How long does glysophate take to neutralize?

Did you use brand Roundup? Some of their products contain other active ingredients in addition to glyphosate.

1 Like

No, I buy a gallon at a time when they go on sale for like 35 bucks from a Farm Store. It’s called Blain’s Farm & Fleet.

It’s all the same stuff. I shop for Glysophate never Roundup when online looking at stores, Dax.

Triclopyr 4 works better in my experience. It contains a penetrant - you’ll immediately smell it when the bottle is opened.

1 Like

If I do anymore trees again, I’ll try that.

Thanks.

Waited a bit and some rain, it looks like everything worked out well…

2 Likes

Glyphosate news-

Many people continue to use glysophate for killing brush. As long as people use straight roundup or half and half it will some things nearby

Government researchers getting government desired outcomes. When roundup first came out,it was so expensive that farmers tried to be creative in lowering costs. Recirculating sprayers were developed to spray a horizontal stream across crop rows and catch all the stream that did not hit something above crop canopy in a container. to drain back to a pump to be sprayed again. A brilliant idea but a failure because dust that got into the stream neutralized the chemical and after a few hours they might as well be spraying water.

Another vote for triclopyr from me for controlling woody brush and trees. As with any herbicide, read the label and figure out what is safe and what is not. I’m using it to clear a bunch of brush from the area where I have pecan trees planted.

I’ve used glyphosate to kill trees in the past. It takes a very heavy dose and repeated spraying to do the job. Triclopyr is much more effective on woody plants.

2 Likes

I have used glyphosate as brushed onto stumps at 20% concentration and it seems to work well like that. I have only done this for autumn olive (and one other tree - see below) so it may not work as well on other trees. But I have killed 100s of autumn olive at this point. It was recommended to me by extension as a way to get rid of autumn olive.

As a small aside, there was an extremely thorny bradford pear about 10 feet away from some pear trees I have. It was huge: 30’ tall and 1’ diameter trunk. I had trimmed it so the branches weren’t poking me, but then it had a million suckers coming up and was in the way and I was constantly getting stabbed by it. I had not yet joined this site (now I’d probably try to graft over it!) and also didn’t know about rootstock.

I cut it down and very very carefully spread some 20% glyphosate on the cut stump. The pear tree 10 feet away died.

Now, I’m supposing either it was an off shoot of rootstock somehow or the roots were touching underground or something.

I read this about Tordon and maybe something like that happened.

As another aside, I noted that @clarkinks had some autumn olive with good fruit. Maybe I should try grafting some of my autumn olive. Thought I’ve cut down 100s it barely made a dent in the amount I have - that just cleared my driveway and the area near my septic field.

2 Likes

@benthegirl

Goumi can graft to autumn olive.