How is your weather? (Part 1)

If it continue snowing like this,I like the sacrifice to the snow God idea

I’ll sacrifice a rabbit

1 Like

Mrs. McGregor, I presume. :rabbit2: :pie:

1 Like

For those of you still “enjoying” winter:

3 Likes

Not liking this spring. Thru yesterday this was the coldest start to April in almost 150 years here.

Lots of light at the end of the tunnel. Spring would seem to “start” on Saturday and next week looks downright mild (60Fs) if things play out. Continuing i still think mid 70Fs or better before month is out. Bloom is going to happen very quickly.

1 Like

10 day forecast showing some 50s and a 60 or two. Should be lots of melting and thawing soon. I’ll be wearing shorts before May :crazy_face:

1 Like

In South Texas we often say spring lasts two weeks… then straight to summer. This year has been such a delight to bask in the mild temps (50’s to 80’s) for months on end. The fruit trees have loved it too! Here’s to spring for you guys up north; hope you get it soon!

7 Likes

what cultivar is this red leaf peach/nectarine? Very pretty!

1 Like

SpiceZee! Still holding onto the red foliage.

They keep pushing it back. It was supposed to be Friday. Now, Saturday. Tomorrow, they’ll say Sunday …

1 Like

It’s been tough to get anything done. I’m going to have to skim over my blueberries this season instead of doing a thorough pruning. Still have 1 and 1/2 rows of raspberries to weed and prune…those are a must. Then on to peaches next week. Also have about 60 peach trees to plant that I am picking up at Fedco next Thurs. I’m hoping that mowing can hold off at least a few more weeks…we’ll see.

1 Like

just starting to see grass near the driveway here. about 18in. on the lawn. the rain is putting a dent in it finally.

Most Orchards I have seen are grown in areas that do not promote extensive grass growth. My property is the absolute opposite. If it rains, the grass shoots up. How do most folks handle this for large scale orchard (5-10 acres)? I’m currently spraying the rows, and mowing the centers, but want to move toward complete no - spray. I replied to maineorchard because of the “60 trees to plant” as well as holding off on mowing, but open to any and all experiences.

There’s really only a few ways to control grass/weeds.

-Herbicide

-Smothering (i.e. mulch, plastic or organic, weed barrier)

-Cultivation (popular with farmers before herbicides, the drawback being some damaged roots, erosion, loss of organic matter)

-Animals (not very popular with commercial operations because of potential damage to the trees, and because of new food safety regulations)

Most operations (probably 95%) of the size you mention use herbicides, unless they are growing in a place with little organic matter and essentially no rain (i.e. parts of CA).

I use a combination of organic mulch and herbicide.

2 Likes

Is that good or bad, though, Rob? It is almost perfect here. Run the cold out as long as we can then flip the switch to warm. Would be fine by me, if I were growing fruit this year. Bad for the spring veggies, though, but I could take them or leave them. If only we hadn’t had -25F-ish cold in January as part of this pattern.

Spice Zee Nectaplum.

That’s been my general thought… Sigh. I may test some fruit for a few years, and verify if any herbicide makes it into the fruit or not. May not be a big issue to worry about anyway!

1 Like

The heater turned on last night at 62F! I don’t remember it ever turning on in April in the 6 years that I have lived here. Perfect chilling weather yesterday with temps between 55F and 41F. Too bad it is too late. Had an earthquake, hail, heavy rain and a thunder too!

1 Like

True about the good, but i’ve got so many trees still parked in my garage that i want out of there! But yeah…i think once it flips, we might not be worrying too much about hard freezes/frost because of the lateness the bloom will be occurring.

12z GFS has shifted the heaviest snows SOUTH so we would be more on the northern fringe here…something to watch. Still should grab a few inches. NAM is all over the place.

It is snowing again in Wyoming, yesterday it was in the high 60’s, today 34 and snowing…I need sunshine. Lol