How is your weather? (Part 1)

Looks like the last band of snow went thru, we ended up with about 6in, more than I thought we’d get. Had to shovel the deck twice, and then use the shovel to plow a path out to the shed.

We opened presents and then I went out to check things out. Nothing like a fresh blanket of snow on Christmas Eve, so beautiful and peaceful.

Some pics from tonight -

This is our new dog Baxter, he seems to be enjoying the snow. He’s out following me around in it doesn’t seem to be bothered by it.

Best Christmas wishes to all!

5 Likes

Been 50 degrees here since 8:00pm…temps rising all night to about 55…won’t drop below 50 again until tomorrow night. Our snow is gone except for the snow banks. I feel bad for those down South where it’s snowing and cold.

Dropped to -1F here…1st subzero of the season.

Something to watch. Low pressure out into the plains. Track looks to put us in snow and then rain and then finish with snow. Could be a mess for someone. Model has jumped around a lot so nothing set in stone yet.

1 Like

Forecasts bouncing around.

Originally supposed to get like 6 inches of snow, now not.

More pics from today-

Baxter doesn’t seem to mind the cold, or running around in the snow, or maybe he does…

5 Likes

We got a little over an inch snow total. But, it’s 14 degrees and 9 p.m. so looks like we will have our coldest night of 2020 tonight. (That’s right, 13 F was the coldest we had in all of January, Feb, Mar, or April of 2020.) It is mostly clear, so I don’t see it stopping at 14.

We got about 7" overall, quite a surprise we got that much. It is a dry snow, so it was pretty easy to shovel. Was worried about getting up the driveway tonight after having dinner with the in-laws, but no issues. Roads are mostly clear, but some slick spots here and there.

Only got to 19 today, is about 12 now, so we might hit single digits tonight. Got to go turn on the heat lamp in the cellar, it’s 35 in there now. Like you, this might be colder than what we had back at the start of the year, think we hit 10 a couple of nights then. Me no likey the cold, but beats not having to do yard work this time of year…

2 Likes

There’s a lot of variation in the temps tonight…at midnight…it’s climbed from 14 to 15 in Berea.
But at the London/Corbin airport it is 10 and at the Wayne County Airport in Monticello KY it is 3 degrees according to NWS, with a -11 windchill!

1 Like

About 5" of snow here in Northeast Tennessee on Thurs/Fri… .Low of 6F this morning!

2 Likes

Well, got to 9 early this morn, so that was definitely the coldest this year. But, the sun’s out and it’s already 30, plus tomorrow it’s supposed to hit 50, so most of this snow will be gone in a few days.

Went out to the pasture with the dog, and saw deer tracks in the snow, guess they bed down up on the hill and come down at night. No deer tracks around my trees or berry patches, thankfully. My dog was diving down head first into the snow, guess he’s after moles or some kind of rodent. He’s quite the digger.

2 Likes

Are you close to Harrogate? My bro-in-law lives near there. I imagine he got about the same as you guys.

I’m probably 70 or so miles east of there.

Plenty of 'em around here… Hopefully the electric fence energizer around my orchard spot stays hot!

2 Likes

Ok, just wondering.

Heh, yeah, hope your hot wire does its job. I’m more worried about my trunks getting chewed on by rodents before I got my covers put on. Guess I’ll know when the snow melts. We used to have pretty bad deer pressure here, but after a bad breakout of hemorrhagic disease a couple years back, it seemed to knock their numbers down quite a bit. But that didn’t stop one buck from rubbing on the trunk of my Macoun tree recently.

Storm midweek looking to go right over my head. Usually for local areas this would be so so on snow amounts. Big snow storms for here almost always track thru Chicago. Still going to be a mess of snow/rain/snow.

1 Like

Highs of almost 50, lows around freezing.
When I was a kid this time of year was below freezing for multiple days, the entire day, and we’d temporarily store food for christmas parties outside. Now we’re pushing from zone 8 to zone 9, barring some crazy weather event. Rosemary and Bay Laurel are doing fine in ground right now.

How warm does it have to be to start peas and other semi-frost hardy plans? Should I plant now? The ground is not particularly frozen. It is incredibly weird.

2 Likes

Yesterday, I saw Candy Heart Pluerry with a few flowers.

1 Like

I’m putting on tree guards today. It’s about 35 with sunshine and little wind…no snow and the grass is weirdly green for this time of the year…a perfect winter day. Wish I could bottle this one!

2 Likes

It’s about 45 and partly sunny, the snow is really melting off now except in shady areas. Got down to 15 this morn, but that’ll be the coldest for the next week. The snow was nice, but glad to see it warm up a bit.

2 Likes

GFS has been garbage with this coming storm. Now the models are moving the low far south of the area. Heaviest snow would be S Wi/parts of E Iowa. Who knows.

A couple inches of snow yesterday here.

1 Like

It could stick around. NAEFS continues the record? warmth in the east. Crazy stuff. Might really mess with trees depending on how warm it is able to get.

1 Like