How is your weather? (Part 1)

they never cancel for temps -0f here except in 08’-09’ . they couldnt start the buses at -45f. so they just cancelled for the day. i remember going to school in blizzards and helping our bus driver put on chains. we always wondered how the hell he knew where the road was! Mr. Pinette was a 40 yr. veteran bus driver that often had a heavy foot. you listened when he spoke. we trusted him completely. we would sit in the back of the bus and cheer every time he hit a drift. the whole bus would visibly twist! those were the days! :wink:

1 Like

They said it would be 10-14". We got 10.6" at midnight. A record for this day in Jan. Total amount to be determined yet as it snowed for 2-3 hrs. after midnight.

We lived in an area that was close to all 3 schools so i had to walk everyday from preschool to 12th grade. I did get picked up a time or 2 from my friend’s mom when it was pouring. It was nice though because i came home for lunch almost everyday from k thru 5th grade (mid/late 80s) and then again from 9th to 12th grade. I never once ate hot lunch in high school (although we did go to Mcdonalds a few times). Very open campus at all of my schools (middle school was a little too far to be running home and back at lunch although i’m pretty sure i did it a few times). You could just leave and no one said anything. The 90s were great for that.

Light snow again this weekend…maybe a few inches.

Uh oh. GFS shows -20Fs the second week of Feb. Yikes!

3F this morning. Sunshine.

2 Likes

Yeah, me too! As a 5 yr. old walked about a mile to school every day(in the late 50’s). Parents thought nothing of it. In the winter time it was up hill both ways in 4’ of snow!!

3 Likes

Our weather forecast just popped up on my screen. 62 degrees F in Uzes, France. We don’t even have a January thaw! So this is good news, It has been chilly, but not even cold enough to wear a hat. Tomorrow is the big marche day, every Saturday, so I will take pictures. The red currants and red raspberries are starting to show again. I have no idea where they are from. I bought a small container of red raspberries today. Tasted horrible. Way to early, probably covered in chemicals, from who knows where!

When I was a kid, the idea of NOT walking to school was inconceivable

3 Likes

You should see it today. There is traffic jam dropping off kids at school.

No hills where i lived, but plenty of snow.

Speaking of snow. Hawaii (mauna kea) got dumped on. What a crazy place. You could go snowboarding and in 2 hours be surfing (14,000ft to sea level). From alpine conditions to coconut palms.

5 Likes

It’s OK. Too expensive. Even too dangerous.
And there is more.
Some South Pacific Island would be preferred if I were looking for tropical islands with snow at the peak.

Obviously the GFS (or any model) is extremely unreliable in the 384h timeframe, but holy cow this would be very bad news for anyone in the PNW who has any kind of tender plants outside. Might want to start keeping an eye on the 10-day forecast soon.

We got 2" of snow on Wed night, was 15 last night. Most measurable snowfalls since we moved here 7 years ago.

1 Like

Over 2.00" of rain this week, here in parched CA - this is a huge bounty!

1 Like

Polar vortex looks to break into 2 pieces…one comes over Canada/N US. Something to watch for sure. Winter is going to show up.

Day 10

GFS has what would be a rain storm next week. Almost an inch of liquid.

3 Likes

I wasn’t up in time to see the low this morning :grin:
But, it’s only climbed to about 34, maybe 35 today despite full sun.
22 is the forecast tonight, 19 was the forecast last night.
And 20 is the forecast on Monday night.

Should help our trees remain dormant here.

(And if winter shows up in February in Kentucky, then the Old Farmer’s Almanac sure blew it …they say 10 degrees above average for February!)

1.25" of rain today in San Diego, it was very much needed!

Winter is coming…

3 Likes

Pouring rain today! Smells like spring even though is a month off. Time to spray copper and oil.

2 Likes

Radical adjustment in the 7 day forecast here…instead of 20 for a low, theyre now saying 13 come Tuesday morning! Brrrr. So, coldest day of the winter may still be ahead…
despite the Old Farmer’s Almanac calling
for 10 degrees above normal
for the Ohio Valley in February.

2 Likes

10 day forecast here looking like it could bring some of the coldest weather of the winter so far. Still, -13 isn’t really that cold for this area. We had sub-zero weather in November, but not all that much since then.

A few more cold snaps coming. We’ve had some very intense rain storms and it looks like more coming. Im tilling today for l! ettuce, cabbage etc. That can take a few frosts. Any suggestions on other veggies? Im in N FloridaScreenshot_20210130-105629_The%20Weather%20Channel|450x1000](upload://4XFZAnIr4EMR0TOe1lvmwQjKSIK.jpeg)

3 Likes

SW FL will probably experience the coldest weather of the year from 2/10 - 2/20…because that’s when my wife and I will be on vacation there :roll_eyes:

4 Likes