How is your weather? (Part 1)

Man, looking at Houston weather, those folks are getting blasted with some very bitter cold (for them). Predicting low teens. Say goodbye to tropicals, and citrus if that materializes.

Kevin, if you haven’t yet, might be good to open the coolant drains on it, so that it can drain out some when it does melt again. Won’t help as far as what damage has been done, but might prevent further.

Water is kind of odd as it solidifies, it shrinks in volume from 32F to ~20F (from memory, so approx), then it starts expanding (which is where the damage comes from), then at some colder temp starts shrinking again.

On a positive note, if you just had a boil over and then refilled, there is a decent chance that quite a bit of the original anti-freeze mixture was still in there. So even though you refilled with water you might be at 25% or more glycol. It hopefully was enough to prevent freeze damage.

When you go to restart it, be sure that the block and radiator are fully “defrosted” and the coolant is all liquid. Even worse things can happen if you try to run an engine which has ice in the waterpump, radiator or somewhere else…

Temperatures in Siberian village sink to -88F.

5 Likes

Geez…20’s to 70’s…Florida…

Pretty cold for my area.

3 Likes

Yes…we are 9 degrees this morning in East Texas. Colder than places in Alaska for instance. Our zone levels are being pushed!

5 Likes

Negative 16 this morning, pretty cold for here

2 Likes

Kevin,

I’ve not seen a tractor engine without freeze plugs, so that’s some built-in defense. As Chickn mentioned, freeze plugs aren’t hard to replace. Just look the engine over carefully to see if any have blown out. Sometimes there are some freeze plugs you can’t see because they are encased in the housing which bolts the transmission to the engine. Also Chickn probably took it for granted that you know, how to remove a partially blown out freeze plug. But, in case you don’t know, if you see a freeze plug which is partially blown out or leaking, you may be tempted to drive a screwdriver in between the freeze plug and the hole to pry it out. DON’T DO IT. The round hole the freeze plug fits into is a sealing surface and must remain pristinely smooth. You don’t want any gouges in it. If you have to remove a freeze plug, take a self-tapping screw (the kind with a hex head used to screw into metal - It will have a little drill bit head on the end of the screw) and use a screw gun to drill that into the middle of the freeze plug. Then you can get something like a hammer or nail puller on the end of that screw head and pull the freeze plug out.

It’s not useful to you now, but for future reference you may not be aware antifreeze not only prevents freeze-up but also helps with cooling the engine. Anti-freeze lowers the boiling point of the water so that the coolant doesn’t boil off as easily.

Antifreeze also serves as a rust/corrosion inhibitor. That may not sound like a big deal (after all, who ever heard of an engine block rusting out?) but internal engine corrosion is hard on water pumps and freeze plugs can rust through. Also proper anti-freeze can prevent cavitation in the water pump and cavitation around the cylinder walls of diesel engines. (Am I making you feel worse, yet?:fearful::wink:)

Seriously though, Derby, Chickn and Steve333 are right. All may not be lost. Freezing doesn’t always break things. Iron or copper pipes can sometimes freeze without breaking. I even freeze stuff in mason jars in my deep freeze sometimes.

Just make sure you get some anti-freeze in the tractor and let it warm up so it circulates everywhere as soon as is practical. Just because freezing doesn’t break things the first time or second time, doesn’t mean it won’t eventually break something from freezing/thawing repeatedly.

Lastly, just a reminder to anyone who hasn’t thought about it, that it’s a good idea to put some anti-freeze in any spray equipment you store outside. I’ve seen spray pumps broken because they froze. I’ve even lost a spray gun because of freezing, even though I thought I had removed all the water from the sprayer. Now I just put a little anti-freeze in the sprayer and run it through, in the fall. It only takes a little bit of anti-freeze.

3 Likes

My gosh Derby, is that thermometer right? That’s got to be some kind of daily record at least?

1 Like

I love your dog, he reminds me of mine (in attitude, not appearance.).

Us humans dealing with this cold down South are like, “Oh goodness, look at the temperature! It’s so cold! Brrrr…Stay inside!”

And your dog (and mine) is just totally nonchalant about the whole thing like, “Wazzup? How ‘bout throwing my ball?”

Then again, it may be easier to be nonchalant about the cold when you’re wearing a fur coat. :grin:

1 Like

Yes, you’re right… but my dachshund does NOT have the same attitude!! Bruce loves it though. He will just lie out on the deck and wish for the snow more often.

