How is your weather? (Part 1)

After watching branches fall from trees at an alarming rate, I went out with a broom and got all the snow off the branches in my orchard. I did lose the top of my arborvite and the netting above my chicken coop collapsed under the wet heavy snow.

I have serious concerns about when to put the mason bees out. I waited on installing their house and now there is a foot of snow on the ground.

2 Likes

OMG!!! no words. Where is this happening??

we doing pretty good here. high 50’s to low 70’s. Dapple Dandy and santa rosa are about to pop. actually dapple dandy has some open flowers. Not good for us. We will have more freezes. Its a 3n1 with flavor king and queen. probably too low chill for me.

No snow, only rain in the 30’s😢

Cold here tonight, supposed to get down to 24. We had snow squalls with high winds roll through earlier today, quite intense at times, but too warm to stick for long. I was out digging up a water line, was chilly, but with long johns on and a parka, it wasn’t too bad. Even though I set the thermostat inside to 61, it still felt toasty coming in from outside.

Peaches are at green calyx stage, but I think they will be OK tonight. This will be the coldest night for the next week.

I’m in Cold Brook, NY, 20 miles north of Utica, NY. This is normal snowfall here. Snow will be gone 2 weeks before us only 6 miles away.

1 Like

Watch next Thurs-Fri… Trough west coast pushes ridge out front over the plains/midwest…some 60Fs should be in cards (warmer?)…

No snow!!!

1 Like

Time to get out the soil thermometer

Yup…model looks even a little stronger this afternoon…this snow should be gone in a few days around here…should allow the temps to take off.

My house plants need to go outside and breath…and i’ve got some budded seedlings from last summer sprouting shoots. Looks like some of my Flavor King on apricot seedling have takes. My plumeria also started blooming again in the last few days.
…scratch that…Gardenia is blooming…plumeria dropped lots of leaves, but is sending up new growth.

4 Likes

Low pressure conveyor belt.

Well, guess I ain’t gonna do no bush-hogging today!

We got about an inch or so of wet snow, weren’t really supposed to get more than a dusting. It never got below freezing, and it’s supposed to get up to 50 today, so this will all be gone later today.

Some other pics

14 Likes

Very nice pics, my favorite type of snow, stuck to the trees but melted on the road

2 Likes

Well, like I predicted earlier, the snow is gone, revealing the green grass and mushy ground. So, it’ll be a few days before I can get the tractor out.

When I went down to the mailbox, I noticed the Paulownia and one of the old cherry trees lost part of a limb, I assume due to the wet snow weighing it down. One of those branches landed precariously close to one of the gooseberry plants. Those two cherry trees are full of dead wood, and would be better off being cut down. Even though they still produce a bit of fruit every year, it’s way too high up for us to get to it, and the birds pilfer it before we would even have a chance. So, it wouldn’t be a big loss.

1 Like

Have you considered stump grafting?

Zone 5- Some sort of viola/Pansy found starting to flower in the lawn today

Zone warmer then 5

2 Likes

Yeah, I suppose that is a possibility. Would be a shame to waste a big rootstock like that.

Question: I believe it is a tart cherry tree, planted by my wife’s family decades ago. Can you graft any sweet as well as tart cherries onto the stump? But, not any other stone fruit, correct?

If one does graft onto the stump, would you do it along the inside of the bark (inlay)?

1 Like

1 inch of rain in an area is enough to evenly cover the ground in that area with a layer of water 1 inch deep.

1 Like

Okaay…

What?

Technically speaking one might take issue with that statement. It’s true if the ground is flat and level. If not flat and level then there is more surface area of soil than for the flat and level condition. I’m not just taking about the water running off, rather surface area. Rainfall is measured with a level rain guage. The soil is seldom if ever completely flat and level. The surface area of a sq mile of rough mountains can be way more than a sq mile.

I know I’m just being picky…lol

3 Likes