How is your weather?

So do you think your peach fruit buds got fried by the sudden very cold temps?

Did you lose any trees back in the winters of '14 and '15?

The orchard we frequent lost a lot of their peach trees due to -20F temps three years ago. They planted a bunch of new ones that year, but late frosts have kept them from getting any fruit off them the last couple years.

There is probably something to this idea. But I’ve lived for about 45 yrs in west Texas. Some winters we have no rain or snow and we average about 0.5 inch per month Nov-March. Temperatures go from 70 to 15-20 almost every week. I’ve never that I know of lost a plant from drying out. The only plant that regularly dies back is figs. On those the south side can be more damaged than the north. That seems more like a sun dried issue. But at any rate figs just aren’t very hardy. They often die back in winter even near the gulf coast where average winter lows are 40F. I think it’s more the rapidly fluctuating temps that kill fig tops. They always grow back. Even when heavily covered with leaves and carpet mine have died back.

Plants without leaves loss almost no water thru the wood. Compared to summer with leaves the water use is maybe 1/10 of one percent. Maybe frozen wood could dry out. If frozen the wood might not move any water.

My deck 5 min ago (was clean this morning):

I’m not too worried about the cold spell a few days ago. We had a good period of cold weather leading up to it, and it only got down to -9F. Of course a lot of winter and spring to go yet, so no celebrating so far here.

Last winter it also got to -9F and there was considerable loss of fruit buds, but that event happened without much cold weather at all. It was very sudden.

I’ve mentioned it on the forum before, but for the last few years, I’ve been moving toward trees which are hardier and bloom later, so I’ve already gotten rid of a lot of trees which are questionable in marginal weather.

I’ve only lost peach trees when I’ve pruned them too hard too close to winter (and mainly young trees). It’s not been cold enough here to kill peach trees outright unless they are under a lot of stress which slows dormancy. But in the last 20 years or so, it really hasn’t gotten that cold here. I think around -12ish is the coldest it’s gotten during for the last couple decades.

In 1991 it got down to around -22F for the all time low record for Kansas City. I remember that cold snap. It was close to Christmas. My guess is that it pretty much iced all the peach trees in the state. Cold snaps like that will come again. Records are made to be broken, but I hope it’s a long time away.

Just for my own curiosity, I looked up the official winter lows for KC (according to a local weather station) and these are the low temps for the year, starting with 2001

-6F 2001
-4F 2002
-9F 2003
-4F 2004
-5F 2005
+4F 2006
-3F 2007
-4F 2008
-6F 2009
-5F 2010
-12F 2011
+5F 2012
-2F 2013
-11F 2014
-3F 2015
-9F 2016
-6F 2017

Temperatures in my locale vary a little because I’m a little south of KC but they are pretty close. 2018 already has a low of -9F (on New Years morning).

@Olpea --> Thanks for sharing. I suspect a chart of lows for my area in NE Ohio would look very similar. It is encouraging to see those numbers and know that you have success growing peaches. My trees are still only a few years old, but I’ve had some success after a few bad winters. I’m a little worried about all the young grafted trees I have in containers in my unheated garage. Usually it doesn’t get below freezing for very long in there, but this year is different. I have a bucket of water I’ve been monitoring and it has finally frozen completely. The trees are apricots, peaches and euro plums on K1, prunus americana and M2624.

Ztom,

We’ve only had a complete crop loss of peaches once since the year 2000 (somebody want to knock on some wood). That was in 2007 when the Easter freeze killed almost all fruit crops in the Midwest and parts of the South. It was an early spring that year, and everything had pretty much bloomed out with a bitter cold spell blanketed much of the nation (got down to 18F here). There have been some thin peach crops, but that was the only time in the last couple decades when no one around here had any peaches.

Out here (US SW, in the mountains) it is less the minimum temps than the damage a strong sun will do to a tree. Heating the bark up during the day and then a quick drop back down to 10F or lower once the sun goes down. That’s why I paint my fruit tree trunks with white. Have had numerous trees loose branches and outright die from the effects of the sun during cold weather.

You folks getting this storm, followed by a blast of cold might want to pay attention to how sunny it is (unless of course you’ve got enough snow on the ground to protect the trunks).

With this gigantic dump of white stuff the rabbits will be looking at the trunks of my trees, I just know it. Right now I am snowed in and only one door opens inward. We have at least 4’ drifts outside of all doors. I’ll have to deal with it tomorrow.

It was 80°F here today. Yesh.

Picture and recipe please!!

A guy named Larry Rice shared this poem on social media. It speaks volumes lol! Fortunately our location is the better portion of the state in terms of weather. We have not been below -9F all year to my knowlege. Seldom do we see -20F here even on bad years but it does happen. DE151A02-012A-4118-A2DE-FE4EE85B91DA

It is currently 16 degrees and feels like 12. With only a few exceptions this is about as cold as it gets at my location. Hoping the extra chill hours helps the flowering of some of my apples. Liberty, Williams Pride, Arkansas Black, and few antique varieties appeared to need more chill last year.

Mid 20’s for a few days starting Sunday…time to break out the shorts and t-shirts

coldest morning for me at -13.8F. For how little snow on the ground (many areas are bare) the frost depth has to be very deep right now.

Was “only” 8 this morn, single digit lows for the next couple nights, then back up to “normal” temps next week. Yay! We and the pets will really appreciate that. Thankfully no plumbing or car issues.

Still keeping the long johns on, tho. Good thing I got a new pair for Xmas, the old ones were getting a bit ripe… Or, is that TMI?

will send pic from my phone

My husband just got out of our front door. All of the snow is now covered in an inch of ice not good.

The coldest temp Yahoo shows so far this winter for my five-year-old rural hobby orchard was -19 F. on New Year’s Eve. This will be a fairly good test of what is hardy enough, although it can get down to -30 or lower some extreme winters. There are a few inches of snow on the ground. Items in question would be my new Illinois Everbearing Mulberry, Sweetheart Blueberries, Siberian C peach (already killed top off a previous winter, but has resprouted), Carpathian walnuts, several chestnuts, a Chinese apricot, and protected PAFs. I think most of the other blueberries, honeyberries, apples, blackberries, raspberries, bush cherries, currants, gooseberries, nut pines, filberts, and butternuts should be fine. The hardware cloth I had around my surviving scrawny pecan tree tilted in the autumn and the rodents got under and girdled it, so I don’t give that one much hope. It sounds like a warm spell coming next week.

U

Homemade meringue, small scoop of vanilla ice cream, small scoop of raspberry sorbet; both placed in the meringue nest. Cover with whipped cream, drizzle raspberry coulis, top with a few fresh raspberries. That should do it!