How is your weather? (Part 1)

Just looking out into mid April and beyond…looks awful. Nothing remotely spring like. Nothing is going to move in this weather…which is good…but i do hope that we go warm late April and have hot May/June with lots of sun to get things moving very quickly…

NAEFS is hinting at warmth building into the southern states…so maybe that can expand northward. Could see some severe wx with this type of setup i would imagine…

A hot May is exactly what I fear - too many crops, especially if planted late because of the cold April, will bolt with sudden extreme heat

For my place it depending on where you look for your forecast. Weather underground is this:

and accuweather is this:

My own thermometer always shows 2 degrees lower than WU says, so I don’t want to risk :slightly_smiling:.

Probably snow early May and then be mid 90Fs a week later.

This afternoon…

Can see some green to the south…Iowa needs some snowcover :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You get the best graphix!

I find that AW tends to be on the low side

Local WX forecasters calling for 28 tonight, 55 and 60 the next couple days, but perhaps up to 3" of snow Saturday, and then down to maybe 20 that night. WU says 17, NWS says 21. :fearful: Say good bye little peach blossoms!

I have a bunch of berry plants coming in tomorrow. Don’t know if I should plant them Friday, or wait for the really cold stuff to pass. Getting 3/4" of rain again last night didn’t help either.

What a nasty, wet, cold winter (and early spring) this has been…

Dormant berries?

I have kiwis, gooseberries, jostaberries, plums and a few blueberries leafing out… and we are expecting a low of 26 on Sat night. At least my cherries have somehow remained stalled with green showing but no blooms.

1 Like

i have a large amount of cuttings and dormant plants in my garage. checked them last week when it was in the 40’s. my currants were starting to leaf already. so i repotted them and put under my leds in the front room. i hope they don’t get too big as i i have to keep them going indoors till’ at least mid may before i can put them out. come on spring!

1 Like

Yeah, 14 dormant rasp and blackberries from Indiana Berry. If I don’t get them in the ground Friday, then I’ll put them in the frig and plant them next week. I’m thinking the ground’s still going to be too muddy Friday.

I brought my newly potted up apples in for tonight. They’d probably be OK out in the shed tonight, so I guess I might be a bit over-protective. They did get a little bit of sun today, even though it didn’t get much above 40.

You just gave me an idea. I mentioned that I brought my newly potted up apples with new sprouts in tonight because it’s supposed to be below freezing tonight, also Fri and Sat nights. I leave my grow lights up in the hall for when my tomatoes and other veggies start. I’m not using them now, so I might put my apples under the lights tomorrow for the next 3 days, give them about 15 hours of light a day, maybe.

1 Like

We’re good!! Thanks!

1 Like

subdood - My forecast is not as bad low 27, I will lose 10 to 90 percent of my peach blooms, my trees are at different stages. Looking at some pear damage, my trees are at full bloom. One forecast says a low of 23, I am ignoring that forecast. If I lose my peaches, I am going to heavily prune my trees this year.

2 Likes

A few days ago they were saying maybe 26, which is tolerable, but most consensus now are about 21, which would fry most of the open blooms. But, we are also supposed to get up to 4" of snow Saturday, so maybe if they got some snow on them they might get a little insulation? Probably not enough to matter, though.

One kinda good thing is that my Contender and Blushingstar haven’t fully bloomed yet, but they are just a year in the ground, and aren’t big enough to produce year. The two year old Coralstar and Redhaven have the most open blooms, so I’m afraid they’re goners. We got down to 27 here this morning, so that might’ve done some damage.

My two year old pears are starting to leaf out with no blooms yet, and the one year old pears are still sleeping. I have 17 apple trees, and only one is showing any green sprouts right now. I pruned most of them Tuesday, I hope the cold temps don’t hurt them after they’ve been cut on. My guess is if they aren’t growing any at the time of pruning, then they’ll probably be OK.

We’re supposed to get a couple more nights near 30 after Sat, but the long range forecast is above freezing for the next week after that. I’m hoping we’re also headed into some drier weather, I have to start turning my garden plots soon.

1 Like

My trees are further along. When I was home two days ago all of my trees are in full bloom with some of the early bloomers almost over. I have already lost Blushingstar and likely CoralStar and Elegant Lady. The 27 degree temp will hit all of my trees at full bloom including my Asian Pears. Some of my apples were showing pink. I am hoping just lose a small percentage at 27 - at 23 F I will likely lose 70% to 100% I don’t think the pruning will hurt. My peach trees go crazy with new growth when cut in the spring.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, I guess our weather has been colder longer here than where you’re at. Hopefully it will only drop to 27 there.

I pulled up the GFS forecast model for the next few days, it’s saying 25 for the lowest here, but it’s in 6 hour steps, so it might dip below that in the interim:

Here is the snow forecast model, we might get as much as 5".

1 Like

Mmmmmm…don’t you just love that April snow? Not that many years ago i got some of the coveted May snow. :wink:

Sometimes (most of the?) those snow maps are garbage, but the last storm was about dead on with snow amounts.

Seeing 2 rounds of precip here… one late weekend (few inches of snow) and then rain next week as we warm to 50 …still see absolutely nothing that says pull out the shorts and/or the thongs.

feh … snow

My wife just informed me the wind ripped down my hoop house, pulling the concrete blocks that were holding it down onto the bed and crushing several spinach plants.

This spring has been a true test of my gardening devotion.

1 Like