How to embrace the agitated mind

Drew, do you know where I can find information on what other insects this might possibly infect? My current thinking is that chemical, both organic and created, measures have the ability to negatively impact both the targeted pests and other unintended living things. But that appropriate use limits the range of action to my vicinity. Whereas, since bacteria are replicating, the potential for broad and increasing consequences, both good and bad, is greater. I would feel more comfortable with the use if there was considerable research by parties who had no potential financial gain from sales of the product. Do you know if this exists?

Personally, Iā€™d be more comfortable with a biological agent than a chemical solution as long as I felt assured that the action was appropriately limited. Also, if this is marketed as a pesticide, did it require EPA approval?

I know that information is a lot to ask from you. Possibly these questions have been addressed in something youā€™ve already heard or read.

This morning the JBā€™s found a new party ground - devouring the containerized strawberry leaves on my deck rail. I squished at least 15. A few minutes later 5 more had decided to pick up where the others left off.

What kind of light do you float in your pool to attract JBā€™s?

Itā€™s not a chemical, itā€™s a living organism youā€™re introducing into the environment.

Well no, it is very new. At one time I knew the guyā€™s name who did independent testing. He was the chairmen of the Horticultural dept at some University? I forgot which also? You could research other Bacillus thuringiensis

National
Organic Program (NOP) certified for organic production. -

Yes. I was attempting to explain why I hesitate to introduce living organisms into the environment. :blush:

Thank you for sharing what you do know. Iā€™ll have to learn more before making a responsible decision on whether itā€™s appropriate for me to use. I appreciate the information youā€™ve shared.

It should kill all grubs too, once the beetles die, and fall to the ground the bacteria can escape to the soil and be ingested by JB larvae, which is will also kill. Probably any other larvae too. June beetles, PC etc. Iā€™m excited about using such a safe product compared to what i have to use for peaches.

I have to order a new one for this year (ASAP! doh) - but these work particularly well since I have a soft-sided pool:

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-110-120V-Pool-Wall-Light/dp/B002V1H13K/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1434668862&sr=1-2&keywords=magnetic+pool+light

If you put it a foot or two down the wall below water level, they try to swim or dive to the light I think. So satisfying, having the skimmer chock full of them. I have to look more closely at the dead beetles: I read that light traps are effective for BMSB. I havenā€™t seen damage from them but that would be an early surveillance tool.

For an inground or a steel sided pool a floating light does work. Iā€™ve used them too but they didnā€™t last a whole season and the side wall light being deeper may snag more bad bugs - Iā€™m hoping anyway.

Thanks.

Most welcome!

Two days ago, I discovered that the Japanese beetles are back. I found two mating pairs and squished them immediately. I applied milky spore last year so Iā€™m hoping this year isnā€™t so bad. Last year they almost completely defoiliated my sweet cherries and plum trees. I lost a Bing cherry scion last year and they were partly to blame for its demise.

1 Like

They are here too. Same thing first ones mating on top leaves and eating them too. I had some phoebes that have been sitting on my fence post the last few years. They eat a lot of the beetles. They snag them out of the air and they snag them off the fencing and leaves too. This year they were scolding me as I came out of the house like their young were on the ground. I looked around and didnā€™t see any baby birds so I went back in to let them do what they had to do. When I came back out they were gone and havenā€™t come back. Itā€™s been two weeks now. I have a red tail hawk that ate the robin eggs. I wonder if it got their eggs too. Anyway, Iā€™m going to have to battle the beetles on my own and Iā€™m thinking my trees are going to get stripped too! They are the worst!!!

Was spraying some neem under my pumpkin and zucchini leaves when lo and behold, along comes a nice fat SVB. Lands right in front of me. A jet of neem took her down nicely and my foot did the rest.

It should not feel that good, but it does. :wink:

My pumpkins are not showing signs of wilt; stems are darkened though at the bases. I pulled one to do a necropsy. No borers, no holes, no frass and no bacterial threads either. Will spray and monitor. But the SVBs are flying here, thatā€™s for certain.

1 Like

It also sounds like Neem does nothing to disguise or deter those squash vine borers from the squash. Well, except for use in knocking them out of the air so you can squash them yourself. At least you got one out of commission. Awful things they are.

I was using the neem, kinda feeling OK but thinking I may want to do more ā€¦ then when I saw the proof of life in Flying Red Mamma I got out the permethrin and sprayed the bases and below the leaves. Pulled off some zucchini flowers to keep it all bee safe for a few days. I have to work tomorrow but starting Thursday night/Friday morning I think some stem-injected spinosad might make me rest easier.

Awful. Agreed. If they just took a bite, I get that. Wiping it all outā€¦not kewl.

Adding a bit of a rant - mostly to myself - the Plan was to grow parthenocarpic zucchini in the small greenhouse I bought for just that purpose. That the spot has been cleared for. Got busy. Didnā€™t set it up. Said I didnā€™t need the headache of zucchiniā€¦ and I take my niece to HD to get HER veggies and somehow I end up with regular olā€™ zucchini. So here I am, playing with relentless squash vampires again. Another Homer Simpson moment.

Impulse buying. :disappointed:

Stomped about a dozen JBs to death today.

Drowned another dozen in a tupperware container filled with puddle water.

They must all die!

Please report what was the last day that you had a Japanese Beatle in your zone ??

1 Like

I have a family of phoebeā€™s that are tending my orchard. They are eating lots of bugs and beetles. They left for a while and I was concerned, but they came back with young ones, yea! I also have some cardinals that help out. They usually snag them out of the air when flying.