How is your weather? (Part 1)

What’s the only thing worse than either rain or snow? Rain and snow… I hope this forecast shifts one way or the other a few degrees…

1 Like

It actually turned to rain this evening…around 37F. The roads were nasty this morning, they cleared completely with just the warmth/a touch of quick sun this afternoon.

Just looking…it was 87F today in Los Angeles…that must be near record warmth.

2 Likes

Light dusting … will be white on the grass and shrubbery in KY in the morning.
Then it will probably disappear except in shade of buildings or what not.

We had a brief ice pellet storm yesterday - which melted immediately on contact

40’s today with a breeze. Very chilly. Hat weather! Curfew at 6pm so you are forced to stay warm!

Roads turned to glare ice this evening. I guess there were dozens of cars off the road on the interstate up on the bluff. 50 cars were stuck on steep section of a highway just out of town.

2 Likes

Slightly above average, no signs of any January thaws though

1 Like

Im starting to wonder if winter is giving up this year? This clears us thru early Feb. Maybe a cold Feb is on tap, but haven’t dug into it yet. I still have just 1 day below 0F (low temp) this season.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/ensemble/naefs/semaine2/images/2021011900_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

Some powdery snow this afternoon. Not adding up to much.

same here. tonight and tomorrow night barely getting down to -0f. back to the mid 20’s over the weekend. got about 8in. on the ground.

What do you hear about snow Fri and Sat for the midwest?

GFS shows 3-6 inches for N Iowa/S MN and W Wi… this season i’d probably bet on the lower amounts… Probably enough though to make a mess of the roads this weekend (sat-sun)…subject to change because models are horrible forecasting snow amounts.

4F this morning…warming back into the mid 20Fs this afternoon with strong south winds. Sunshine today… i think this is day 4 this month with some sun.

We have sun and lower 40’s now. Omaha to get into lower 50’s. Nice for them!

1 Like

We went from 4F to 39F yesterday. Stayed above freezing all night. Still 36F now.

GFS cut snow amounts…maybe 2-4 inches…i’d say this is a more S Minnesota snow but everyone around this area should get something to shovel. Moves thru quick.

I had a morning appointment and afterwards I stopped for a take out coffee. I sat on the edge of our fountain and the air smelled like Spring! It was beautiful and 58 degrees!. I have euro time down but I’m still working on celsius!

4 Likes

We have bud swell on Bradford pears, and I saw a dandelion in bloom today while planting purple leaf sand cherries along a driveway for a client.

1 Like

I hate to post this again… but this is just insane. We might start seeing issues to the south of trees waking up early depending on how much heat shows up. Another spring disaster in the making? Who knows. --this is the 1st week of Feb. Dark reds usually show areas that have potential for record warmth.

I still feel like winter hasn’t really showed up here yet. My wife was saying yesterday felt like March. Looking at the maps. It might be a late winter or no winter.

2 Likes

I’ve already got trees in bloom, should reach peak bloom sometime during the warm next week. So, I’m headed out to do a few plum grafts.

Yes, with 60 likely a day or two early next week…gotta get the scionwood cut!
Bradford pears are swollen now here in Kentucky…
but most of the fruiting pears aren’t yet.
I don’t have any peaches or apricots.

Looks like tonight is going to be our third frost (forecast is 30°F) so far this winter here in Seattle. The two avocado seedlings that I put out as sacrifices (i.e. to make room under the lights) will likely meet their maker.

we had a few evenings that barely got below 0 but no day time lows that cold. 3 winters ago we had daytime temps of -20 all of jan.and most of feb. that would be more a normal winter for us. next week supposed to creep up to 30 again.