How is your weather? (Part 1)

In the mid to high 50’s but raining again. Three days in a row. A bit of wind, that is strong enough to push one side of the shutters closed.

3F here this morning. Still only the second coldest so far this season. Sunshine now but snow later. Should make the roads a mess.

I have about 20 potted plants in my kitchen. For the last 6 weeks about once a week i hear a chirping type noise. I think there is a frog in one of the pots! I hope he/she makes it. Still some time left before going outside again.

4 Likes

It is COLD here tonight with a howling Northwest wind. Should get down to low single digits…probably the coldest night of the season so far…warm-up heading our way like everyone else on the East Coast in the coming week.

1 Like

Looks like half the country will be warming up.

2 Likes

We had a low of -3F last night, the coldest temp this winter. I also had a Facebook memory pop up, 10 years ago it was -27F.

2 Likes

I expected the big warm up in the east after Groundhog day…but looks like it’s coming early.
Which means we hardly had winter. But, at least maple trees aren’t blooming, a couple times in the last 40 years or so I’ve seen them bloom the last week of January here.

I pulled out my journal. In 2020 I had blooms on Loring, Reliance, Ozark Premier on March 4th. By the 10th, all the rest of the plums. Is this going to be a repeat year do you think?

This… the extreme temps are missing so far this winter. Even last winter was “mild” by local standards. Its like ever since the Arctic plunge of Jan 2018 (-33F locally) it really hasn’t been anywhere near those levels.

25F …a few inches of fluffy snow overnight.

1 Like

Hard to tell that far out, but it does look very mild along the east coast, if not some record heat in areas. Maine and northwards should also stay very mild.

West coast troughing and east coast ridging.

3 Likes

For 11 years 1985-1995 I kept a looseleaf notebook journal.
On bloom time of most every plant…

I did it because I had lots of honeybees and I’d know when to expect orchard blooms, when to expect dandelions, tree blooms, pollen sources, and the main honeyflows. Also, by looking at the pollen, know what the bees were currently working on.

Interesting…but took quite a bit of time…I don’t have those records anymore…but some of it I still remember.

1 Like

We didn’t get the low temps in 2018, the lowest we had that year was -17.5, but that was in November. We usually have a few nights in the -20’s in Jan or Feb, but we never got it.

in jan. 18’ it hit -37f. was -20f during the day for all of jan. and most of feb. with a high amount of snow. not as bad as 08’ when we broke our all time coldest record. was -50f at the big black river in allagash and over 200in. of snow. but was still wicked!

I still think the worst winter was 1996… there have been some cold year between then and 2018 but those 2 are probably the 2 coldest for extremes locally. Every 20 years isn’t too bad. We then had a winter --maybe 2000-2001 that never went below 0F until March of that year. The river was never frozen and i was out boating in Feb.

scratch that…it was 2001-2002 … .DecJanFeb …the lows were 0F 1F 0F … keep in mind the avg number of days below 0F for this area is 24 days

funny, i remember 96’ as having lots of snow until the end of jan. then it all melted down to dirt, then the month of march it snowed like hell again. we were renting my aunt/ uncles place on the lake. it was crazy that year.

Had cold and snow in KY both 96 and 94…I remember in 96 having an office in town…and spending the night in a sleeping bag on the concrete floor…so I could be/get to
work.
Sure enough, federal, state, local governments were closed and schools out of course…but did the most business in that office during a whopper snow ever.
Closed it after that spring…too much work and no profits.

1 Like

Big snow storm is coming tonight with 8 to 12 inches of snow. My snow blower is gas :fuelpump: up. Ugh :weary:

1 Like

I had a lawn chair in my office at work for months when it snowed so much. I would spend the night there so I didnt have to drive home and then turn around and come back. Someone had to open up, and saying I couldnt get there wasnt an option. The problem was that the overhead light had a motion sensor so it kept coming on when I turned over on that gosh uncomfortable chair.

2 Likes

Snowing hard in Des Moines now!

2 Likes

The 90s had some cold winters but also some very mild ones late that decade (el nino 97) .

I remember walking over to my friends (school had been cancelled for 2 days for cold–which was very rare) and his mom thought i was insane to be outside (it was -20F or something). Another fun thing…our high school had an indoor swimming pool so depending on the time of day you had class you’d walk home with wet chlorine smelling hair that would freeze–i love swimming but man i hated those swimming classes.

0F this morning. Kids went back to school for the first time since last March.

Only showing an inch or less up here.

2 Likes

Couple inches here, less than They Said it would be. Snow kind of icy, not fluffy alas. First time this year it’s enough to run the snowblower.

1 Like