How to measure brix of fruit?

I have seen a lot of referance here to brix numbers so I bought one of the mentioned refractometers. It came with directions of how to calibrate it but that was it. Would one of you members kindly clue me in on your procedure for checking the brix of a piece of fruit. I have some apricots that need to be checked at the moment. Seems like there should be some standard way to prepare a sample so that the numbers obtained have a common meaning to other peoples test results.

2 Likes

I think most people just squeeze some juice into it, but there’s probably a more scientific way to do it (puree & filter the entire fruit, maybe, to balance out the differences in sugar in different parts of the fruit?).

1 Like

I simply squeeze some juice of the fruit onto the sloping window, close & raise to the light. Mine needs the edges held down by fingernails to spread the juice & get a proper reading. I bought it used from an arborist. A friend of mine bought one new that spreads the drop of juice without help. It also has a higher scale than my own, so we could read 31 Brix when testing the juice of an overripe Hewes Crabapple.
I gently rinse the surfaces and wipe dry after each reading. BTW, Brix refers to the French fellow who worked up the device, so I capitalize his name.

2 Likes