How is your weather? (Part 1)

Sorry to say but it happens. Best of luck to ya guys…

1 Like

No worries. I guarantee it will be much warmer there than it will be here.

2 Likes

I’d like to go down there and not come back. My wife’s coworker just moved down to Ft Myers area the 1st of the year–she did live in Minneapolis. I’ll be interested in seeing what she thinks of summer.

It will be warm for sure. Cold doesn’t stick around down there long when you are surrounded by 70F+ ocean water.

2 Likes

Ft. Meyers is a good 400 or so miles south of my place in Monticello. I actually get season changes here. Its really no more hot there than here though in the summer. Just they dont get frost or the cold drops like we do. Summer is hot everywhere in Florida.

2 Likes

My wife and I go back and forth on moving to SW FL (We like the Venice area) in maybe 10 years or so. Summers in SW FL are probably about as “nice” as winters in central MN. I think I’d need to spend a few summer months in WI or MN if we relocated to FL. I’m not a fan of how government is run in MN (I’ll leave it at that), so a move may become more likely when I get to the age that my S.S. is taxed.

3 Likes

I would say the big difference is we do get cold fronts here in summer that push dewpoints and temps back to very comfortable conditions for a few days. So we see a few nights in the 50fs. Makes summers a lot more enjoyable and allows the AC to go off. Winter still sucks and Florida is 100x better :wink: from probably Nov-April.

I bought some potting soil at menards today==frozen solid. Should start snowing soon.

1 Like

Looks like the earlier GFS model showing single-digit temperatures in the Puget Sound basin ~10 days out has fallen by the wayside, latest model run shows only a couple borderline frost events through the end of the run. Whew.

Here’s the single coldest frame (for us at least):

Still thinking a blast of cold here…probably negative teens//maybe a -20F…that second week of Feb looks ripe for a blast. I hate winter but at least its Feb and not Dec.

1 Like

ice fished in the biggest icefishing derby in the state in 8f temps today with 10-15 mph wind. -18f wind chill. so far im the only one registering a lake trout out of 1058 registered fishermen/ women. 6lbs 11oz. 1st place is $1500, 2nd $800, third $400 smackers so the sacrifice is worth it. :wink:

5 Likes

Mighty fine…is it a multi-day event?

yes one more day but weather will be brutal again tom. thinning out everyone but the most hardy. i cant fish tomorrow as i slipped and raked my plam across the cleated running board of my snowmobil etoday needing 7 stiches at the E.R. it was quite deep and the 6 mile drive across the drift covered lake was excruciating. it bled so much that it soaked my insulated mitts so im out of the action for tomorrow. praying and hoping. the money would be well recieved. :wink:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that…you’ll need the prize just to break even it sounds.

I doubt if we’ve had enough ice to go ice fishing on a goldfish pond here.
A little sleet turned into light rain…now it’s back close to 32…up and down…
but that’s good, things won’t bloom out so early.

Get well, and good luck with the winning fish!

1 Like

Snowing in brownsburg VA for about 4 hours and coming down heavy. Havent seen a snow plow yet and we live about 10 minutes away from one. Winter wonderland if you dont have to work.

3 Likes

Guy stuck in the road in front of my house until the plow just came by. Usually they’re more timely getting it done.

A quarter inch of snow overnight. Sunny now, but light flurries at same time. Doesn’t sound like we will get much more. East of St. Paul.

About 2 inches of snow here.

Should stay mild and then next weekend the polar vortex should make an appearance.

2 Likes

Looks like central florida might be getting a frost event in a week, if the GFS has it right…

Next Monday morning would have high pressure right over N Illinois. That will not be a fun day to get going in the morning. Probably -20F or so locally. With light winds and clear skies…probably some fresh snow too. Ugh… it will be a perfect situation for cold air drainage into the river valley (the surrounding bluffs will stay 10F or 20F warmer).

GFS has some 40Fs into Ft lauderdale middle of this week. Something to watch. Chilly for that area.

Next Sunday should be a tad colder but probably depends on local wind conditions (wind should help mix a little//keep temps up a little). So much for my peaches. maybe i’ll throw some blankets over my smallest tree.

looks like 4 to 10in. coming tues and tues. night. i dont care for more snow but am welcoming it for the businesses relying on the snow tourists coming here.its the 12in + storms i really dont like.

1 Like