How much fruit do you eat in a week?

And the rest of us won’t tell you guys how much we weigh since we love to eat and do not run (bad for knee joints). :joy:

Those that can’t run should walk. Being over weight and out of shape is worse on the knees than running. I ran 25 yrs and have walked and hiked for nearly 30 yrs since. My knees are fine. Everything else should be so good.

I weigh about ten pounds more than I did in 1995, but I wasn’t that skinny then either, lol. I like to eat dark chocolate with a hot pepper.

Chocolate (dark) is an herb, high in antioxidants. Enjoy.
It is hard to pig-out on dark chocolate so it is a safe addiction. :relaxed:

Haha, same here! I love food. My diet varies a lot, but I usually eat more than 30 pounds of fruit every week, especially during the summer months. I typically have a papaya for breakfast, 4-5 peaches throughout the day, pineapple with lunch, and squash with dinner. I’ll eat whatever is in season though.

I understand why some people want/need to avoid sugar, but I have never felt better since having so much fruit available to eat. I lost over 50 pounds two years ago and I believe it’s because of my change in diet.

1 Like

You live in Lacrosse, Wisconsin, of course you eat cheese n’ butter on EVERYTHING!!

2 Likes

Not in my book. When you squeeze the juice from the pulp it is no longer fruit but fructose water which your body metabolizes in a different manner (sugar spike).

Here’s a couple of paragraphs from an article on the subject.

Whole fruits, he explained, contain a bounty of antioxidants and healthful nutrients, and their cellular scaffolding, made of fiber, makes us feel full and provides other metabolic benefits. When you bite into an apple, for example, the fruit’s fiber helps slow your absorption of fructose, the main sugar in most fruits. But fiber is not the full story.

“You can’t just take an 8-ounce glass of cola and add a serving of Metamucil and create a health food,” Dr. Ludwig said. “Even though the fructose-to-fiber ratio might be the same as an apple, the biological effects would be much different.”

Fiber provides “its greatest benefit when the cell walls that contain it remain intact,” he said. Sugars are effectively sequestered in the fruit’s cells, he explained, and it takes time for the digestive tract to break down those cells. The sugars therefore enter the bloodstream slowly, giving the liver more time to metabolize them. Four apples may contain the same amount of sugar as 24 ounces of soda, but the slow rate of absorption minimizes any surge in blood sugar. Repeated surges in blood sugar make the pancreas work harder and can contribute to insulin resistance, thereby increasing the risk for Type 2 diabetes.

Here’s the link to the entire article on the superiority of whole fruit. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/?_r=0

3 Likes

Alan, that kind of article is why I always thought there was no need to limit the amount of fresh whole fruit you eat.

I decided to ask Google and here are a few interesting articles.

Basically, the science seems to say more is only better :grin: Time to go grab another peach :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

The first article seems to answer a question I had in mind- whether blending fruit ends up freeing the fructose from its “cellulose scaffolding” therefore turning it into poison sugar (although a poison whose symptoms require very high dosage). The answer is that blending does not separate the sugar from the cellulose from my reading. Smoothies are still healthy!

Well then, Alan, it looks like that rules out anyone counting their glass of wine in the fruit category. :wink: :smile:

I probably eat more fruit year round than any one on this forum,
way more than 30bs./week. It’s at least 75% of my diet, and in the
summertime, probably more. Sure, it’s a lot sugar, but it isn’t processed sugar, and it’s a tremendous amount of fiber. I had a physical last week and I weigh 168/ 6ft.tall, my glucose is 84, blood pressure 117/79. I also do 9 miles on my exercise bike every day in less than 25 minutes, and I’ll be 70 in October.I forgot to mention that I drink a couple of beers every monday afternoon with some old fraternity brothers. I think those mondays are the secret, along with the hobby we all enjoy.
When you guys retire, if you don’t have some hobbies that keep you active, chances are you won’t live very long or have relatively good health.

3 Likes

But I thought you said is was the two beers with the fraternity bros! That was the part I like.

My trick is not to have enough money to retire and a way to make money that keeps me active- something I’d do as a hobby (just,not on their property) even if folks didn’t pay for it.

4 Likes

I guess we are all different, and your metabolism copes with sugars well. I have eaten several apples a day since I was a child, at least in season, but my glucose is marginally high. And I eat no sugar, no wheat products, and no processed foods. What keeps my blood glucose down is the fiber without the sugar.

I have read studies from several nutrition doctors like Dr. Ludwig that Alan mentioned and they agree: whole fruit doesn’t negatively affect weight or glucose. Boiled commercial fruit juice is another matter. You kill the antioxidants and remove the sugar from the fiber. I don’t really like running, so I get my exercise while stealing second base in a baseball game. If it’s fun, you will actually do it. Skateboarding too. Glib is right: no processed foods or added sugar. Learning how to cook is one of the best things I ever did. We even put quinces and apples into our green salads. Figuring out how to make vegetables taste good is harder than fruit but well worth it.
John S
PDX OR

That depends entirely on how much fruit you eat and how much else. Calories are calories and 20 brix fruit will have more than enough to put on weight if eaten in large quantities. Also I’m not so sure about the blood glucose either. It seems to me that low fiber fruits like watermelon are going to be different than an apple.

Everybody keeps telling me moderation in all things. Here’s a case where I’d agree. I’m not about to eat a 100% fruit diet like I’ve seen some folks doing on TV.

proponents of the paleo diet suggest eating low sugar fruits, berries essentially. In fact, there are phytochemicals in apples (which are high sugar) in particular that are important, specially to me. In Fall, they clean out my system every year. But mixing vegetables in equal amounts as fruits will certainly help one’s health: more Mg, Ca, K, folate, carotenoids. Fruits have the great advantage of being eaten raw but there are lots of veggies you can eat raw as well.

Yes I eat lots of raw veggies: mostly carrots, cabbage, and cauliflower. I prefer my greens cooked partly to avoid contamination like e coli. But also because they taste better with some help from other ingredients.

I probably have been eating a lb a day of fruit recently and more if counting watermelon.

I’m reporting on the studies. They ate preposterously huge amounts. I do agree about mixing in processed food, cheap fat or simple carb, then all bets are off.
john s
pdx or

1 Like

If you read the studies, it appears the quantity of fruit eaten is not related to weight gain. While you are undoubtedly correct that calories in minus calories burned are what’s used to store fat, but you need to consider the affect of eating fruit on our overall appetite. Apparently, whole fruit is more satisfying or filling per calorie than other foods, so the affect of eating it in any quantity we desire doesn’t end up leading to higher rates of obesity. Statistically speaking of course- individual results may vary, I suppose.

I understand what you guys are saying. My personal experience says that for instance if I add watermelon in place of water surprise surprise my weight goes up. But then it seems that one needs personal experience with being obese or at least over weight to have any credibility regarding weight control. Those that maintain a constant weight are just lucky.