1 Like

thats insane! coldest we got actual air temp record was 10yrs ago. -50f at the customs building on the big black river. that winter was brutal! jan and feb never got above 0f during the day. with winds there were days of -70f windshield factor! water mains 20ft underground were bursting. i can relate to these people but we usually aren’t that cold for long periods like they are.

1 Like

Ice , ice, baby!

I have block heaters in all of my cars. I plug the wife’s car and mine in whenever the temp is 0F ish or lower. Makes a HUGE difference. The car starts easily and it warms up—as in the vents will actually throw out heat in short amount of time. I set mine to run 2 to 3 hours before i’m ready to go so it isn’t on all night. I installed them and they are easy outside of the coolant that comes gushing out when you remove the freeze plug. Mine were both located in the back of the engine (front wheel drive 4 cyl cars). I just teflon taped the block heater threads and no leaks were detected. You do have to run the engine and make sure you get all the bubbles out of the coolant system.

New GFS has NO snow for us here…everything is Minneapolis and north. Still shows OVER an inch of rain …which is crazy for this time of the year.

I think one of the biggest draws to electric vehicles (say a Nissan Leaf/Tesla model S/X) are the ability of those cars to preheat…even when not plugged in. Obviously you are eating away at range when you do that unplugged, but getting into a preheated 70F car on a cold winter morning would be nice. Like fossil cars, electrics take a winter hit too…but nothing you can do about that. I watch my mileage and my little car drops from about 30mpg in warm months to around 24mpg this time of year (if not lower)… All that thick cold grease/oil/tires losing pressure—spinning tires (snow)… really eats into the mpgs…

1 Like

I would say so , my brother six miles west of me had -12 and another friend of mine showed-14 on his truck. Here in town they had -8. I live on a hill but it is only 150 feet above the valley and there are miles of flat land north of me that are actually at a higher elevation than I am. I think that sometimes there cold air settles down hill and fills the valley up below me to the point it overtops my little hill

1 Like

19F along the Gulf of Mexico…that is some brutal stuff… look back to the north and Canada is out of cold… everything got dumped south… full warmth ahead.

I enjoy cold weather, but the homes down here in general are not properly insulated (at least most of the track homes built in the mid to late 90’s) nor are the heating systems up to the task of keeping up when temps drop below freezing…we have a forced air system that uses a heat pump and if we set the t-stat about 66 and the temps drop to about 32 the heat runs all the time, and it’s expensive because it’s electric…we’ve used our fireplace more times this year than in the last 2 or 3 combined…We don’t mind piling blankets on at night, in fact I prefer it, but who wants a cold house unless it’s summer time…back to the insulation, the recent bout of cold weather prompted me to look at ways to keep the heat in and cold out. Our bedrooms which all have outside walls are much colder than the rest of the house. Part of it’s the windows, which even though they’re double-pane get a lot of air penetration at the bottom. I’m sure after more than 20 years, the outer gaskets aren’t sealing well. So a couple trips to Lowe’s for some peel and stick weather stripping, (also tried one of those draft buster deals but it wouldn’t work with our type of window), I was able to drop the temps around the base of the window by about 3 degrees…not much but every bit helps. I’m sure all of you currently freezing in the great white north really feel bad for me…

3 Likes

:grin:. When I was a kid, we lived in Pennsylvania, and for some reason we had baseboard heat. We had much the problem you describe, except my parents, to save money, set the thermostat to 60 (and of course, that meant there were some places in the house that were below 60.)

We were constantly sipping tea and huddled under blankets in the winter. It wasn’t until I became an adult that I realized most people did not do this. :grin:

Of course, as my parents said, it builds character. That chill you have in your body right now is all your character building. Think of it that way. :rofl:

3 Likes

I love the old “it builds character saying”…funny how I find myself saying the same thing to my kids…Talk about cold…when I was a kid we lived in the mountains of West Virginia in a small house my dad built, wasn’t much more than a cabin really…we were at about 3000 ft in elevation…the only heat in the place was a pot belly stove and we slept in a loft up on the second floor…we used lots and lots of quilts…let me tell you, using an outhouse in the dead of winter when it’s 0 degrees outside is a unique experience…

3 Likes

I’m in PA and live in a house built in 50’s with base board heating. Recently we did an addition to the house and that new area has forced air heating. I love the base board heating. So much more comfortable to the body compared to forced air.

1 Like