How is your weather? (Part 1)

We got snow and ice last night. I’m at petal fall on my peaches and plums.

I’m so frigging grouchy but all is not entirely lost yet, I hope.

Well it was blowing snow sideways 2 secs before i took this pic…

1 Like

Are those ironwood (Am. hophornbeam) trees still holding leaves in the background?

looks like beech.

Getting hammered with lumpy, wet snow. The lights flicker every so often. Mild wind so far. This storm is to be followed by rains. The Pics were taken with my iPad through one of my kitchen windows. Ugh! At least all of my buds are still asleep. Wise trees!

4 Likes

Hang in there. Spring is just a few weeks away! I am doing some garden cleaning this next couple of days due to a brief warm front coming with the temp in the 50’s.

Tony

1 Like

yes as @moose71 said, they are beech. I’m not really sure why there are so many young beech trees as there isn’t a mature one near us. Must have been a huge tree somewhere along our property or the adjacent federal land to cause so many babies in the seed bed.

We got all snow. I think @Johnthecook and @Courtney may get the most snow among us in MA this time.

This was taken across the street three hours ago. Snow is continuing to come down non stop.

5 Likes

Horrible! Our lights are flickering here and there, and of course, i am so nervous about losing power. Last week, live wires came down in front of our house, and then a tree fell down, and the cops had to show up so people didn’t drive over the wires. We were blocked in for the day. Today, we have howling and gusty winds, which scares me…Although we had cut down our trees, our neighbor’s trees are too close to our house. We came out to shovel earlier but the winds are so bad that our cheeks felt like open cut wounds. We had to stop . We are trying to lighten the load but the winds are unmanageable in this condition. So, we will be back out to shovel out our driveway once again in a little bit, as the plow truck has plowed us in again. I can safely say that it is the same picture above. It was over the height of my knee when i came out to shovel our walkway, and it is still coming down…i just hope that our power is ok, and we have heat.stay safe, out there, Tippy!

I’m at the Cape Cod Canal we are getting hammered hard.

1 Like

No beech here.

Good luck with the snow

John,
I hope you turned your car around and not driving over that fallen tree.

Courtney, please take care. We are fine here. Only snow, not much wind.

Also, we have someone plowing our driveway :blush:

No this is Plymouth, my neighbor was trying to get home from work.

squirrels might have buried seed in that area. I’ve seen them spring up a long distance from mature trees. birds can spread them too but likely squirrels doing.

really? i would think you guys would have lots of beech. they like to grow in well drained soil on ridges up here. we are losing a lot of them to a invasive virus that attacks the bark that stunts and eventually kills them. they make great firewood and the nuts are very tasty. like a miniature chestnut.

Just looked at gfs…ugh…chilly/coldish right through the end of the month. As of right now…50Fs look to be about it for warmth. Very averagish for these parts but still would love a couple of 60Fs thrown in just for a taste of spring.

They make good fire wood yes, but when seasoned, it’s like cuttin through concrete!

1 Like

it is some HARD wood! my cousin brought some 6 ft. logs up from s. maine for his camp. they were 14in. seasoned black locust. heavy as hell! took a good 30 sec. to cut one piece off but that stuff burnt long and hot. tried splitting with a maul. had to rent a splitter. would just bounce off!

Nope no beech. I personally haven’t seen a beech any further west than maybe 30 miles inland from WI’s Lake Michigan shoreline.

Well, I decide to brave the cool weather and crawl under the truck to put the new starter in. It’s been near 40 all day, and the winds are out of the north.

I got the starter mounted, and was in the process of tightening some of its bolts when we got hit with a sleet squall. So I had to come in and wait. Well, that turned into a snow squall, and within half an hour we had a quick half inch on the ground.

So, my work on the truck will have to wait. Just came in to watch the local weather, and we’ll be getting these skiffs all evening, so no point in continuing.

It’s supposed to be 25 tonight and mid 30s tomorrow. Winter’s still hanging on it seems.