How is your weather? (Part 1)

In Spain we now have the storm Filomena, which is leaving snow throughout the Iberian peninsula.
My town is 600 meters above sea level and snowfalls are very infrequent in winter.
For more than 20 years I have not seen scenes like those of today.
I have taken some photographs of a small plot of my orchard.

I have not been able to access the main plots of the orchard, as there are large stones next to thedirt road, and they are covered with snow, these stones are hidden by the snow, and it could damage the off-road vehicle.
This is something unheard of in my population.

The graft cuttings will be well lignified by the cold hahahahahaha

Regards
Jose

15 Likes

Very nice looking orchard

Curiously, I have many photographs of the fruit once harvested, but not of the trees with the fruit hanging.
These three are an example of this summer harvesting nectarines

aa

bb

cc

Regards
Jose

11 Likes

Great looking orchard @Jose-Albacete! Do you hire workers to take care of it? I can’t imagine you do all the pruning, thinning and picking yourself…

1 Like

Ahmad, two of my company employees are also passionate about fruit trees, and they help me with pruning and thinning.
Between the three of them it is a very simple job.
My employees Luis Miguel and Juan also have small fruit orchards (about 40 trees each), and I help them too.

Regards
Jose

4 Likes

Hi Jose! I am in France and looking for red fleshed peach scion wood. Do you have many red fleshed peaches? Your orchard is beautiful! We too had snow. Very rare occrance!

1 Like

Just reading a little…some areas of Madrid have seen up to 20 inches of snow. Most since 1971.

Locally we’ve had 1 sunny day so far this year. The clouds won’t go away. Right around freezing for the high and low/mid 20Fs for the low… snow still around, but the roads are all clear. Looks like the same weather right thru next Friday…

Lot of ice fishing going on. I see ATVs running all over the lake. Not sure if they are driving cars out there yet (i wouldn’t). Guys fishing all over.

4 Likes

i fished on 5in. of ice 3 days ago. was a little hair raising. shacks are out but only in sheltered coves. some guy fell thru with his snowmobile on the same lake yesterday. luckily he was only in 5 ft. of water. no serious cold here either. supposed to warm up to freezing by mid week. we are usually playing with -20f temps this time of year. been cloudy for the most part. not much snow either.

3 Likes

It was a beautiful morning in North Florida.

5 Likes

What kind of mushroom you got growing there?

Ha! That’s a lease land spot for hunting. I did notice the mushrooms to and they are quite big on a decaying tree but I have no idea what they are.

1 Like

Love those pines!

1 Like

Unusually chilly for Uzes, and has the Natives in a Twitter! They are worried about their vines! The stonefruit trees are loving it. I have never seen more buds on trees than I every saw in RI. My trees in pots will be in full flower. I will know when pruning, end of this month if my Apricot died or not. I hope it didn’t removing it will be a real pain and I will have to buy a saw. It is in the very low 40’s to 30’s at night. My heating bill should be interesting!

3 Likes

Snowing here in the midsouth this morning. Not rare. The average annual accumulation is around 3 inches.

Are those loblollies?

1 Like

Winds are back out of the south in S Florida. Should be a warm up now. Been cool down there. I have some family down in the keys the last week (i think they were back today) so i’ve been watching the temps.

Sun today! Nearing 40F right now. Feels mild out there. Still snowcover, it’s about enough to keep the grass covered and that is it.

2 Likes

Rain, rain and more rain today in Seattle, but looks like a glorious mid-week sun break is on tap. Might have to play hooky and go for a hike somewhere.

I love it when tropical folks experience snow, but not in my state!

3 Likes

I really dislike winter! If it wouldn’t snow again this winter i’d be a happy person. Speaking of. We have had a good melting and a lot of grass is showing again in areas. Temps right around 40F the past few days. Having said all that… there is 4 to 7 inches of snow in the forecast starting today :frowning: :frowning:

It seemed like as i hit my 20s my whole view of winter changed from one of slightly positive to 100% negative :slight_smile:

It’s still a positive if you can hibernate and not have to get out in it! (And if you have a warm place for the hibernation.) Now–if you were General George Washington’s troops marching with rags on your feet in the snow at ValleyForge and spending winter in a tent–we don’t appreciate what we have sometimes.

1 Like