How is your weather? (Part 1)

Wow… very nice. Dont worry…a heat wave is heading towards the east coast n the extended range…especially the mid atlantic region. Record setting stuff by the looks of it.

I hate road salt. I had to beat a tire for 10 minutes with a 2x6 because it was so frozen to the drum (rusted together)…finally broke free. I had these rear wheels off a year ago and they were already that frozen. Drove over a screw and had to plug the tire. Hopefully it holds.

2 Likes

I don’t know what WI and MN (maybe other northern states too, don’t know) are using on their roads now, but it eats steel big time. I see a great number of 2-4 year old pickups (not Fords, aluminum) with rusted out wheel wells. I think it must be that crap that they spray on

OT:
Philipines just few hours from Super Typhoon Goni landfall. Pressure could be upper 880mb and winds 200mph…
Based on JTWC and JMA dvorak estimates of 8.0T, Goni is likely going to be upgraded to 170kts/195mph at the next JWTC update, officially tying Meranti and Haiyan as the strongest landfalling tropical cyclones ever!

@iCyclone

·

8 min

Beastly Super #Typhoon #GONI (#RollyPH) abut to make landfall on Catanduanes Island (highlighted) in #Philippines. Satellite estimates suggest winds of a whopping 170 knots. If it comes ashore at that intensity, it would be stronger even than HAIYAN at landfall—an historic event.

The official JTWC page just updated and this was there (that says wind gusts to 236 mph)

i don’t remember what its called but its mixed with water before being sprayed on. its crap as far as i can see. just makes a slush on the road. Canada uses it so the idea comes from them. its far worse than rock salt but doesn’t break windows like grit mixes used to, so many places are switching to it. seen 4 yr old cars rusted thru with this stuff. the body shops are loving it. luckily they still use gravel/ salt mixes on the back roads.

1 Like

I live on a gravel road and nothing gets spread/sprayed on gravel roads in this township. A neighbor has some old (50s-60s) cars and trucks sitting in his cattle yard (it’s an eyesore, but it’s his property) and they aren’t as badly rusted as many of the new vehicles I see.

2 Likes

Around here they salt the heck out of the overpasses/bridges. The interstate gets salted heavily too and i think that is where our cars get it from mainly. The town here will only salt the bridges and the roads are sanded. The city salts about everything. It is brutal on cars. I have a 2012 Fusion and i noticed over a year ago the trunk had rust on it (the bottom lip) and this car spent a few years in Tennessee. Not fixable, i’d have to toss the entire piece and replace it.

Managed to get into the 60s today but the wind/clouds made it blah. Some kids trick/treating tonite.

1 Like

i meant secondary tar roads. D.O. T takes care of the routes town takes care of the secondarys here.

1 Like

Does rural Maine have dirt/gravel roads? Most of WI does not, there are some national/state/county forest roads that aren’t paved but most other roads are. Very few township roads in MN are paved.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vRUJpctKQ&feature=emb_title

50mph winds overnight. Only managing about 39F today even with sunshine. Forecast shows 60F to 70F for almost a week straight…then it all goes away probably for good.

we have many rural dirt roads but only ones that have yearly occupied houses are plowed. those are also coated with salt/ gravel mixes.

1 Like

Our first frost tonight. Sad. To add insult to injury the temps will warm up and no farther frosts for the next two weeks.

Some significant fluctuations coming towards the end of the week and the week after

1 Like

25F @ 9am with a high of 33F forecast for today, 3" of lake effect snow on the ground with more to come. We’re getting pretty good wind gusts too. Back in the 50’s by Wed.

2 Likes

Long time no come here LOL. Hope all is well with you guys!
We had a bit of snow last night just a dusting. Still too early!!
Is this Canada or California!!
12_AM_1_70

1 Like

Finally had the killing freeze last nite

1 Like

Killing frost was early here in upstate NY, mid-September. The year before I was still picking and pickling peppers in Mid-Oct.

2 Likes

Gusty NW winds today. Cold and clear tomorrow…then a warm-up into the 60s for an extended period into next week.

1 Like

Likewise got our killing freeze here in Kentucky. It was still 29 at 8 a.m. so don’t know how cold it got, but ice in a bucket and wipers froze to windshield. And tomato vines look sick.