I have backups. Just hate losing a 4 year old tree like that, it was our tallest apple. It did bloom this year but the freeze got them all, and then it never leafed out.

I wasn’t sure. Soil up here freezes solid for months most years. The one winter there were city water pipes freezing 8 feet underground (they had to rip apart a road to get to them). I think that is why most logging is done up here in winter…can easily drive heavy equipment over solid ground. Having said that the freeze/thaw cycle eats roads (as do snowplows).

Mid 50Fs overnight…still smoke filled air. You could look at the sun yesterday afternoon and your retinas didn’t melt because the sky was so thick with smoke. Like the apocalypse.

Mobile, Al is under Hurricane Warning

@ScotPilie_Wx

COASTAL FLOODING — Happening now in low-lying neighborhoods in Bay St Louis. This is Chapman Road/Tarpon Drive.

Pensacola Beach apartments flooded on sound side (intracoastal side) due to surge. Ground floors, about 3 feet of water.

@Dave_Nussbaum

#UPDATE: #Sally will now be a Cat. 2 with 105 mph winds later today and Tuesday. There is a chance it could be even stronger (Cat. 3 starts at 111 mph). Landfall will be around midnight Wednesday along the MS Coast. #BeOn4 @WWLTV

Buoy 110NM SSE of Pensacola…

Wave Height (WVHT):
20.3 ft

1 Like

2020…

1 Like

Yeah, lots of activity in the Atlantic basin…hopefully they’ll spin off and fizzle out…

For me, 2020 has been one of our wettest years in recent memory…we usually average about 50 inches per yr, so far YTD we’re at 62…Last year between October and the end of the year we got another 17 inches…crazy to think we could have nearly 80 inches of rain this year…

2 Likes

@warmwxrules I think water lines have to be at 24-30" deep here. Last winter was relatively mild, our coldest temps were about 10 degrees a couple nights. Last winter was colder, we had one night at 0. But, as far as snow’s concerned, we haven’t had hardly any in 5 years, last winter our biggest single snowfall was abt 3".

No smoke issues here, but we’re pretty far removed from the fires.

You’d think that extra cold timber would be murder on chainsaws. I know it doesn’t freeze, but it’s got to be more difficult to cut it. I have a 16in Stihl for clearing small timber falls and the like.

Pensacola declares state of emergency for Hurricane Sally.

14/1200Z UKMET showing nearly 47 inches of rain near Ft. Walton Beach by Friday morning.

Bob, they use feller/ bunchers to commercially cut timber now . these things can level 100 acres in a couple days. they easily operate in the deepest snow here. google it and watch a video of one in action. crazy how efficient they are. logger only gets out to preform maintenance. all joystick controlled and heated / ac cab. theres no real work in logging anymore unless your doing your own property. even the mills are computerized and automated. unfortunately the trees can’t grow fast enough now to keep the wood monsters fed. i can show you thousands of 100+ acre clearcuts around here. very sad.

2 Likes

Do you know the rootstock of the failed trees?

The first one was a Winecrisp on G202, it never woke up this spring. It never bloomed in previous years, but struggled to grow. My guess is standing water or high water table was a factor.

The second was a Grimes Golden on G16. It had been severely damaged by rodents or borers so it had about 50% of the rootstock girdled. It produced a few apples last year, and bloomed this year, but couldn’t handle a freak windstorm in April. It snapped off at the base. I should’ve staked it but didn’t, but it may still not lasted more than a couple more years.

I have a couple other trees on G16 and they’re doing well, including another GG.

The Winesap that fell over this weekend was a potted Lowe’s tree. It said ‘semi-dwarf’ on the label, but nothing else, so I have no idea. My guess is maybe M7, but can’t say for sure. It did have significant root suckers, so that’s why I suspect M7. I remember it came from a nursery in TN.

BTW, all of these trees were planted in 2016.

1 Like

31F last night. Just a few tenders got nipped a little, but I haven’t been to the lower garden yet, it’s usually colder down there. Hope my peppers didn’t get hit, I have to harvest some for drying and some really nice Fresno’s to make hot sauce.

1 Like

Another indication of just how powerful Sally has become is the fact that it has sucked the water (almost) out of Mobile Bay. DO NOT go out into the bay as this will quickly rise once the storm leaves.

TWC says up to 3 feet possible in Pensacola…

969mb now!

@webberweather

Seeing inbound velocities on the Mobile, AL radar of up to 110-115 knots about 3,500 ft AGL in the NE quad of #Sally’s eyewall atm. Standard reduction + gusting places #Sally’s current intensity ~95-100 kts, & potentially supports an upgrade to a category 3, major hurricane.

Looks like Sally made the north turn and will hit Mississippi and mostly spare Lousiana. Probably no rain in Kentucky from it. But, MS, AL, FL panhandle, GA, SC will get a lot of flooding.

1 Like

I lost my winecrisp this summer…deer kept every leaf eaten off…and I had to spray to try and keep that from happening to some other varieties. (Mine on M111)

Other than perhaps needing staking, despite Cornell indicating it is self-supportig, G202 has seemed like a good root. Don’t have any experience with G16.

Eye is about to make landfall near Orange Beach, AL in the next hour or so.
Also unusual to see convection now on the southern side of the eyewall. She’s full of surprises. Also, the eyewall is now pounding downtown Pensacola and entering Gulf Breeze.

Looks like it runs up thru the middle of N carolina and off the coast.

Very fall like weekend for the northeast with strong high pressure moving in over the area.

Temps around here should drop starting today. Highs only in the 60Fs tomorrow.

1 Like

yeah they’re taking about lows in the upper 20’s starting thurs night and highs after that in the mid 50’s. growing season is all done here. even the peppers in the greenhouse are getting picked tomorrow. potato harvest is in full swing by this weekend. high schools 3 week harvest break starts at the end of this week. time for the hardworking kids to make some money! i used to look forward to harvest as i could make as much as $2500 and get all the nice things a teenager wanted. still have my old biker leather jacket i bought in 87’. :wink:

5 Likes

1 Like

Picking all my peppers tomorrow as well. I hope that the forecast holds because it shows some beautiful weather next week back up into the 70s for a couple of days and plenty of sunshine.

1 Like