How is your weather? (Part 1)

It was 27°F on the hill here yesterday. The garden is toast. It was supposed to be clear skies and even colder this morning, but it clouded over. Tonight is a repeat, so another night of wondering if apple crops will get damaged.

I can’t believe how fast the weather flipped. It was a hot, dry summer, and it was in the 90’s only two weeks ago. Tender stone tone fruits haven’t had a chance to harden, so there will probably be some damage there. Fruit buds probably killed already. :unamused:

I wouldn’t expect 27 degrees to hurt fruit buds.

2 Likes

I got a good frost last night as well. Killed my pumpkin vine. I got most stuff out of the garden yesterday luckily. Another Maine growing season in the books.

2 Likes

Fall has arrived with heavy rain.
This is the usual way summer ends
in the Puget Sound lowlands.
It’s not cold-yet
But the dry weather stretch is over.

went down to 29f last night. surprisingly my few hardier peppers are still holding on in the greenhouse. i may get them to ripen yet as its supposed to get bach in the upper 60’s this week and upper 40’s at night. cayenne ring of fire is a tough pepper!

2 Likes

We’ve had south winds for a few days so ended up around 75F this afternoon but the smoke is sort of back (hazy). Should be 80F tomorrow. Hopefully the nights stay cool enough so no ac needed. Thinking about it, i rarely ever need AC in October.

The 1st week of October looks a little chilly in the east. The west still bakes.

1 Like

My peppers are going back out on the deck until they get zapped…hopefully they will get at least another couple of weeks.

2 Likes

Looking likely middle next week frost possible. Probably not a hard freeze. I’ll have to pull everything this weekend and be done. Average first frost is the 1st week of October around here, so right on time.

Just looking at the NAEFS… that 1st week of Oct looks brutally cold in the east. have a feeling growing season could be done for a lot of folks east of the Mississippi.

1 Like

We’re still showing 60/40 highs & lows that week…but the temps have definitely dropped in the long range forecast…would not be surprised to see 50s/30s by the time it rolls around.

1 Like

Looks like a nice start to October

1 Like

I saw a big RV on my road heading out yesterday. Probably going south for the winter. I should have clung to the side :man_cartwheeling:

Nice night here. No wind, mild…park was full of people. Sunset was really nice with just a little smoke in the sky. Topped 82F today… probably not many more of those this year.

3 Likes

Cloudy/dreary but barely sprinkles in Southern Kentucky from tropical storm BETA.
Tennessee and Virginia still getting the moisture though.

Farmer’s Almanac right… definitely cooler than normal in September here.
Let’s see if they get it right that October is going to be nearly same temps as September.

Forecast still near 40 for some more nights in the 10 day.

Good conditions for lettuce and greens.

1 Like

Inch and a half of rain yesterday…80Fs today. I got to wonder if this is the last of the 80Fs for this year. The extended does not look pretty. I’m pulling everything this weekend…the long range looks very chilly :snowflake: Frost for sure…maybe even a freeze.

low mid 70’s over the weekend then cooling into the low 60’s again. hard frost last night down to 25f. a few things are holding on in the greenhouse but are looking ratty. ill pick them mon. as they will still have time to ripen over the weekend. just my cayenne peppers and a few cannabis plants i grow for my step daughter. surprisingly they are untouched by the frost. would have thought they would have been the 1st to die.

Unusually cool and rainy!

NWS has high of 52F on Thurs with mid 30Fs Fri morning. Probably going to miss a hard freeze, but still see widespread frost…should see multiple nights with frost/freeze potential. A warmup comes back with temps probably topping 70F again so reminds me of what happened in Sept (snow in Denver) but shifted east a good bit.

I’ve got to dig out a heliconia i planted back in May (no leaves) that has put on lots of growth over the summer. Hopefully the root system isn’t too huge.

Gloomy weather…temp in the mid 50Fs. Yesterday it was sun one minute, rain the next…all day.

Planting garlic and tulip bulbs.

Coldest morning would appear to be Friday morning…35F. Probably not a season ender yet. Sat morning upper 30Fs. There is light though…the gfs is very mild/warm in the extended so 70Fs should be back by early next week.

75 and humid today…wind driven rain on Wednesday…cool down over the weekend but nothing drastic…looks seasonal and nice next week 60s/40s.

1 Like

After a few cool cloudy days it sets in that winter is just around the corner. I don’t look forward to that. Still should be plenty of mild days between now and early/mid November.

Days are getting noticeably shorter. (light).

1 Like

What a fun little wind event we are having this morning…finally getting rain too. This should take care of most of the apples left on the trees. Our poor trees have been through the grinder as far these windstorms go…they are always from the South which does the most damage due to our geography. Sigh

1 Like